Anyone play with a high action?

Sick Michael

• Members

I think Im starting to. A friend of mine remarked at how high the action was on my Ibanez RG. He has this brand new Yamaha thing and the action is really low on it. Its dead easy to play.

Ok, the RG is a thin necked guitar and Im starting to realise I get better tone when the strings are higher. The strings also dont choke on bends high up the fretboard.

Anyone else play with a high action?

• Members

Yup.

But I neither count as a good player nor shredder, so it doesn't help you :D

Its way better tonewise and for bendings. I played teh Ibanez blahblahblah of the guy who's 2210 I've fixed, which had the typical super-low action - and I was even worse than ever :D It sucks.

• Members

I like mine in the dirt low but yes one little neck shift and your tone as well as playablity goes way south. I understand why EVH had higher action due to his style of play, tapped harmonics are tougher imo with low action. I do find runs like arppegios are easier with lower action but big bends can be tougher.

• Members
Originally posted by Duesentrieb

Yup.

But I neither count as a good player nor shredder, so it doesn't help you
:D

Its way better tonewise and for bendings. I played teh Ibanez blahblahblah of the guy who's 2210 I've fixed, which had the typical super-low action - and I was even worse than ever
:D
It sucks.

Yeah, I found that the notes I hit were much cleaner and clearer and I sounded better....wierd....:freak:

• Members

I like mine very high. Higher than most acoustics. I like the bigger, fuller tone as the string has lots of room to move and vibrate fully in it's path. Shredding is not a problem when you get used to it. It got warm here for a few days and my main guitar's neck straightened out overnight. It's got a raw maple neck so it's real susceptible to moisture changes. It was awful, strings are so low and the guitar is half as loud acoustically. Too plinky and compressed sounding. I don't know if I shoud adjust the rod now, or wait as the weather's changing again.

• Members

Originally posted by Digital Jams

I like mine in the dirt low but yes one little neck shift and your tone as well as playablity goes way south. I understand why EVH had higher action due to his style of play, tapped harmonics are tougher imo with low action. I do find runs like arppegios are easier with lower action but big bends can be tougher.

some good points here...

action that's TOO low affects the way the strings resonate and can squash your tone..AND harmonics just fart out...and you're right about the bends...when the action's too low I find my fingers just slippin' right off the damn string...can't dig in

really high action (for me) is just too damn hard to play...so it's a balancing act..

• Members
Originally posted by shreder75

some good points here...

action that's TOO low affects the way the strings resonate and can squash your tone..AND harmonics just fart out...and you're right about the bends...when the action's too low I find my fingers just slippin' right off the damn string...can't dig in

really high action (for me) is just too damn hard to play...so it's a balancing act..

Yeah, we hit 60 for a temp the other day and sure enough one of my guitar's necks moved, unfinished neck of course was the mover :mad: Low action is very hard imo to maintain and it is getting to be a pain in the ass!

• Members

Yeah, we hit 60 for a temp the other day and sure enough one of my guitar's necks moved, unfinished neck of course was the mover
:mad:
Low action is very hard imo to maintain and it is getting to be a pain in the ass!

yep, that can do it too...wood expands and contracts like anything else....

do you keep your axes in a case or on a stand?

• Members
Originally posted by shreder75

yep, that can do it too...wood expands and contracts like anything else....

do you keep your axes in a case or on a stand?

Case due to my almost 3 year old son grabbing strings and yanking them off the stands :cry: I have to learn soon to properly set guitars up, I am up to 6 and it is getting expensive for setups!!!!

• Members

Case due to my almost 3 year old son grabbing strings and yanking them off the stands
:cry:
I have to learn soon to properly set guitars up, I am up to 6 and it is getting expensive for setups!!!!

D'OH!! good idea keepin' themin the case then ;) I used to keep them in the case all the time but i have one of those two guitar stands that I keep them both on now...and I just keep the door shut so the furricane (dizzy the dog) can't get at them...

I set up all my own stuff now.....unless there's a dead fret or something like that going on, it's not that hard..just alotta trial and error..adjust action, see if the neck's straight, adjust, repeat, wash, rinse, spin =)

the biggest pain in the ass about my ESP mirage is that the truss rod adjustments where the neck BOLTS onto the body! so that was trial and error..cause I had to take the neck off to access it...

that's one great thing about the EBMM's I had...the adjustment was right at the end of the neck by the body, no plates to remove or anything...

my lynch has a little plate on the headstock to access the truss rod..but that thing's straight as an arrow...

• Members

Those who said they play with high action, just how high is your action?

I remember when i was a lot younger i was basing my setup all on some notes that Joe Satriani's guitar tech put up online. According to him, Joe plays with extremely low action with a compound radius fretboard and whatnot. It drove me nuts trying to go as low as he could because i kept getting bad results, buzzing, dead spots, etc. My cheapo Strat just wasn't made for that (though i didn't know it then).

Now i'm trying to play higher. I've made two adjustments very recently.

• Members

My guitars are set up with the action pretty high. Sometimes palying a guitar with low action is fun but I personally prefer higher action. Its just more satisfying to me and plus when I play someone elses guitar thats set up really low, I feel like my fingers are flying.

• Members

high action won't kill ya. my epiphone beast definitely doesn't have low action, and i have been switching between 13-56 and 11-52 in different tunings...you get used to it. and tapping/pinch harmonics are so nice with that action.

• Members

Originally posted by Sick Michael

I think Im starting to. A friend of mine remarked at how high the action was on my Ibanez RG. He has this brand new Yamaha thing and the action is really low on it. Its dead easy to play.

Ok, the RG is a thin necked guitar and Im starting to realise I get better tone when the strings are higher. The strings also dont choke on bends high up the fretboard.

Anyone else play with a high action?

I keep my action much higher than I used to back in the day, much better tone, and still easy to play (Jackson Rhoads V). I have a friend who keeps his action low and when he played mine he loved it. There is nothing wrong with low, I used to be a "the lower the better" guy, but I found that I started to raise my action little by little over the years. I also have a very heavy right hand, so that is part of the reason that I find the high action works well for me. With the action too low, I would get little noises, which didn't phase me when I was just getting started, but now I prefer the cleaner tone to the "slightly easier to play" quality of lower action.

Archived