Just discovered Savatage

willy22

• Members

I got satellite radio a few weeks ago and for some reason I keep it on the "hair" metal channel :thu: most of the time. They play Savatage alot. These guys are SMOKING guitarists. Can someone who's a fan give me some details about the guitarists and what equipment (of course! ;) ) they used? Why these guys didn't blow up I don't understand.

• Members

Unfortunately, the original guitarist Chris Oliva died in a car crash on his way to perform at Live Stock in Zephyrhills, FL several years ago. His brother and frontman, John Oliva, was devastated and folded the project for a little while. John later put the project back together, so Alex Skolnick left Testament and joined Savatage. Check out the tune "Handful of Rain"...great ballad with good guitarwork.

If you want to hear one of Chris Oliva's better moments, the song Jesus Saves {censored}in' rocks.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Those three - HOTMK, Gutter Ballet, and Edge of Thorns are just incredible. Chris was a huge influence on me. I was gutted when he passed away. An old school friend of mine went on tour with them as a guitar tech/roadie for years, and said that they were all very cool, but Chris especially so - spent a lot of time talking to fans, talking guitar with anyone who would do so, and helping out local acts.

Archived