Great shredder guitars for great prices??

rcervera

• Members

For that money im sure you could find an old jackson professional series guitar. It will probably destroy everything else out there in the price range IMO.

J002212.jpg

0a_1.JPG

Theyre MIJ with ebony boards, neckthru design etc and can be setup to play just as nicely as a real soloist. Ive played a few that have really suprised me.

You can even get a neck thru RR

jack-rhoads-Pro-J0006861.jpg

or Kelly

KELLY.jpg

or warrior

b8_1_b.JPG

just my 2p

James

• Members

Originally posted by rcervera

New or used.

I've always been attached to the ibanez RG models, great necks! But would like to try some new guitars.

I would consider a great price to be close to $450

:thu:

Hell, I guess you WOULD........$450? Why not buy a great guitar with high quality parts and a real top that you will keep for life instead of buying these cheap guitars? I am just curious?

I have always said that it is better to save up and spend more and get something that will be stage worthy on ANY concert stage, not just to practice on or play in small clubs. You just cannot buy a new guitar for $450 and get a great guitar that will sound great and STAY sounding great under any circumstance.

I have always saved up and did a lot of research on tone woods and good tremolos, properly mounted pickups, high quality electronics, and etc. before buying some cheap guitar with inferior parts. This may be one of the problems with the way CD's sound of new bands..........cheap guitars with cheap tone and amps that try to do all the work with preamp distortion that sounds like a tin can in a nest of pissed off bumble bees....................

Take pickups for example...........it is going to cost you at least $75 each for good pickups...that's $150 of the $450 you want to spend. A REAL full top cost anywhere from $100 (plain top to AAA top) to $200 (AAAAA top) just for the raw wood for a full top........do the math.........that's $250 to $350 so far and you don't even have a high quality neck or body yet.

Now for a tremolo........a $450 guitar will at best have a very cheap and badly made Floyd Licensed trem on it....say for $45 to $80......a REAL original Floyd Rose is at least $225 to $250 and you should at LEAST buy a GOOD licensed Floyd if you can't afford the original........and they cost about $125 to $150....like my Gotoh Licensed Floyd on my EBMM EVH /AXIS guitar, a very very good copy. These cheap Floyd copies just do not hold up under a lot of frequent playing and never hold really constant tune, especially after the non-heat treated non-carbon steel blades get dented or lose their edge, a very common thing to happen to cheap licensed copies.

The neck is your next problem with a $450 guitar.........like it or not, ALL guitars need fret and neck work as soon as you get it from the factory....they need fret leveling, hand polishing, and a complete professional set up before it is ready to tour with. The problem here is that who wants to spend $125 every 6 months or so (required on guitars with extremely LOW action) on a guitar that only costs $450 in the first place?

$125 every 6 months is common and a standard thing you need to do with very low action due to humidity and weather changes that make a low action guitar buzz frequently on guitars that have been played a lot, and there are things that you want your Luthier to do and not try it yourself like re polishing and hand honing the small dents out of your frets. A properly done fretboard is as close as 1/10,000 inch of dead perfect between the top of the fret and the bottom of the string for extremely low action.

Unless you have personally played on a guitar that has been hand honed and hand polished to 1/10,000 inch........you have never felt what your guitar is REALLY capable of, and believe me you will fall in love with your guitar all over again after you have played on it with this kind of accuracy. Your $450 guitar WILL play this way too, but are you willing to spend $125 every 6 months or even once a year AND replace allthe parts as well?

My point here is that you should NEVER want a $450 inferior quality guitar if you are going to be a professional guitarist and want it to last any time at all and especially if you want to sound great and do the required "upkeep"work every 6 moths or so......it's like a tune up on your car, you have to do it for it to run at it's best ability)......hell, even once a year if you have 3 or 4 or more guitars can be very expensive upkeep for a $450 guitar.........

I think that you should be concentrating on a guitar in the $1,500 to $2,000 range............for that price you can get a great guitar with all high quality parts that plays every bit as well as a $5,000+ PRS or Gibson Custom Shop guitar and you will be MUCH happier when you have played on a guitar with a great neck job (which you won't know what feels like unless you have played on one AFTER it has been properly set up to 1/10,000 inch or at LEAST close to that measurement), and a great body tone using quality tone woods.

All in all, I promise you I am not making these things up, it is all true, and you can easily see where the money goes when you have to replace all the inferior parts on a cheap copy guitar....why not just wait and get yourself a professional guitar that you will cherish the rest of your life??

• Members

Originally posted by dreamspace

^

my old 100 buck Ibanez Blazer smokes most of the Normal 600-700 Strats I've tried
:o

So I wouldn't say that a guitar is pure {censored} if it doesn't cost xxxx$ that's what a corksniffer would do

I didn't say your guitar is pure {censored}........never would say that either............I am talking about buying a professional guitar that you are willing to pay the upkeep to keep it playing well and having all quality parts on it. I am not really talking about Fender type guitars either, although the neck job and tremolo still is the same for your Fender type guitar too. I was pretty much referring to a Les Paul type or a PRS type body style, but it referrs to ANY style really, even though you can get a higher quality Fender style guitar for more like $1,000 instead of $1500.

I am pretty sure you haven't been spending the money every 6 months to a year to do that fret job I am talking about on your guitar either have you? I am willing to bet that if you get it done just ONCE.....you will go "Holy {censored} this thing plays ten times better than it did"......and you will swear by it as much as I do..........give it a try, you have nothing to lose.........and I certainly did not mean to cut down your favorite guitar!

• Members

Originally posted by SKYNETRP

I didn't say your guitar is pure {censored}........never would say that either............I am talking about buying a professional guitar that you are willing to pay the upkeep to keep it playing well and having all quality parts on it. I am not really talking about Fender type guitars either, although the neck job and tremolo still is the same for your Fender type guitar too.

I am pretty sure you haven't been spending the money every 6 months to a year to do that fret job I am talking about on your guitar either have you? I am willing to bet that if you get it done just ONCE.....you will go "Holy {censored} this thing plays ten times better than it did"......and you will swear by it as much as I do..........give it a try, you have nothing to lose.........and I certainly did not mean to cut down your favorite guitar!

yeah, I know what you mean(kinda misunderstood you, but read through the post again)

• Members

Originally posted by rcervera

New or used.

I've always been attached to the ibanez RG models, great necks! But would like to try some new guitars.

I would consider a great price to be close to $450

:thu:

RG 750

I have a late 80's Ibanez RG750, no case. $450 (US only shipping incl) and its yours.

ESP Mirage Custom

Here's a late 80's ESP Mirage Custom - $395 w/HSC (US only shipping incl). Its very rough. Pics don't really show the battle scars, because of the color. The pointy end of the headstock was broken off (no structural) and pro repaired. I counted about 15 different gouges and imperfections. The fingerboard is in excellent plus condition and it plays fantastic.

• Members

Originally posted by dropthisd

RG 750

I have a late 80's Ibanez RG750, no case. $450 (US only shipping incl) and its yours.

ESP Mirage Custom

Here's a late 80's ESP Mirage Custom - $395 w/HSC (US only shipping incl). Its
very
rough. Pics don't really show the battle scars, because of the color. The pointy end of the headstock was broken off (no structural) and pro repaired. I counted about 15 different gouges and imperfections. The fingerboard is in excellent plus condition and it plays fantastic.

oh {censored}, that's a killer price on the ESP :thu:

• Members

I plan on getting an Ibanez RGT42DXFX when I have some more funds over the summer. It looks like the perfect guitar for me. Neck thru, no trem, Ibanez neck which I love. Cheap too, they are $550ish if I'm not mistaken.

I will probably put some locking tuners on, install some EMGs, change the hardware to black, straplocks, and call it a day. I have an older LTD, and while it is nice, I absolutely hate the crappy Floyd. It has since been blocked, and still gives problems. I also had to get a fret dressing done on the guitar, it plays ok, just won't stay in tune lol.

I'm not ragging on all LTDs, I'm sure the higher end 1000 series are nice, I'd like an MH1000 some time. I think I'm just an Ibanez guy. I love the feel, playability, speed, and sound. For shredder guitars that is...Everything else, my Les Paul reigns supreme for me.

-Joe

• Members

Originally posted by dreamspace

Charvel Model 4(Neckthrough soloist)

The Model 4 is a bolt-on. The Model 6 is the neck through version of the Model 4. The Model 5 is neck through as well, but is H-H, not H-S-S, and does not have the separate toggles for each pickup.

• Members

Yeah... I got this Squire Showmaster for $229.00 used at a store here in Nashville.

It's amazing! I don't know if they were all like this one, or if this one was special... but it's an amazing guitar! 24 frets. Sculpted heel. Full on floyd. REALLY low action, thin neck (but not too thin). Perfect setup... no fret-outs. Only thing I feel compelled to do to it is change the pups. It plays as good as a Jackson PC-1 I played recently... if not better.

My daughter didn't like it at first (you can't tell... but she is looking at me like I am crazy for having a yellow guitar)... but now she likes it.... as long as I don't dive bomb too much. ;)

showmaster.jpg

Archived