Steve Vai Monday, lets FEEL the metal!

Digital Jams

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To Kage and Randy Van Sykes:

It's funny how on forums people say things that they would never say to someone in person.

You guys seem like pretty cool guys most of the time. I am sure that if you came to one of my gigs, or sat in the studio while I was producing one of the artists that I work with there would be a mutual respect level between us all happening big time.

Just as I am sure... if we were all hanging out with Steve Vai... you guys would be acting a lot different about this topic than you are now.

My only point is... nothing wrong with being "over" Steve Vai, or it not being your style. I said that in my post above.

Dissing his ability or making fun of his creative use of effects, etc., is just sour grapes. Let's see your videos fellas..... ya know??

• Members
Originally posted by crypticglobe

It's funny how on forums people say things that they would never say to someone in person.

You guys seem like pretty cool guys most of the time. I am sure that if you came to one of my gigs, or sat in the studio while I was producing one of the artists that I work with there would be a mutual respect level between us all happening big time.

Just as I am sure... if we were all hanging out with Steve Vai... you guys would be acting a lot different about this topic than you are now.

My only point is... nothing wrong with being "over" Steve Vai, or it not being your style. I said that in my post above.

Dissing his ability or making fun of his creative use of effects, etc., is just sour grapes. Let's see your videos fellas..... ya know??

I'm defending Vai...Kage is the one spreading all the hate! :D

OK...I'm off to the gym now so I can defend myself when I see Kage. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by -=MYK=-

You people expect the man to reinvent the wheel 20 times in a row?

That ain't fair...

Not at all. I can only see the same gimmicks/tricks so many times before It gets old.

I still think Vai is amazing. BUt instrumental rock gets old quick (like SRV :D ) for me.

• Members
Originally posted by Digital Jams

Damn, you selling out my boy Kage??????

You would not say that if we were in the same room
:mad:

What'd I do?? :)

Kage isn't digging Vai really anymore, he has his own opinion...
And seriously, I've never been a Malmsteen fan.

For guys like Vai and Malmsteen...
The better guitar player you are, the more fans you have...with you and against you. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by telephant

Not at all. I can only see the same gimmicks/tricks so many times before It gets old.

I still think Vai is amazing. BUt instrumental rock gets old quick (like SRV
:D
) for me.

Bah, what do you know?

Go listen to some 2pac.:D:rolleyes::)

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by crypticglobe

First off Cryptic, I can ssure you that I would say the exact same things in person as I would here on the forum; be it to one person or a gang

Ill also stand by what I said about your comment being stupid. One does not have to play better than the person that they offer their opinion about. Ill never be as good as Steve Vai but I can garauntee you that It doesnt mean a thing as far as my opinion is concerned

Lastly, I think Vai is a monster and have thought that for a long time. There are still songs of his that I listen to on a regular basis that are just phenomenal and his place in Rock Guitar history is very secure. Hes got some very cool/complex melodies and harmonies going on and theyre completely original and his signature. Ive also seen him get his ass handed to him in a variety of Jam situations and I think that is where he falls short

In the end however, What he does just doesnt do it for me anymore. I appreciate good showmanship as much as the next guy but having one foot on a wah and another on a whammy while people catch you as you fall over while wanking or hitting the strings with a loose trem bar gets old after awhile. I love doing goofy stuff and am a sucker for everyguitar trick on the planet AS LONG as its used musically. To me, Vai has had a tendency to over do it(Thankfully , its only in his live stuff, not on record)

Is Vai Great? Yes, will I buy any of his future albums? nope( Unless I can DL them for free:thu:

Kage

Archived