OT: Devin Townsend Appreciation Thread!

Kevin_L

• Members

Originally posted by The Idiot

Ocean Machine and City are his defining moments. I wasn't too crazy about his new one, too idiosyncratic, too eclectic for my tastes. Kinda rubs me the wrong way like the Physicist did....

He uses 5150 with a Roland GP-100 for effects. I think he also uses a ds-1, a tu-2, and a morley wah.

I think it's a boss sd-1. If you have the synchresta DVD you'll see his pedal setup, a morley bad horsie wah, a boss sd-1, a tu-2.

For amps, Gene and Jed on the SYL site said he used an amp called a Morin for City. I've never heard of it. Other than that, he's always used Peavey 5150's. Jed used mainly 5150's up until Alien where he switched to Dual recto's. Devin's been using Recto's live too lately.

• Members

Originally posted by pink freud

the solo in Deep Peace is the greatest solo since Comfortably Numb.

Although I may disagree about the hyperbole I can certainly see where you're coming from. It's certainly cut from the same cloth IMHO. :thu:

Yes I love Devin's work as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Guerrilla

speak of the devil, saw dtb open for opeth last night in opeth.... {censored}ing hilarious guy.... too bad gene hoglan wasn't on the kit.

you mean open for opeth last night in providence? that was a {censored}ing sick show.

devin was playing a Recto on a recto 2x12+4x12 stack, and the other guitarist was playing a 5150 (maybe a 5150II, can't remember for sure) on a 4x12 that i don't remember the maker of.

they sounded great....you could hear everything, and the band was ridiculously tight together.

• Members

Originally posted by cavemanic

whats the deal with the newer stephen carpenter models? they look almost exactly the same as the old ones:confused:

Can you get your hands on these?
:)

What do you mean?? The only new one is a ESP not a LTD and it has NO inlays.

sc-7m.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by FalseRevRG

you mean open for opeth last night in providence? that was a {censored}ing sick show.

devin was playing a Recto on a recto 2x12+4x12 stack, and the other guitarist was playing a 5150 (maybe a 5150II, can't remember for sure) on a 4x12 that i don't remember the maker of.

they sounded great....you could hear everything, and the band was ridiculously tight together.

holy dyslexia batman, heh. yes, i meant open for opeth in providence. i actually thought dtb sounded clearer than opeth! opeth's drums weren't mixed well imo and the whole thing was muddy in comparison to dtb.

• Members

Originally posted by Guerrilla

holy dyslexia batman, heh. yes, i meant open for opeth in providence. i actually thought dtb sounded clearer than opeth! opeth's drums weren't mixed well imo and the whole thing was muddy in comparison to dtb.

well, hey, at least you didn't say "opeth for open" :p

i agree though, DTB had the clearest sound....but Opeth was still {censored}ing awesome...despite not being able to hear the toms very well. but either way, Martin Axenrot has improved a LOT since the show in Worcester, MA in october, they were much tighter.

• Members

City is one of my favorite albums. It's pure {censored}in' genius. From those opening blasts of All Hail The New Flesh, I knew these people were going to remain ahead of their time for quite a while.

And, it must be said that while Townsend may be a madman, Hoglan is just as equally a monster. Between the two, I still don't think City has arrived yet. It still gives me goosebumps.

The production is unreal, and I dig how they incorporate those samples and noises in the backround that make it sound like the {censored}ing walls are caving in, above and beyond the music itself.

I hate City. I hate it with the fiery passion of someone who know's they'll never come close to something that good.

Archived