OT: Devin Townsend Appreciation Thread!

Kevin_L

• Members

If you've heard his solo work, then I'm sure you were amazed at the power and energy of his song writing just as I was.

If you haven't, check him out! If I were to describe his music, it would have to be: "Atmospheric Prog Metal". However, if you're just too metal to listen to anything in a blatantly major key, he might not be for you. :D

Heres a sample of his music:http://www.hevydevy.com/audio/mp3/dtb_storm.mp3

You can find more on his site.

My favourite albums include:

1. Accelerated Evolution

2. Synchestra

3. Terria

4. Ocean Machine - Biomech

And to keep this semi on topic:

Does anyone know what gear he's using? It sounds very recto-ish to me, but I can't seem to find any solid info.

Discuss :thu:

• Members

My favourite musician.

My favourite albums from him are:

Ocean Machine (biomech)

Terria

Infinity

Those three are untouchable IMO. The new one Synchresta is pretty good too. Accelerated Evolution is good for what it is; a more simplistic and poppy album. It's really just not as adventurous as those other three I mentioned. It's a good album to start with though. Some of his SYL work is great too, like City and Alien.

• Members

Ocean Machine is pretty damn amazing!

I've had "Bastard" on loop for quite a while now. "Seventh wave" and "Life" are my two other favourites off of that album.

As for A.E., the lead work at the end of "Away" is some really impressive stuff!

• Members

Ocean Machine and City are his defining moments. I wasn't too crazy about his new one, too idiosyncratic, too eclectic for my tastes. Kinda rubs me the wrong way like the Physicist did....

He uses 5150 with a Roland GP-100 for effects. I think he also uses a ds-1, a tu-2, and a morley wah.

• Members

I love everything he does. He and Gene laughed like {censored} when I said I even liked the Vai album at the Sounds of the Underground meet n greet.

I keep coming back to Alien (SYL) and Infinity.

He reminds me of Frank Zappa in that he combines deceptively simple ideas in such complex and varied ways. Amazing man.

• Members

I really need to get his solo stuff, I have a SYL disc and it's great. I too really loved his work on the VAI disc so you aren't alone. The man has an amazing voice he just needs to give up on the long hair with the receding hair line going on.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

I really need to get his solo stuff, I have a SYL disc and it's great. I too really loved his work on the VAI disc so you aren't alone. The man has an amazing voice he just needs to give up on the long hair with the receding hair line going on.

His hair....

Its as metal as it gets! :evil:

• Members

Originally posted by DeathMonkey

I love everything he does. He and Gene laughed like {censored} when I said I even liked the Vai album at the Sounds of the Underground meet n greet.

That's my third favorite thing Devin has done, just a masterful album, so much emotion. It's too bad people didn't "get it" when it came out, I guess they wanted Passion II.....

• Members

Originally posted by pink freud

the solo in Deep Peace is the greatest solo since Comfortably Numb.

Great solo. Another one is from Stagnant, and my personaly favorite, Sunday Afternoon, gives me the chills everytime. I'm proud to be a Canadian cause of this guy and Young:D

• Members

Originally posted by Kevin_L

If you've heard his solo work, then I'm sure you were amazed at the power and energy of his song writing just as I was.

If you haven't, check him out! If I were to describe his music, it would have to be: "Atmospheric Prog Metal". However, if you're just too metal to listen to anything in a blatantly major key, he might not be for you.
:D

Heres a sample of his music:
http://www.hevydevy.com/audio/mp3/dtb_storm.mp3

You can find more on his site.

My favourite albums include:

1. Accelerated Evolution

2. Synchestra

3. Terria

4. Ocean Machine - Biomech

And to keep this semi on topic:

Does anyone know what gear he's using? It sounds very recto-ish to me, but I can't seem to find any solid info.

Discuss
:thu:

Hevydevy is my favorite it's cool that you like him to. I just saw the DTB in columubus, both brian and devin were using mesa rectos, brian on modern channel devin on vintage it looked like. Devin and brian had stephen carpenter i believe baritone 7 strings tuned to open G. It was an awesome show even though they could only play a 30 minute set. I got to talk to the band afterwords, really a great bunch of guys. They were just normal guys excited to be out on tour and loved to talk to the fans.

100% appreciation here

• Members

Originally posted by Kevin_L

Discuss
:thu:

This is funny cause I went to see them last Saturday with Opeth and I haven't quit listening to SYL and DTB since.

He's using Recto's with DTB and 5150 w/ SYL and Baritone 7 strings.

The other guitarist in DTB is using a Stiletto (not a recto) and the same guitars.

sc607b_ng.jpg

526595088_l.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Unstrung

The song you've provided reminds me of the Deftones. Reminds me of them a lot. Not a bad thing...

Edit: So does the above guitar. Hmmm, is there a correlation?

Deftones????????????????????????????????????? That's the first time I've heard that....No one sounds like Devin.

• Members

Originally posted by The Idiot

Deftones????????????????????????????????????? That's the first time I've heard that....No one sounds like Devin.

Yeah. Check out their newest CD (not the B-sides)... somewhat similar drum approach, similar guitar approach, similar pace and development to the songs...

This is just judging from the one song though.

• Members

Originally posted by Unstrung

Yeah. Check out their newest CD (not the B-sides)... somewhat similar drum approach, similar guitar approach, similar pace and development to the songs...

This is just judging from the one song though.

A lot of his stuff (especially the strapping young lad material) is a lot more death metal than the deftones. The song in the first post is one of the slower DT tunes.

• Members

Originally posted by xMadiMx

This is funny cause I went to see them last Saturday with Opeth and I haven't quit listening to SYL and DTB since.

He's using Recto's with DTB and 5150 w/ SYL and Baritone 7 strings.

The other guitarist in DTB is using a Stiletto (not a recto) and the same guitars.

sc607b_ng.jpg

526595088_l.jpg

whats the deal with the newer stephen carpenter models? they look almost exactly the same as the old ones:confused:

Can you get your hands on these?:)

Archived