VHT Power amps..............the older ones

64DUECE

• Members

What were the bigger VHT power amps called. The early to mid 90's versions. I know they made the ones that look like a regular head, and the rack versions look pretty big too.(4 spaces sound right?)

What were the model no.'s for these head and rack models.

If any of you VHT guys have pics, I'd love to see them for reference.

I've been trying to find some info on these things for a while, but there's not many pictures of these amps around.

Can anyone help?

Is there a VHT support group out there somewhere?:D

• Members

Cool! Thanks man.

I haven't seen one in a long time, but from what I remember they were good looking rack amps. I've always wanted a rack set up, so I'm gonna look into getting the stuff that I would've liked to have had back then. ('92 - '94)

Right now, I'm looking into those older VHT power amps. Yes, they were big amps. You could see the VHT logo form 100 ft. away!

It may be hard to find one now.

• Members
Originally posted by leadfootdriver

They came in lots of colors. Even chrome! Here's 1 on the bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VHT-2150-POWER-AMPLIFIER-VERY-LOW-MILES_W0QQitemZ7398372208QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's exactly what I'm talking about! Good eye!

Just knowing, when I finally ask about them, one shows up for sale. Too bad I'm broke right now. I may not see another for a while.

Thanks for the help!:thu:

• Members

Yep...
They made 2 versions of the 2150 power amp. One was the KT88 version and the other was EL34...
They also made a rackmount head which you will never find. It was the Pittbull Classic head in rackmount form. There were only a couple made...
I will have one some day...:D
Steve

• Members
Originally posted by leadfootdriver

That's insane. It probably weighs 500lbs EASY!

Is that a Blue Murder promo shot on the wall?
:D

No doubt! A monster to drag around I'm sure.

I was looking for some 90's rack gear(check out the pic date of '90)
That is sweet.:D

• Members
Originally posted by rider of time

I just noticed the date on the photo. You had that rig since 1990? Smokin set up man.

Steve, How do you like those Pitbull 45 combos? I think you had a pic of one in a gear photo of yours.

That's not mine....
I have a Super 30 combo, not the 45. But they are all amazing amps...
This is my rack...
VHT+stuff.jpg
Rackstuff.jpg
rack2.jpg

• Members

I've got a 2150 just like the one in that picture. I''ve been putting off selling it but I want to get rid of it soon. Everything is original on it. I bought it brand new and used it in the mid 90s for a few years. I've turned it on about 5 times in the last 6 years last time was 6 months ago to check out the Boogie cabs I never use anymore that I sold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm bringing this back up to ask.............

What's the biggest difference between the kt88 and el34 versions of these power amps.

I guess I'm just used to el34 amps because of my taste for Marshall amps. I like them for the mids/high mids that an el34 has. I'm not a big fan of 6l6's anymore. They seem too loose w/ the volume that I like to use. I like their sound, but not how they feel. I love mids/high mids.

Do kt88's react at all like 6l6's? The head room doesn't bother me about the kt88's. I'm just looking for a mid crunch/growl from a VHT rig to sound (not like, but closer to) a hot Marshall, rather than a scooped sound(like a Mesa). I like chords w/ a clear cutting edge and punch vs saturation and round mids.

Oh, the preamp I'm gonna go after is the GP3.
Do you think the kt88's will work for me?

I'd love to hear from some VHT guys on this one:thu:

• Members

Here's a little VHT info for you...

15) What's the difference between KT88, 6550, EL34, 6L6, EL84 tube types?

In order to keep the subject matter concise and relevant to VHT amplifier models, we'll break these tube types down into 3 basic categories:

High power output: KT88, KT90, 6550

Although not widely used in the guitar amp industry, we find them to be ideally suited to players who want power punch and articulation. They are used in a variety of configurations, mostly in pairs and quartets and in some cases, sextets. They are capable of delivering 100 watts per pair and this is the typical application in which they are applied at VHT in the Two/Ninety/Two and Twenty One Fifty power amps. Quartets of 6550's are used in the Pittbull Ultra-Lead and are more conservatively operated at about 60 watts per pair. Because of the high output capability and efficiency of these tubes, amplifiers that use them exhibit a wide dynamic range, lots of low end power, crisp attack and to quote Guitar Player Magazine "miles of headroom".

Medium power output: EL34, 6L6

These are the standard bearers of the majority of the tube guitar amp industry for the last 30 years or so. Typical output for a pair is 50 watts. We use EL34

• Members

Steve, I notice you have a Mesa 50/50, the 50/50's the only tube poweramp I have experience with so I was wondering how you thought it compares to the other poweramps you have. I actually feel the 50/50 was one of the best gear investments I've made.

Archived