Latest VH clone head....

carlygtr56

• Members

John Ziegler is talking this head up at Huge Racks and TGP.

They are using an outboard Variac, connected with some special connection, to drop the voltage way way down, thus giving the VH brown sound.

Here's the skinny-

I quote John Z

this is a quote from a good friend on mine, a guitarist here in LA named david phillips, who just got this new amp called a VARIPLEX, created by dave friedman(rack systems) and roy blankenship(blankenship amplification) here in north hollywood....

"Well, I finally got my ultimate amp. The Variplex by Roy Blankenship and Dave Freidman. All I can say is it is exactly the Van Halen tone with everything dimed. I can also get the perfect Cream and Hendrix tones. Basically it is the best Marshall without the headaches. The amp is a 50 watt plexi with a Variac which allows you to run the amp wide open without damaging you ears or the tubes. I can drop it down so it runs like a 10 watt amp and it still sounds amazing. Full power tube distortion-no master vol, no pre gain. Words can't describe it fully. I have found the tone."

so dave brought his amp over last night and we jammed it through one of my '60s marshall cabs with greenbacks in it....

and compared it to one of my old VHed original plexis with a tenma variac.

the variplex is great! what a cool amp.

both channels are stellar! i REALLY loved the 2nd channel....superbass meets cranked ac30.

the sound and feel kicks ass, especially with the variac on all adjustments!

tone for days!

dave and roy nailed it! bravo!

i hope you'll look into em....it's a monster!

choice!

thanx and cheers,

john Z

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm pretty much sold on Ralle 500's plexi specs. I haven't heard anything yet that has come as close to the old VH1 sounds then his plexi with a few part changes.

I would love to hear this amp though and will keep and open mind, but Ralle over at the metroamp board has that tone in spades!!!

Thanks for the heads up!!

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

I'm pretty much sold on Ralle 500's plexi specs. I haven't heard anything yet that has come as close to the old VH1 sounds then his plexi with a few part changes.

I would love to hear this amp though and will keep and open mind, but Ralle over at the metroamp board has that tone in spades!!!

Ralph, I was reading old posts at MetroAmp...saw you had a kit.

I asked George about the '68 they offer, fully built. Wait time, etc.

Not bad.

Unless some channel switcher completely floor me, I'm sticking with a non master volume Marshall type as a possible next amp....:)

• Members

I try to keep an open mind about things but I'm just SO TIRED of the ...

"Yeah man this thing totally NAILS the VH sound. I mean, we all know what he used the 100-watt plexi and variac to get his sound and this is IT. Totally nailed it. This is the REAL DEAL!"

"And oh yeah, we made it fifty-watts because that's more convenient and spongier than 100-watts and oh yeah...the second channel has this cool vox thing going. And oh yeah it's got a couple other tweaks to it so it's great for metal too..."

Second channel?? Vox?? 50 watts? WTF are you talking about?

And the same guys who are always talking the "Man don't cop his sound, go get your own sound" {censored} are the same guys that sell their amps with clips of 50 different VH riffs. How about go SELL your own sound!

Or if you're not shopping for a plexi clone "nah man, my amp isn't a plexi clone" but if you want a plexi..."well you know, we had this holy grail '68 plexi come through the shop and we checked it out..." Yeah yeah yeah. Every shop had a magical holy grail plexi blow through like a tumbleweed, so every amp shop knows all the secrets. And yet they somehow all sell something different...

PPFPFPFFFFTTTTTTT......

Alright I'm done. :)

• Members

Personally, I have not heard anyone get the close to the VH sound unless they were using an old Marshall (ralle). The old plexies have a certain tone that CANNOT be reproduced. If you have never played one in person, you wont be able to understand what I am talking about. I personally think it is the transformers.

• Members

I'm leaning towards the 1959HW or the MetroAmp '68.

I agree with Ratter. The word "nailed" is used too often. John Z seems to be shilling the amp for his buds. He tried it, yet for a guy that posts many many clips, he couldn't hit "record" during the demo?

• Members

Originally posted by carlygtr56

Ralph, I was reading old posts at MetroAmp...saw you had a kit.

I asked George about the '68 they offer, fully built. Wait time, etc.

Not bad.

Unless some channel switcher completely floor me, I'm sticking with a non master volume Marshall type as a possible next amp....
:)

Hey Carl!!

I have the kit and it its 3/4 the way done. I have been slacking on getting the thing built for over a year now:eek: SteveVHT and I are going to commence on the build soon!

That said, all of the parts are top notch and I have heard some killer clips from people building these things and from Georges already built heads.

I can't think of anyone else who build a clone that is that acurate. George went to great lengths to get every right!!

FWIW, Chris (gnugear) on HC let me hear his Metroamp that he built to Ralles specs and it sounded KILLER. That guy Ralle guy is no joke. he has perfected the Ulitimate marshall tone (well my ultimnate Marshall tone )lol :D

• Members

Pic-

x00014766_171.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but what's that thing sitting on top of the amp? Looks like a smoothie machine or something.

I agree with Mikey,...I'm sick of hearing about these amps that can do the VH tone, blah, blah, blah. It's SOOOO played.

• Members

Originally posted by Cibyl

Excuse my ignorance, but what's that thing sitting on top of the amp? Looks like a smoothie machine or something.

I agree with Mikey,...I'm sick of hearing about these amps that can do the VH tone, blah, blah, blah. It's SOOOO played.

That's the Variac.

• Members

Variac

• Members

Hey Carl!!

I have the kit and it its 3/4 the way done. I have been slacking on getting the thing built for over a year now:eek: SteveVHT and I are going to commence on the build soon!

That said, all of the parts are top notch and I have heard some killer clips from people building these things and from Georges already built heads.

I can't think of anyone else who build a clone that is that acurate. George went to great lengths to get every right!!

FWIW, Chris (gnugear) on HC let me hear his Metroamp that he built to Ralles specs and it sounded KILLER. That guy Ralle guy is no joke. he has perfected the Ulitimate marshall tone (well my ultimnate Marshall tone )lol
:D

Ahh, you didn't finish it:D Those posts at Metro were kinda old too. Though you'd be done by now!

Yes, George is offering a few models, covering a few different eras.

I have heard a bunch of clips on the site....some A/B'd with the real deal ('67 Marshall) and like what I heard.

I'm not shooting for VH anyway, just a great Jimi/Trower type sound I can use with my pedals. His '68 looks cool..to me.

• Members

I'd like to see a Marshall clone with a Smoothie Machine installed.

What better to have while playing?:D

• Members

Ahh, you didn't finish it:D Those posts at Metro were kinda old too. Though you'd be done by now!

Yes, George is offering a few models, covering a few different eras.

I have heard a bunch of clips on the site....some A/B'd with the real deal ('67 Marshall) and like what I heard.

I'm not shooting for VH anyway, just a great Jimi/Trower type sound I can use with my pedals. His '68 looks cool..to me.

The '67 comparison clips are freaking awesome. I can see myself with one of those kits someday...or maybe a JTM for something different. But I think that guy definitely has an ear for tone...

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

The '67 comparison clips are freaking awesome. I can see myself with one of those kits someday...or maybe a JTM for something different. But I think that guy definitely has an ear for tone...

Nice guy too. I emailed him for info....he got right back to me.

Somebody should be able to incorporate this to a 100 watt head via a nutric connector?

B00005O0N1.01.PT01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• Members

I don't mind if they say it cops the VH tone or even that it NAILS the VH tone. But it's the same guys who will say "you can't cop that tone, it's in his fingers" or "go find your own tone" up UNTIL they happen to be selling the latest VH Clone amp. Then all of a sudden copping VH tone is suddenly acceptable and possible and cool...I can think of at least four amp builders that post on the various forums that have all done the exact same thing...

• Members

I've played the Blankenship amp, and it is as the 1st post stated... it nails that tone, when you plug into the treble channel. The 2nd channel is just a useful cleaner alternative.. kind of sounded like a cranked up 66 bassman head I have, to me...

food for thought- Dave is my tech, I've known him for years. i've personally seen some of Van Halen's amps in his shop being serviced. i know he's gone through Ed's main magic Marshall too.. so who better to make an amp that nails that tone than him? He's one of the few guys that have actually worked on/played through the amp that has that sound so many guys are chasing....

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Here are some clips of the Variplex.

I ran a reissue Les Paul with a Tom Holmes in the bridge into the Variplex dimed across the board dropped to 90 volts. The head went into a 70's Marshall cab with 25Watt Greenback reissues. It was then miked with a SM57. No EQ.

http://www.davidphillipsmusic.com/variplexrev.mp3 Reverb

http://www.davidphillipsmusic.com/variplexdry.mp3 No reverb

• Members

Does that variac only affect B+ voltage? Otherwise you're damaging the cathodes on the tubes... wouldn't it have been easier to drop B+ voltage internally with a Zener, different tap off the power supply or somesuch? Are you guys rebiasing your amps when you run a variac?

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

I don't mind if they say it cops the VH tone or even that it NAILS the VH tone. But it's the same guys who will say "you can't cop that tone, it's in his fingers" or "go find your own tone" up UNTIL they happen to be selling the latest VH Clone amp. Then all of a sudden copping VH tone is suddenly acceptable and possible and cool...I can think of at least four amp builders that post on the various forums that have all done the exact same thing...

Not to mention, the VH tone is honestly NOT THAT GOOD... people are just nostalgic for the sound of their youth... I've always found it TOO fizzy...

Archived