I need an output jack on my brain

ElectricPuppy

• Members

So I'm working on my track last night, right? It's coming along OK... just OK. I feel like it needs something else, but I can't quite put my finger on it. AFter a couple of hours, I'm fried, so I wrap it up and post it as is, still thinking it needs *something*.

I walk away, go to bed, and I'm lying there playing the track over in my head, and all these cool ideas make themselves heard. A sound effect here, a heralding trumpet sound there, some counterpoint here...

I know from experience that if I had gotten up and fired everything back up, that all these ideas would have evaporated.

What I really want is an output jack on my brain so I could just record what I hear in my head. How do I go about getting one of these installed? :D

Am I the only one that goes through this?

• Members

Man, if I could play the music that goes on in my head, I think I would be a very happy peep. Alas, as soon as my fingers hit the on switch, let alone the keys, its either vanished completely or turned into a garbled mess. Maybe a USB port would be better. A wireless dongle could zap it over to your PC.

I used to try and record ideas (singing) with a little tape recorder (like the press used to use) when i was at college. At least I was able to catch a slight remenant of what I was thinking. :facepalm:

• Members

I know what you mean EP.

The MUSE is fickle, she always seems to wake up when I'm no where near my keyboards, or have some prior obligation.

I wake up sometimes with a rockin tune in my head, or even dream about great riffs. But, like you, as a awake, they fade......

• Members

I used to try and record ideas (singing) with a little tape recorder (like the press used to use) when i was at college.

I still have mine:)

recorders.jpg

Used it mostly when I started learning English [recording Americans conversing, then analyzing the phonetics, looking up word definitions, etc]. I also used it the same way you did, but by whistling. It helped me record this little piece, which I ironically named "Memories".

The "problem" for me, when getting inspired when I'm away from my synth, is imagining [or dreaming about] all the layers that make up a song [i.e, tracks/instruments], not just the main theme [the melody]. So even if I remembered one thing, everything else would have already faded out of my memory:cry:

• Members

I bought a little Moleskine music notebook, pocket-size, with the idea that I could scribble rough ideas down when they come to me. I think the notebook's sitting on a shelf, still completely blank.
:facepalm:

Hah, I got one of these with the same intention... song ideas never make it in there, but potential song names do.

That four-track app is damn near the only reason I want an iPhone. Do they make anything like that for Blackberry phones?

• Members

So I'm working on my track last night, right? It's coming along OK... just OK. I feel like it needs something else, but I can't quite put my finger on it. AFter a couple of hours, I'm fried, so I wrap it up and post it as is, still thinking it needs *something*.

I walk away, go to bed, and I'm lying there playing the track over in my head, and all these cool ideas make themselves heard. A sound effect here, a heralding trumpet sound there, some counterpoint here...

I know from experience that if I had gotten up and fired everything back up, that all these ideas would have evaporated.

What I really want is an output jack on my brain so I could just record what I hear in my head. How do I go about getting one of these installed?
:D

Am I the only one that goes through this?

Just don't listen to what you're outputting while you're outputting it, or you'll get an infinite feedback loop and you'll turn into a zombie.

Archived