Latest VH clone head....

carlygtr56

• Members

Originally posted by DAVID PHILLIPS

Here are some clips of the Variplex.

I ran a reissue Les Paul with a Tom Holmes in the bridge into the Variplex dimed across the board dropped to 90 volts. The head went into a 70's Marshall cab with 25Watt Greenback reissues. It was then miked with a SM57. No EQ.

http://www.davidphillipsmusic.com/variplexrev.mp3
Reverb

http://www.davidphillipsmusic.com/variplexdry.mp3
No reverb

{censored} that sounds good, and indeed, VERY CLOSE to tbhe original IMO. :thu:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by DAVID PHILLIPS

Here are some clips of the Variplex.

I ran a reissue Les Paul with a Tom Holmes in the bridge into the Variplex dimed across the board dropped to 90 volts. The head went into a 70's Marshall cab with 25Watt Greenback reissues. It was then miked with a SM57. No EQ.

Reverb

No reverb

Well now... that's a helluva good sounding amp!

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by Guvnor

Not to mention, the VH tone is honestly NOT THAT GOOD... people are just nostalgic for the sound of their youth... I've always found it TOO fizzy...

Wow, that's interesting, actually. I've never personally considered that tone "fizzy" in the least. Different strokes, I guess.

• Members

The Dance the Night Away clips really sound good. But once again, this is a 50 watt Plexi that needs to be dimed. Way too loud for anywhere but a large club, I would think?

Shows to get "the" tone, you need a loud Plexi-type circuit and that Variac! Wonder how a plain vanilla reissue 1959 would sound with the variac, dimed?

• Members

Originally posted by Psychotronic

Wow, that's interesting, actually. I've never personally considered that tone "fizzy" in the least. Different strokes, I guess.

Maybe fizzy isn't the right word, but really listen closely to the high end. It has a garbled, fuzz pedal sort of thing going on. Don't get me wrong...that's actually an authentic part of that type of tone. I'm just pointing out that some people really dig that and some don't.

• Members

Originally posted by AndyK

The Dance the Night Away clips really sound good. But once again, this is a 50 watt Plexi that needs to be dimed. Way too loud for anywhere but a large club, I would think?

Shows to get "the" tone, you need a loud Plexi-type circuit and that Variac! Wonder how a plain vanilla reissue 1959 would sound with the variac, dimed?

Not exactly. The guy who created it says you can get it down to 10W with the variac and it sounds like that. My PeaceMaker with power dampening can get down into the single digit watts, even though it is cranked. Still loud though - band practice in a small room loud. If you need to get lower than that get a PODXT...

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by guitarded_1

Maybe fizzy isn't the right word, but really listen closely to the high end. It has a garbled, fuzz pedal sort of thing going on. Don't get me wrong...that's actually an authentic part of that type of tone. I'm just pointing out that some people really dig that and some don't.

More people dig it than don't... I don't hear any "garbled, fuzz pedal sort of thing" at all, but to each his own...

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by sah5150

More people dig it than don't... I don't hear any "garbled, fuzz pedal sort of thing" at all, but to each his own...

Steve

Huh. Perhaps I'm not describing it right, but you can clearly hear a quality to those heavy chords that is distictly lo-fi in the way it breaks up. It's almost like a compression in the very upper registers when you dig in. Listen to the heavier picking on chords, as it's pretty apparent. Mind you, this is the type of tonal quality that most people feel is missing from other amps that try to do the VH sound. It's the sound of a NMV amp being pushed until it's about to melt...and it definitely sounds like it's about to melt.

• Members

does anybody else get just a little bit of puke in there mouth when they hear "nails early classic VH tone"?

I have heard people mimic that tone close enough all over the place...I think any body that can pull off the playing with the actual feel of EVH can get there with a number of amps..

theres one guy ( Vh aholic) who gets a great brown sound through a 5150 combo...I think 90% percent of that sound is how well you play the stuff...

I could probobly play through a peacmaker, metroamp, etc. and it would sound nothing like classic vh:)

I mean if you played a tune like Sabbath's War Pigs through a peace maker and didnt give away the amp would everyone yell " great brownsound!!" I am thinking no one would even go there...

• Members

Huh. Perhaps I'm not describing it right, but you can clearly hear a quality to those heavy chords that is distictly lo-fi in the way it breaks up. It's almost like a compression in the very upper registers when you dig in. Listen to the heavier picking on chords, as it's pretty apparent. Mind you, this is the type of tonal quality that most people feel is missing from other amps that try to do the VH sound. It's the sound of a NMV amp being pushed until it's about to melt...and it definitely sounds like it's about to melt.

The MP3 format kinda screws with the highs and lows. As a wav it sounds a lot different.

David

• Members

Originally posted by AndyK

The coold thing about the amp is you can drop it down to run like a 20 watt amp and turn it all the way up and it won't blow the audience away. Also, it dosen't just do the VH tone. It is an exact replica of a 68 Plexi, so Hendrix, Clapton, Zeppelin tones are all there. If you run a tube screamer into the front and set the volume on 4 it is perfect for any gig or club.

David

• Members

Originally posted by dropthisd

Lol, yes sir that LP really nails that the VH tone, Sorry IMHO that is not even close, let alone authentic.

Here is Ed in 1984 jammin by himself in a rehearsal hall. Pretty damn close. Keep in mind the recoding is a bit distorted, but you hear the same type of gain and tonality.

David

www.davidphillipsmusic.com/EVH1984

• Members

I hear that too. The amp sounds killer and for leads it seems spot on. For rhythms though it sounds like he is getting too much power tube distortion or speaker breakup. It is fizzy, fuzzy, spitty sounding to me on the rhythms. Ed's amp does sound like that in the 1984 studio jamming clip that he posted in this thread though. That is a sound I am just always trying to stay away from when I go for cranked plexi tones.

• Members

Originally posted by Chubtone

I hear that too. The amp sounds killer and for leads it seems spot on. For rhythms though it sounds like he is getting too much power tube distortion or speaker breakup. It is fizzy, fuzzy, spitty sounding to me on the rhythms. Ed's amp does sound like that in the 1984 studio jamming clip that he posted in this thread though. That is a sound I am just always trying to stay away from when I go for cranked plexi tones.

YES!!! That's it..."spitty". I used to have a JMP that had some sort of mod that did something to cut the volume and saturate the power tubes at the same time. Sorry...I'm not exactly tech oriented. In any event, it wasn't speaker breakup, it was the sound of power tubes being pushed into extreme breakup.

• Members

Originally posted by bmf5150

i find the way ralle got the sound the most interesting part,without the reis greenbacks with the amp setup to his specs,it doesnt sound correct.

Well I'll let you know my findings when I set up my metroamp to ralles specs. Well I should actually say when Gnugear sets it up for me lol :D

Archived