OTHER life in our Solar System! REALLY... you heard it here first!!

crypticglobe

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by MCon

It will never work. If you take away the goals of the scientists who are doing this, who believe in the space program and believe in all the benefits of it, do you really think they will create these enormously diverse technologies? The space program is riddled with seemingly impossible tasks that forces these scientists to come up with solutions to make it all work. They *have* to or the program doesn't work and because they *must* figure out a way to fit a round peg in a square hole they are amazing innovators and come up with solutions that I just don't think they normally would if that kind of challange didn't exist for them.

Aside from that, if you want to consider this as primarily a function of money... what company do you know gets a (conservative) 7-fold return on their investment as is suggested the government does from spinoffs from the space program? There might be a few companies that will get this return, but they are very few and far between. So really you're suggesting we mess with probably one of the most important and productive technological entities in the world and that just doesn't make sense.

I can understand what you are saying and on the surface it might seem like a good idea, but I just think too much benefit and technology is spawned from the actual process that rediverting money away from the overall goal into the intermediate steps achieve a now non-existant would be futile and counter-productive.

We'll be dancing in circles soon, but what the hell....my point (as I think you know) has to do with the spin-off-technologies rationalism. I say (halfheartedly), "why spend money on going out into space?" (mostly 'cause space has never really interested me), and someone replies, "space research creates wonderful things for all kinds of people." So I wind up saying, "if you really want to help people, if helping people is the end that justifies the means, then cut out the middleman and just create the things for the people who need them." Yes, I understand that helping people isn't incentive enough, but my logic is really about how illogical the spin-off-technologies rationalism is.

• Members

NASA and space exploration "inventions". DOn't hold me to this, from poor memory:

1) velcro
2) teflon
3) duct tape?
4) MRI

Who knows what we can discover with a new lifeform? Look at what we are destorying in the rainforest....who knows? You're just going to turn up your nose, turn your back...because you don't understand it? Becuase your HUGE intellect and omniprescence has detected non-value?

But try not to have such a shallow closed mind. You've shut the doors before you even know what's in the next room. No better than a poor 3rd wold rice farmer only concerned with that day's meal.

Actually worse, because you should know better.

• Members

Originally posted by JonathanD

Sorry, didn't realize this was a one-sided opinion thread.

Aren't all opinions one-sided?

Is a two-sided opinion really an opinion?

Possibly?

Or have I changed my mind?

Am I actually a martian-lunar-thermal-vent-dwelling microorganism with two brains that can simultaneously hold contradictory opinions on all topics, including even my own existance?

If so, wouldn't that be something!

• Members

Sarcasm becomes rather toothless if it's made obvious, doesn't it

yes...and normally don't put (sracastic) when i am being sarcastic because of that reason..i just did because of the confusion.....i'm just saying it makes it alittle more clear when it's just a question if you make it seem sarcastic some how....put a face or something...if you go back and read it you'll probably see that it seemed more like a question than anything else

• Members
Originally posted by JamesPeters

Rednecks everywhere owe NASA a heap of thanks.

ah...only renecks use duct tape. I never knew!

I do know you need only two tools in your rig:

Duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves and it ain't supposed to, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and it's supposed to, use the WD-40.

I guess that makes me a redneck.

(Seriously, I was just saying...trying to think of stuff "we" use thanks to NASA.:( )

• Members

Originally posted by W.Kyle.C

yes...and normally don't put (sracastic) when i am being sarcastic because of that reason..i just did because of the confusion.....i'm just saying it makes it alittle more clear when it's just a question if you make it seem sarcastic some how....put a face or something...if you go back and read it you'll probably see that it seemed more like a question than anything else

Clarity is overrated. Smilies are for children.

• Members

Clarity is overrated. Smilies are for children

well if you like confusion than by all means...confuse the heck out of people. they'll thank you for it.

count the smilies on this thread....you think that many children are arguing over the meaning of life and extraterestrial beings.

• Members

well if you like confusion than by all means...confuse the heck out of people. they'll thank you for it.

count the smilies on this thread....you think that many children are arguing over the meaning of life and extraterestrial beings.

Careful...W.Kyle...

It's getting pretty deep....the drop off ain't too far away. Go look at some amps on eBay, maybe.

Just tryin to help.

• Members

Well, if the hat fits....

Archived