sot: LEts Talk ESP GUitars

Kyle DiSanto

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by ROTINPAIN

I have been thinking about getting an ESP for some time now. I love my JAckson usa KING V, but I find that the V kidna gets in the way of my playing sometimes(if you own a V you know what I mean). I have been thinking of the LTD MH-400...it looks really nice. The Thing is that its like 700$ New and a used Jackson Soloist is gunan be prob 1,200$ used...so It kinda puts me in a slump.

SO Tell me about these ESP GUITARS!

Hmm, I own a Dave Mustain V and its the easiest guitar I have ever played standing up and ones I got use to it I have no problem at all playing it sitting down or laying down or what ever. It is my first V shaped guitar and I LOVE V's now!!!

onehourburn
:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by xMadiMx

most everybody's prices have gone up.
:rolleyes:

And they changed the design of the eclipse II.

Its ugly now. :(:(:(:(:(

And I think the viper only comes in satin colors, which I dont like because they always buff to a shine after you play then enough.

• Members

I had an LTD DV8 Dave Mustaine signature guitar. Abselutely wonderful neck, but the body shape got so annoying to play that i eventually sold it. The guitar had a lot of cosmetic issues as well, dodgy binding in particular. The fret job on it was a bit suspect as well- tough to get a low action.
I think the reason people feel ESP's feel 'plastic' is because of the finish they apply to the necks. It doesn't feel as 'glassy' as the finishes I've played on other guitars (namely my PRS). I would try one and see if it bothers you, or maybe look into the bolt on's that ESP offer. Good luck with your hunting.

ESP is ESP and Ltd is Ltd. Some of you talk like it's the same thing

Excellent point

• Members
Originally posted by gerrekat

The balance of the viper was horrid and the Eclipse had bad upper fret access just like any LP type.

I just dont get why they didnt make the Eclipse II heelless and neck through like the custom shop eclipse.

:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by Sim-p-mortal

I have an ESP Standard Camo Viper, its one of if not the best guitars i've ever played, ultra fast neck, super low action and amazing finish and sound. They aint cheap but you get what you pay for.

+1 it's not ultra thin if you play the V it's thinner, but it's deff small and I have yet to have anybody get on mine that hasn't liked it.

The only "plastic" I get is because the guitar ist satin finished so it' snot gloss and people don't believe it's wood cause the satin paint has such a smooth feel to it.

Originally posted by code_blue

And I think the viper only comes in satin colors, which I dont like because they always buff to a shine after you play then enough.

No the only satin one is the Camo ones and the VTB Eclipse's, and who rubs their hand all over their body?? The neck is really the only place that should get like that and it's not like it's a problem IMO that's what you get when you buy satin there's no clear coat on it.

It's funny though cause you put up a thread about ESP and tha jackson guys try comparing lrd 202 and {censored} like that to a USA jackson. I've played ltd deluxe's that felt better than some of the USA jacksons I've played on.

• Members

Yea you really cant compare jacksons to ESPS or LTDS. I mean I do prefer the jacksons...my main thing is that I want to get away from my V...I love it and will still keep it, but its getting a pain to really play some of the stuff I play while standing...the soloist I used to have(korean) was soo easy to play and shred live it...and not to mention the case is tiny!
KYLE

• Members

My Horizon Custom plays like a dream, but it sounds too dark for my taste, even after a pickup upgrade. I'm convinced it must have a mahogany body; It's more Les Paul like than Strat like (not good with my rig). I tried to squeeze some info out of ESP but didn't get any response whatsoever.

DSC01450.JPG

• Members

All the ones I've seen like that are mahogany, they sound killer with an EMG. There's a blue one out at GC here.

Thanks for the confirmation. I tried an EMG 89 in the bridge of this one and wasn't any improvement on the stock one. It has a BL L500L now which is much better... Doesn't alter the underlying mid-heavy/bassy character of the instrument though. When I switch from my Strat or Tele I have to change all the settings on my amp to make it useable.

• Members

Originally posted by Rocinante

Thanks for the confirmation. I tried an EMG 89 in the bridge of this one and wasn't any improvement on the stock one. It has a BL L500L now which is much better... Doesn't alter the underlying mid-heavy/bassy character of the instrument though. When I switch from my Strat or Tele I have to change all the settings on my amp to make it useable.

The 89 is like an 85 tons of bass and mid, if you tossed an 81 in there you'd probably be in heaven. The one up at GC is one of my friends old ones he's got an 81 in it with the stock neck pickup and surprisingly there's not a giant vol gap it's usable like that. A X2N and a hot rails would probably work pretty good too. You're always gonn ahave that thickness though that's why you get guitars with different woods ect to have different colorations on sound more than likely that's a mahogany body and neck with ebony fingerboard. My Viper is like that and it's got that same dark thick thing going on. Also you'd be surprised how much strings will effect this. I know my strings are going when it starts sounding extremely dark and stainless steel strings sound amazing on it.

• Members

I never really understood what people mean by 'they (ESP's) are really good for the money' What exactly does that mean? Are there any guitars that are 'Excellent for the money'? Rather than just 'good' or is it just a saying? Or do most all brands have a certain level of guitar that are 'good for the money'?

For example when I asked about a MH-400 people said it was a great guitar for the money. Does that mean that I could get a better guitar in the same price range but a different brand or....? I just hear that term a lot when people are talking about ESP's.

Anyone care to elaborate?:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by Sigel_TTD

Anyone care to elaborate?
:confused:

They're talking about the fact that for $500-650 you get a guitar that's made of Mahogany, and a lot of them have maple tops on them, plus you get set-thru and even neck thru as well as real Duncan's or EMG's. If you try and get that with other guitars you end up spending more or having to get the top models USA/Japan which are double th eprice so for th emoney you get a extremely well built korean guitar with top notch hardware.

If you want to get down to the excellent quality than you have to dish out the money and get the real ESP's
For Example

1331.jpg

• Members

i have 2 jackson usa sl-1's, 1 sl-2 and a custom shop bolt-on. i recently bought a custom shop esp archtop with bolt-on.
i was hardcore jackson, but that freakin esp is sweet. its got a rounder more pleasing tone and it sustains longer than my neck through jacksons. haven't compared it to the custom jackson but i think i might be a convert.

• Members

I wouldn't waste my time with LTDs for that money. Its the only guitars I work on where little stupid (but annoyingthings) break so easily, for example the pickup mounting rings! Every god damned ltd I've worked on!!

ESP guitars are pretty good. I wouldn't say no, but I'd be dreaming of Jackson, if you know what I mean.

I've owned plenty of both (USA) Jackson and (Jap) ESP... I'd have to vote the Jackson route.

Leave the LTDs to the metalcore flash in the pan wannabes.

J

• Members

I dont take LTDs seriously.

They are like pretty epiphones.

That ec-1000, not to be rude, but if you look closely at the point of the lower cutout, in person, it almost lookes like the "maple tops" are as thing as a sheet of paper. The "abalone" binding is actually what looks like a thin abalone sticker under a thin layer of clear plastic.

I think the inlays on the fretboard are the same too.

I remember when these came out people were saying they would probably take one of those over a Gibson LP Studio. And if you ask me, I would rather have no "fake" abalone, and a true thick maple top.

The REAL ESPs, the guitars that dont say LTD on the headstock, the guitars that are made in Japan are what ESP is all about.

• Members

No the only satin one is the Camo ones and the VTB Eclipse's, and who rubs their hand all over their body??

I have seen a Gibson gothic SG, and a V that both had this issue.

Just like a satin finish will buff to a shine over time on the neck, it will also do the same thing at the spot where your hand makes contact with the body while picking. This maybe happen faster with gibsons because they are nitro finished, but I double any satin finish guitar is immune to this, or all guitar necks would be satin.

Archived