List of Synthesizers featuring rare features... keep me updated

AnalogGuy

• Members

In '84 that's actually quite amazing!

I guess you could quantize to something other than semitones, it depends on quantize step setting (if it's available).

Correction: Waldorf Q has Glide modes: Portamento (normal glide) and Glissando (chromatic glide). Same goes for Microwaves and Blofelds. I have also checked the manual, seems like they don't have the quantize modifier. But I think that Kurzweils have something like that in their FUNs.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Alesis Andromeda A6

1) Tracking Generator ("redraw modulation sources to custom curves")

2) True multimode Filter (3 simultaneous filters in 1, only for filter 1)

3) Multi Oscilators (4 simultaneous oscilators in 1, both oscilators)

4) AD1D2SR1R2 envelops with multiple curves.

5) arpeggiator and sequencer used as modulation source

6) 16 arpeggiators

7) Fm modulation on filters, as well as both oscilators, fm can be either exponetial or linear

8) Mixer for before the filters and a second mixer for after the filters. For example , the filtered ring modulator signal can be mixed with the unfiltered ring modulator signal.

9) each of the 2 oscilators has also one suboscilator, I assume this pretty much rare for analogue.

10) CROUTES which is basically modulation of the modulation, but I have not deal it with it in detail to give a clear picture.

11)Splittable ribbon controller , left and right, it can be used as modulaion source so it is not only for pitch

still learning the synth so bare with me.

• Members

Correction: Waldorf Q has Glide modes: Portamento (normal glide) and Glissando (chromatic glide)... But I think that Kurzweils have something like that in their FUNs.

The PC3 series can do this both through FUNS (quantize b to a) and by using Shift Patterns (i.e., user-definable note sequences that can also be used with the arpeggiator). Actually, you could probably do it in at least four or five different ways so it's more a matter of picking your poison.

Speaking of FUNs... Here a couple of the unique things a PC3 can do (there are many more, this is just off the top of my head):

1.) FUNs for mixing control sources.

2.) No limit on how many parameters can be controlled by any particular control source (internal or external).

3.) Assuming 88 keys, at least 4 oscillators [4 layers, using the "good" dsp oscs with some extra room to mix layer output] per key (and the ability to program all of that uniquely per key).

• Members

Portamento (normal glide) and Glissando (chromatic glide)...

The "Dive Bomb" at the into to Ozzies Mr Crowley uses a Portamento that changes to Glisssando right at teh end. It's been really hard for me to replicate....BESIDES the fact that I can't program worth a {censored}....

• Members

MIDIBOARD has front-panel sliders to adjust attack & release velocity as well as "touch" which determines how hard you need to push to sustain a note (kind of useless, really)
as well as aftertouch sensitivity and "retrigger threshold" which I can't really fathom

In this work-in-progress-unfinished cover song you will hear this feature at 2:10 (cymbal roll), 2:43, and 4:09 (chime tree)

Retrigger threshold combined with polyAT is very effective with percussive stuff.

• Members

The "Dive Bomb" at the into to Ozzies Mr Crowley uses a Portamento that changes to Glisssando right at teh end. It's been really hard for me to replicate....BESIDES the fact that I can't program worth a {censored}....

Use portamento until certain point, then turn off portamento with the other hand, and manually glissando to the end, as a workaround?

• Members

per key (and the ability to program all of that uniquely per key).

well pc3 permits for up to 32 layers, and completely modular architecture,separate to the onboard VA angine. Thats pretty rare I would say. Add in unlimited MIDI tracks in sequencer, and smart effects that turn themselves on and off automatically to preserve polyphony with no loss in audio quality.

I wont dare to imagine what the rumoured K3000 will include, a nuclear reactor maybe ?

• Members

In this work-in-progress-unfinished
you will hear this feature at 2:10 (cymbal roll), 2:43, and 4:09 (chime tree)

Retrigger threshold combined with polyAT is very effective with percussive stuff.

Hmm, guess I'm thinking too inside the box. I'm still unsure how you're doing that, though. Kindly explain?

• Members

KAWAI's K11
had dual MIDI OUT ports.

* Not independent, but it was a cool feature, anyway.

My Technics SX-WSA1 has 2 sets of midi in / out and through ports

1 Pitch bend

2 Mod Wheels

1 Modulation Tracker Ball

1 Realtime Creator ( Mini Tracker Ball)

2 foot switches

1 foot controller pedal

Is preset sample osc based physical modeling synth and quite unique in the synth world in general from a sound generating perspective at least.

Just need the dance board in mine and it will be fully optioned with the rare multioutput expander (already installed).

Sequencer has some nice built in features too.

• Members

Hmm, guess I'm thinking too inside the box. I'm still unsure how you're doing that, though. Kindly explain?

Set retrigger and aftertouch sliders about midway.

Select a key that triggers a cymbal.

Lightly press and hold that key.

While holding it down, apply pressure. "Retrigger" sends a string of note-ons at very rapid rate. The harder you apply pressure, the higher the velocity on the note-ons.

The "retrigger threshold" all the way up turns it off. Lowering the slider lowers the threshold. When the aftertouch is greater than the threshold, it "retriggers" note-ons for that key. All the way down will retrigger constantly.

With the right cymbal sample it can sound like a cymbal roll, whose swell you control with aftertouch. On my example I used TWO keys for that chime tree effect which got that stereo sweep.

It's not a widely understood feature. Since I am also a drummer/percussionist, I knew how to exploit it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Midiboard has release velocity.

Chroma does not have Poly AT stock, though it was built to accomodate it.

It was available as an option towards the end of the run but very few have it.

(less than 10 known).Currently a Chroma list member has engineered an add on but it's not been produced yet.

I know, but it was available as factory installed so I will keep it listed

• Members
Although I wasn't a fan of the synth, I really, really dug the way the Alesis Microns pitch bend could be set to only control the notes currently being depressed - thus allowing released notes to keep their pitch.

A pretty simple, but very effective, creative, feature that I haven't come across in any other synth (Ion probably, but...)... anybody else know one?

Thank you for noting me this! My Yamaha CS-40M does have that feature as well and I forgot it!!!

It's duophonic machine and when I put longer sustain, I can hit 2 keys and keep only one pressed so the pitch bend bends only the key I am holding down... it is truly useful and makes difference while playing, for example, with pitch bend I can play sustained sounds and switch octave down forth and back without noticing bending.

:thu:

• Members
oh man, I'm kicking myself even more now for passing on a minty cs40m for $400 a few years ago. I love the sound/feel/look of that thing.

lol... that's sooooo cheap... :eek:

In here Finland all analog synths are much more rare, harder to find and also more expensive... My CS-40M cost about 1000 euros (~$1500) although it was not even mint but at least in good working condition.

• Members

re: glissando.

The Prophet 5 had this knob that tuned the keyboard chromatically about 2 octaves. (In addition to a "fine tune" knob.) Playing a chord and turning the knob 12 notches allowed me to do the glissando at the beginning of Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose". Not sure what keyboard their player used or how he did that trick, but I never ran across any other keyboards at the time that could re-create this effect.

• Members

"Turn Me Loose" was a synth set to chord function. The glissando was rapid half step scaling. Yes he played the glissando manually. There's a YT of them performing it live, you can see him doing it.

I did not know that! I'll look for that video.

Do you know what synth he used, BTW?

In any case, the tune knob on the P5 re-created the same effect. More than one way to skin cats, as they say!

Archived