Porcupine Tree appreciation thread

Sir Don

• Members

I came across them through Lime Wire progressive rock room. I've heard of them but never gave thema listen.

So I did. I thought it was pretty cool . Great imagination. INspirational. Not you run of the mill pop stuff. A nice blend of familiar melodies and edgy atmospherics with a dose of rock thrown in. Pink Floyd meets the goo-goo dolls, I guess?

• Members

I love love love these guys. Ever since I saw it on the list of Mike Akerfeldt of Opeth's "Listening to..." list in a Relapse mail order catalog.

My favorites:
"The Start of Something Beautiful"
"Arriving Somewhere"
"Trains"
"Heart Attack at the Lay By"
"Buying New Soul"
"Even Less"
"Russia on Ice"

Hell... all of it!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Funnny you should mention a Pod XT.

Just opened for The Fixx, and that was what he used. Had a sound very similar to all his old recordings.

I beleive he used the Marshall for overdrive and the XT for FX though, so it wasn't his tone generator. Still I give the XT more credit, now.

• Members
Originally posted by cacheek

Really love steve wilson's sound. I have a Podxt and can't seem to it though
:(
Haven't seen in concert because I live in redneck Mississippi.

IIRC, he only used the Pod XT for clean and heavily processed tones on Deadwing. The rest of the album was Marshall. He used a Bad Cat Hot Cat on In Absentia, and that's still his touring rig (with a TC G Major and Line 6 rack delay) as far as I know.

...and I appreciate Porcupine Tree. Beautiful, dark atmospheric stuff, great rhythm section... they rock.

• Members

Originally posted by Exocaster

IIRC, he only used the Pod XT for clean and heavily processed tones on Deadwing. The rest of the album was Marshall. He used a Bad Cat Hot Cat on In Absentia, and that's still his touring rig (with a TC G Major and Line 6 rack delay) as far as I know.

...and I appreciate Porcupine Tree. Beautiful, dark atmospheric stuff, great rhythm section... they rock.

Are you sure about that? Even the overdrive sections in Deadwing have a tinkling of the XT flavor, IMO.

The Hot Cat in In Absentia freaking kills.....one of my favorite recorded high gain tones...he really should have stuck with that rig for the studio.

• Members

Originally posted by stringy

Are you sure about that? Even the overdrive sections in Deadwing have a tinkling of the XT flavor, IMO.

The Hot Cat in In Absentia freaking kills.....one of my favorite recorded high gain tones...he really should have stuck with that rig for the studio.

I've read a couple interviews in which Steven Wilson said he used Marshall for the heavy tones on Deadwing. I don't remember him saying what model. One of them was in Guitar One, I think. I didn't find anything on the Porcupine Tree site, and a quick Google search didn't turn up anything of value.

And I agree about the Hot Cat tone. It's unique enough to be his signature tone if he wanted. Have you heard about the project he's planning with Mikael

Archived