single guitar band: one or two 4x12s?

Sordid1

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

The overall sound will come through the mains. A second cab really won't make a difference to the crowd. It might seem a little bare on stage but that will probably be more from the rhythm dropping out when you go to a lead,etc. And that is always more noticeable on stage than out front.

Cool, I have an above average bass player so i'm not worried about the solo part at all. As long as the crowd won't notice a difference I don't think i'm going to worry about it. I appreciate your responses by the way since you had good reasoning behind them.

_Shane

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

Cool, I have an above average bass player so i'm not worried about the solo part at all. As long as the crowd won't notice a difference I don't think i'm going to worry about it. I appreciate your responses by the way since you had good reasoning behind them.

_Shane

And I typed really slow since you are from Iowa!:p:idea: Good luck!

• Members

On smaller stages I use a 1x12 mesa speaker only. On larger stages I use one 1x12 mesa speaker on one side and another on the other side. If I feel like hauling it around, I'll used my G-flex and that is loud enough for any stage.

Unless you are playing stadiums you do not need even one 4x12.

• Members
Originally posted by Ripping Rudy

On smaller stages I use a 1x12 mesa speaker only. On larger stages I use one 1x12 mesa speaker on one side and another on the other side. If I feel like hauling it around, I'll used my G-flex and that is loud enough for any stage.

Unless you are playing stadiums you do not need even one 4x12.

I like the tone better.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I like the tone better.

That's why I have one too because I like the tone of four speakers. I would gig with a 2x12 Gflex no problem though but i've yet to hear a 1x12 I really dug. Personal taste of course.

• Members

I'm sorta in the same boat with my bandmate/other guitarist leaving some time ago. But we always had cabs on each others side for monitoring each other more easily. Now the bassplayer in on the leftwing and we exchange cabs also. Just vocals in the monitors.

Giga.

• Members

Well I just got an email back from my sound guy and he said to bring both. He said that will fill out the sound for the people that stand at the front of the stage which is right behind where the mains are and he will mic both which will give me a couple slightly different tones to work with.

• Members

Well I just got an email back from my sound guy and he said to bring both. He said that will fill out the sound for the people that stand at the front of the stage which is right behind where the mains are and he will mic both which will give me a couple slightly different tones to work with.

Hey Sordid,

Where are you guys gigging at w/ house sound?

• Members

i am in a one guitar band right now, i use just my 4x12 (i was in a 2 guitar band and used just my 2x12).

I have been noticing lately that our sound isnt as big as say the other bands we play with because we only have one guitar. Its not even the playing that isnt big, its the lack of 2 1/2 stacks filling out the entire stage.

I think i'm gonna have a stereo amp setup. My side of the stage will have my mesa and my 412, and the other side i'll get another amp and a 212. That should work out pretty good for what i'm trying to do i think.

I was gonna get an a/b/y pedal, but i have a chorus ensemble with 2 outputs, so i'll just put my boost before that, then send the split signal to both amps. It will be more to haul around, but i think it will deffinately make a difference.

• Members

We are playing the House of Bricks with Countach and On a Pale Horse Friday the 21st.

I've heard of On A Pale Horse,but not the other band.Is this strictly original music?

Any idea what kind of p.a. system the House p.a. is?

• Members

Originally posted by smitty0069

I've heard of On A Pale Horse,but not the other band.Is this strictly original music?

Any idea what kind of p.a. system the House p.a. is?

Countach is a band out of Minneapolis that is on MC records with Pale Horse. i'm not sure on the boards and power amps but I believe they have some Peavey stuff for the mains and monitors. The sound is always really good there either way.

• Members

Countach is a band out of Minneapolis that is on MC records with Pale Horse. i'm not sure on the boards and power amps but I believe they have some Peavey stuff for the mains and monitors. The sound is always really good there either way.

As much as Peavey gets a bad rap for the p.a. gear it's actually decent stuff these days & tough as hell.I'd like to see it get to the point where it's more received in the production business like it has the guitar world.

So is this strictly original music then at these shows?What happened to the other guitarist?

p.s. the link to your myspace page from the Stars4Iowa.com page is wrong & doesn't let you access your myspace page because of some misspelling.

• Members

As some of you probably know we let our other guitarist go this week. Anyway, we have a show next weekend for the first time as a four piece. I know for rehearsal having two cabinets sounds a little fuller but will this matter in a live situation with everything being mic'd up? I don't want to have to go to the trouble of borrowing a cab from a friend if it's not going to help much.

Thanks Shane

I am the sole guitarist in my band too. And I can tell you first hand that more cabs make a big difference ONLY if you have a big stage volume that transends onto the audience. If it does, you can split your two 4x12 cabs to both sides of the stage, making you sound a lot fuller to the audience. But you have to put the cabs on a milk crate and elavate the cab a foot or so, it helps. A nice Chorus and Hall Reverb helps fill things up tremendously as well, just don't overdo it.

In a large enough stage setting, I have used all eight of my cabs, and angled the first two stacks slightly left and the other two slightly to the right and it helps a lot without having to split up your cabs. But I don't like to split 4 cabs if I can help it unless the stage is big enough to allow it..

• Members

As much as Peavey gets a bad rap for the p.a. gear it's actually decent stuff these days & tough as hell.I'd like to see it get to the point where it's more received in the production business like it has the guitar world.

So is this strictly original music then at these shows?What happened to the other guitarist?

it is all original music, I would rather not say why we let Jeff go and I agree the Peavey stuff is much better than stated. Thanks for the tip on the link.

p.s. the link to your myspace page from the Stars4Iowa.com page is wrong & doesn't let you access your myspace page because of some misspelling.

• Members

:confused:

My computer was acting strange so my post didn't come thru. Anyway, we had various reasons for parting ways with my other guitarist I don't want to get into. The gigs we play are about 99% original music, we do a couple covers just for fun at some gigs. I agree the Peavey stuff is much better than they get credit for as well.

Archived