Cliche synth sounds you hope to never hear again

ElectricPuppy

• Members

I think the title says it all, don't you? What synthy sounds could you live the rest of your life without ever hearing again?

Sounds I could live without ever hearing again:

- DX7 E-pianos

- That Hoover thing drenched in delay and reverb. Ugh.

- Jump

PS. Auto-Tune is just assumed, so no points for you for mentioning it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll second the DX EP. In fact, that's probably the only one I can think of. Most other synth cliches are why I like them in the first place.

I can feel someone mentioning the 303 coming on. (Acid senses tingling.) I'll preemptively say I heartily disagree! So there!

• Members

Cheesy, thin highpass sounds used in modern hipless-hop and crap-rap. Like no one can use a fat LPF synth sound anymore?

Sine-wave portamento rap "whistles". Way overused. There are more interesting waveforms on synths people!

Autotune (well, not a synth sound per se, but it needs to DIE a horrible death)

FM EP sounds are (were) overused, but when I hear them I always think "Cool, a DX7!", so I don't mind those. Plus I'm somewhat guilty of using them in my own tracks.

• Members

DX7 EP

supersaw leads on dutch hymn trance

autotune done to ecxtreme to help {censored}ty singers. i dont mind it if its an aesthetic choice, if it fits the production perfect. for example, some chill/lounge songs with slow vocals.-.. there it actually sound in the right setting. wouldnt be it wihtout it. but everywhere else... mtv, pop, crank, RnB.. etc... it makes me puke.

• Members

All VA sounds - they bore me to tears, not enough analouge sound and not enough unique character, in one word - tripe. VA is the curse of the decade ;). Also synth leads inspired by guitars with fuzz/distortion - I simply can't stand guitaresque synth leads and riffs.

• Members

I am NEVER, ever going to stop using DX ep, bass or bell sounds. I will "do" StaccatoHeaven until it's done to death, dig it up and do it again for another 10 years til its great grandkids beg me to stop, and OBXa / JX8P brass stabs give me the horn :) I love my clich

• Members

Early Rompler Brass/Strings, unless it's playing the Ocarina of Time Soundtrack (lol)

That sampled Power Chord from the early 90s

That Roland Scat be-boo-dop thing

That ridiculous D-Beam solo synth on the new Junos

most other sounds i like, even really annoying ones :)

Archived