sot: LEts Talk ESP GUitars

Kyle DiSanto

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have an MII Deluxe, very simple Superstrat design that plays and sounds great.

I like it pretty much equal with my Jackson SL1, I consider both great no frills workhorse guitars.

I wouldn't buy an ESP new with the prices they are now, I would get another brand at those higher price points personally.

esp3.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by WillShrdForFood

The other guitarist in my band got the LTD EC-1000 Deluxe. Its not the shiny ass abalone one though. Its a satin black with brownish binding, its really sexy. It comes with a EMG85 and 85 with all gold hardware.

snamm05_esp_1000vtb.jpg

Mmm..i love the finish on this ec-1000, probably my favourite of all

• Members
Originally posted by RockinIt

I want a MII so bad
:cry:

Too bad the camos have painted necks+non-reversed headstocks. I'd have one by now otherwise.
:(

So why don't you just buy this one, it's reversed and doesn't have a painted neck.
m2thru.jpg

• Members

Don`t get caught up in the old ESP vs. Jackson or ESP vs. LTD battles. They are very tired and all you get is everyone`s opinions which differ from guitar to guitar and person to person. All are very nice guitars in their own price/performance range. The truth is the more you spend the more hands on fine tuning and work is done to the guitars. You can`t get past that. It`s just the way modern manufacturing is set up all over the world. That`s how those companies make money.

But,

This is my opinion. If you want to spend less than $1,000 new then the LTD 1000 and 400 series guitars are very good. They are profesional level guitars that are totaly about getting the job done. They have quality hardware and electronics. The fit and finish is very good considering the price range and feature list. I enjoy playing both of my LTD 1000 series guitars. They play nice and sound good. No, they are not perfect, but I never expected them to be. I got what I payed for. I needed a very good guitar that played well and had the features I wanted and it had to be in my price range. That`s what I got after lots of exacting research.

The "real" ESP`s are another beast altogether. They benefit from more hands on work and set up and that translates into a finer feel and quality. They play a little smoother and sound a little more detailed. Just what you would expect when you step up in price. They are definately high quality and many pro musicians rely on them night after night while touring. I would definately consider an ESP if I was looking for a guitar in that price range.

Jacksons are also different. Especially the USA models. Just like the "real" ESP`s, the USA Jacksons benefit from more fine detail work and hands on care in construction. It shows. They play slick and sound great. The hardware and electronics are top notch and fit and finish is excellent. Are they perfect? No! Remember that they are also mass produced and can have flaws just like anything else. Over-all though, they are super high quality.

If I were you, I would go out and play some different guitars. What it boils down to is feel, tone and cost. You have to weigh all three of those factors and find the balance that appeals to you. Any of those guitars will play well and sound great. It just matters what you like best and are most comfortable playing. And if that instrument fits within your price range then snatch it up and don`t look back.

Eric

• Members

The real thing I don't get with ESP is why suddenly people are so eager to pay so much for Japenese labour. I mean, a lot of these ESP guitars (especially the signature series) are going for a lot more than a USA Gibson!. In the UK, an ESP Laiho is

• Members
Originally posted by Rocinante

My Horizon Custom plays like a dream, but it sounds too dark for my taste, even after a pickup upgrade. I'm convinced it must have a mahogany body; It's more Les Paul like than Strat like (not good with my rig). I tried to squeeze some info out of ESP but didn't get any response whatsoever.

DSC01450.JPG

Interesting you say that. Page Hamilton from Helmet has one just like that, and from his thick crunch I always assumed they were mahogany. I would, however, always see used horizons on ebay and such listed as alder, but I figured maybe his were different. I was also a bit confused that he used the Dimarzio air zone, as I had bad luck with it in Mahogany (too dark). Now that his sig model is coming out and it's listed as alder that cleared it up for me. You saying yours is mahogany makes me wonder again. Maybe yours is different than his, or maybe some of his are mahogany.

guitar_shot.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by 4nkam

Checkout this custom:

Image-1BD35294AF2111DA.jpg

MJ

Is this yours??? It looks like one of Stephen Carpenter's customs in a six string version. Very cool. I would need some kind of inlays though as I think I would get lost occasionally. What's it made of?

• 5 years later...

Archived