How to boost a JCM800 style amp with sd-1

Ryan F

• Members

I got a peavey vtm120, a 6550 equivalent of a jcm800 (more or less). After using only a TSL100, i have no idea how to correctly boost the vtm with a sd-1.

I love all the boosted jcm800 tones i hear on the forum, but i cant get mine to sound remotely similar.

Do i use the amp on the low gain input, and run the gain on the sd-1 up, or do i use the high input and run gain on sd-1 low?

Could someone post clips of an amp with identical settings one with boost and another with boost turned off so i can get a comparison?

Thanks

• Members
Originally posted by Ryan F

I got a peavey vtm120, a 6550 equivalent of a jcm800 (more or less). After using only a TSL100, i have no idea how to correctly boost the vtm with a sd-1.

I love all the boosted jcm800 tones i hear on the forum, but i cant get mine to sound remotely similar.

Do i use the amp on the low gain input, and run the gain on the sd-1 up, or do i use the high input and run gain on sd-1 low?

Could someone post clips of an amp with identical settings one with boost and another with boost turned off so i can get a comparison?

Thanks

I assume you want to push the front end of the amp? If so,I would think you'd want to use the high sensitivity input on the amp. And since to want to use the pedal to increase your line level signal,and NOT to add its own distortion,obviously you would have the level higher and the gain lower.

• Members

Originally posted by Ryan F

Thanks

if you're having trouble nailing JCM 800 tones, it's probably because you bought a VTM, not a JCM 800. a VTM might get you in the Marshall ballpark, but if the JCM 800 is home plate, the VTM is the nosebleed section.

• Members

I'm not lookin for dead on imitation of the jcm800. I just picked this amp up as something incredibly cheap to play around with for my first single channel amp. It gets me where I want to go.

Thanks guys.

• Members

Turn the gain down, turn the level up. Fiddle with the tone knob. Fiddle with the gain. Fiddle with the level. Keep doing it until you like the sound.

You want to probably have the gain almost all the way down, the tone somewhere past 12:00, and the level nearly maxed. If you boost bass before distortion, you get choppy fuzz sounds. If you boost treble, you get searing buzz distortion. A slightly boosted treble and maxed level with just a hint of gain ROCKS.

Archived