I CAN NOT Believe That Chuck Schuldiner Used A Valvestate Head For Death Tones

Robotechnology

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a 8100 and considering how cheap they arfe they have some pretty good tones. Ideal for heavier types of metal since the gain is very saturated.

However, they dont have the bottom end of something like a 5150 or ENGL, but considering they are about 1/3 of the price, cant complain.

• Members

Originally posted by Big Hair

I have a 8100 and considering how cheap they arfe they have some pretty good tones. Ideal for heavier types of metal since the gain is very saturated.

However, they dont have the bottom end of something like a 5150 or ENGL, but considering they are about 1/3 of the price, cant complain.

Compared to my Laney the valvestates has an awesome bottom end! Its kinda the prefect frequency to make both me and the room shake! I have the 8200.....great for industrial tones

• Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

I am not surprised at all.

I used a VS100r combo for many several years on gigs. I go the same kinds of tones I hear in the bigheads...just not the same volume and headroom.

I took a lot of the "buzziness" and "fizz" out by having the high EQ and presence at or near zero.

Who woulda thought you can do that to an EQ?... adjust it.
:idea:

Then add a little studio magic...there's no reason at all you couldn't get some serious marshall crunch.

Nope, not surprised. OF course I actually USED one on the gigs intead of in the store or read the H-C reviews.
:rolleyes:

I uysed to have that same amp. Good amp. Wish I didn't sell it.

• Members

Originally posted by Slayenemy

:)
ahh this must be post Leprocy album were talking, because the guitar tone on that sounds like shit times 10. SOUNDS OF PERSEVERENCE has really really good tone though. Is this the amp he used on that album as well?
:love:

Leprosy was a Marshall JCM800 and a Boss SD-1 as a Boost.

Sound of Perseverence was the Marshall 8100...

• Members

Originally posted by ishoulddie

i think Chuck used the 8200 head, with built-in stereo chorus.

James Murphy also used the 8100 on the Disincarnate album, as did Tommy Victor from Prong on "Cleansing".

Disincarnate's album is my fav death metal guitar sound of all time. TS9 -> Valvestate 8100 -> JCM800 Cab(rented from Bill Steer). m/

• Members

The Marshall 8100 was my first guitar head. After I saved enough money, I was glad to sell it. I couldn't stand the thing and don't see how anyone got 'great' tones out of it. Maybe mine just sucked, but I don't think it was defective or anything. Oh well, I'm onto bigger an better things now.

• Members

Originally posted by exposeenmity

The Marshall 8100 was my first guitar head. After I saved enough money, I was glad to sell it. I couldn't stand the thing and don't see how anyone got 'great' tones out of it. Maybe mine just sucked, but I don't think it was defective or anything. Oh well, I'm onto bigger an better things now.

A lot of times it's the settings. Did you try all the EQ at ZERO? People think the EQ's have to be at 3 or 4 or 8.

What kind of cabs and speakers did you use? Simetimes a speaker will have a peak in the freq right where the amp has...."fizz" or...um..."sizzle" (subjective terms, those).

Sometimes a cab won't profect bass freq well, making the AMP sound like it sucks.

What kind of guitar were you using? Some guitars and pups have certain frquencies that peak or dip. I think EMG's can enhance the high end or "fizz" of certain amps.

I think even "bigger and better things" are influenced by all these factors as well.

• Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

A lot of times it's the settings. Did you try all the EQ at ZERO? People think the EQ's have to be at 3 or 4 or 8.

What kind of cabs and speakers did you use? Simetimes a speaker will have a peak in the freq right where the amp has...."fizz" or...um..."sizzle" (subjective terms, those).

Sometimes a cab won't profect bass freq well, making the AMP sound like it sucks.

What kind of guitar were you using? Some guitars and pups have certain frquencies that peak or dip. I think EMG's can enhance the high end or "fizz" of certain amps.

I think even "bigger and better things" are influenced by all these factors as well.

ive found an eq in the loop works wonders as well

• Members

Yeah...the Valvestate models were real pieces of work...not like these {censored}ty ass AVT's.

I have a VS100 combo that I'm extremely proud of. It's gain structure is extremely organic, I feel. No, it's not as good as an all tube amp, but I mean...I got it brand new for $370 because they were getting rid of it, and that's a hell of a {censored}ing deal. It sure beat the {censored} out of my Crate.

• Members

DSCF0072.jpg

I have one. I can get chuck's tone on symbolic and TSOP to a tee. Chuck really loved these amps, saying that they were the best metal amps available. Of course the guy was on crack, but for him, they served their purpose beautifully. I don't think much studio magic was involved. I've read interviews where he stated that it took literally 10 minutes to get a good guitar sound and then they were good to go.

• Members

Originally posted by The Idiot

DSCF0072.jpg

I have one. I can get chuck's tone on symbolic and TSOP to a tee. Chuck really loved these amps, saying that they were the best metal amps available. Of course the guy was on crack, but for him, they served their purpose beautifully. I don't think much studio magic was involved. I've read interviews where he stated that it took literally 10 minutes to get a good guitar sound and then they were good to go.

I can't wait to get mine! I'm not the biggest death fan, but IMO Chuck has an awesome tone and was an awesome player. I just love the tight Marshall crunch so hopefully it fill fit the bill.

Arn't you selling your 8100? How are they for shredding stuff?

• Members

A VS100 was my first head, and I had it for about 4 or 5 years. I've always been a huge Death fan, and I rmember playing one thinking...'wow...this sounds just like the Symobolic record'!!!! I was sold, than and there.

Wasnt until a year later that I found out that the VS100 IS the 'Symbolic' tone! Definately a great head, especially for the money. This tihng sounded huge going to tape too. For the record, my gear back than (circa' 1997-2001) was a BC Rich NJ Warlock w/ a DiMarzio Super 3, and a BC Rich Bich neck thru w/ a DiMarzio X2N, the VS100 head, and I was running a DOD graphic EQ, and Boss ME-50 (later upgraded to a GT-3) through the loop...the outboard EQ did ALOT to really liven this amp up. I was running into 2 Marshall 1960B cabs, loaded w/ GT-75's. I wish I had my Sonic Maximizer when I had that amp....I think they woulda been great freinds.

After the Marshall, I moved onto Randalls, and have been a Randall user ever since. I've played those AVT, and the Mode 4 on more than a few occasions....neither of those has that 'mojo' the VS100 had. I never got to play the 8100 or 8200 head though...I hear those are even more stellar.

Oh...and those MG's........everyone I've heard was total tinny garbage, no matter HOW you tweak the EQ

• Members

Originally posted by JnBroadbent

I can't wait to get mine! I'm not the biggest death fan, but IMO Chuck has an awesome tone and was an awesome player. I just love the tight Marshall crunch so hopefully it fill fit the bill.

Arn't you selling your 8100? How are they for shredding stuff?

This amp is very tight and I presume it works well for shredding - I don't really shred so I woundn't know. My lead work is more blues based in the vein of slash, but if you dig chuck's lead work, well, it will sound like it.

I don't want to sell it, but like everyone else, I need the money. I just bought the fender twin recently which sent my back 800, and now I want to get a sansamp psa-1 with a rocktron velocity 250, so like I said before, I need money. Man, these boards do not help out in the moderation and being happy with your tone department, they just fuel the need to get new {censored}, god bless em....

In short, these babies are extremely fun to play. Moreover, you can play them at low volumes and still achieve high saturated distortion without waking up the neighbors, which is cool when you want to jam to death records.

• Members

Originally posted by The Idiot

This amp is very tight and I presume it works well for shredding - I don't really shred so I woundn't know. My lead work is more blues based in the vein of slash, but if you dig chuck's lead work, well, it will sound like it.

I don't want to sell it, but like everyone else, I need the money. I just bought the fender twin recently which sent my back 800, and now I want to get a sansamp psa-1 with a rocktron velocity 250, so like I said before, I need money. Man, these boards do not help out in the moderation and being happy with your tone department, they just fuel the need to get new shit, god bless em....

I really want to try a PSA-1 in the future with a VHT power amp. I think a Lee jackson Gp-1000 is next on my list with a VHT power amp when I get the cash.

I play with only one pickup in the bridge (like Chuck) So I think I will just be fine. One trick pony amp with a one trick pony guitar. :thu:

(and a one trick pony guitarist) :wave::freak:

• Members

Originally posted by JnBroadbent

I really want to try a PSA-1 in the future with a VHT power amp. I think a Lee jackson Gp-1000 is next on my list with a VHT power amp when I get the cash.

I play with only one pickup in the bridge (like Chuck) So I think I will just be fine. One trick pony amp with a one trick pony guitar.
:thu:

(and a one trick pony guitarist)
:wave::freak:

You're all set then:thu:

Chuckschuldiner.jpg

Archived