Best Amp for Black Metal???

malus

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hahahhahaa! I bet you ain't shot {censored}!!!!

I played in many bm bands. TBH, the dual rec never cut it for me.

For the really Immortal, newer style of black metal, you wanna check these out:

Engl Powerball: Powerful, precise and can sound like a mean mothafokka!

Peavey 5150: Great addition to the ENGL. If one guitarist has a pb, the other has a 5150 = {censored}ING SONS OF NORTHERN DARRRRRRKNAAAAAASSSS.

JCM900 SLX - I could NAIL the tone on Burzum "Filosofem" on that one. Was also good for getting damn close to Emperor style tones (the good albums). We used to cover Ye Entrancemperium and Reverence and this amp was top notch for doing it. Add an EQ and you can get the newer style Mayhem sound (Grand Declaration, etc)

Marshall VS100 - suprisingly enough, if you're after Darkthrone, Bathory, all that old raw {censored}. Even early Morbid.

Jon

• Members

Originally posted by satannica

Peavey 5150: Great addition to the ENGL. If one guitarist has a pb, the other has a 5150 = {censored}ING SONS OF NORTHERN DARRRRRRKNAAAAAASSSS.

JCM900 SLX - I could NAIL the tone on Burzum "Filosofem" on that one. Was also good for getting damn close to Emperor style tones (the good albums). We used to cover Ye Entrancemperium and Reverence and this amp was top notch for doing it. Add an EQ and you can get the newer style Mayhem sound (Grand Declaration, etc)

Marshall VS100 - suprisingly enough, if you're after Darkthrone, Bathory, all that old raw {censored}. Even early Morbid.

Jon

The Sansamp PSA-1 will also get you in the Immortal territory. I can`t understand why people steer away from using it with a tube power amp. I played mine through a Marshall 9100 for years, and it was crushing.

• Members

Originally posted by satannica

Jon

Marduk use mesa/boogies! and you can't deny that they have an awesome tone! just listen to "Hearse" :evil:

• Members

Anything reasonably decent works.. Just depends on what sound you're shooting for.

Marshall 8100. Guitarists for a black/thrash/death metal band I was in used these and they worked great. One of my friends also uses one for his black metal band and it sounds great as well. This'll give you that 90's cutting death metal sound and will get the older 80's sounds no problem. They're really cheap too.

JCM800's / JCM900's with a boost will give you that more classic sound that the thrash / speed metal bands used.

Peavey 5150 / 5150II / Triple XXX / Ultra Plus / JSX all would work fine for black metal. Sort a fusion of the older sounds and the newer ones.

Any of the Mesa Rectifiers would work as well as a Mark III / IV. Rectifiers for a modern / heavy sound, Mark's for more of a cutting / Marshall sound.

Or you could just get something clean and run a booster and distortion pedal into it, should sound great. I saw Inquisition a while back and they were running a booster and a distortion pedal into a two channel JCM900 running clean and it sounded ridiculously heavy.

• Members

This begs the question: What is "Black Metal"?

It seems there are so many metals today...there's:

Death Metal

Heavy Metal

Goth Metal

Hardcore Metal or Metalcore

Black Metal

Metal (Just plain - I kind of like this stuff I think Judas Priest fits here)

Christian Metal

Speed Metal

Thrash metal

And many more that I know I am forgetting.

All I have to say is: WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF?.........

IT'S ALL METAL! THAT OR A BUNCH A WANNABE'S TRYING CALL THEIR MUSIC SOME SORT OF METAL JUST TO BE COOL!

• Members

Originally posted by sw_gestalt

Don't be silly. Metal is a diverse genre: Dragonforce and Worship sound very, very different.

Rock uses similarly specific classifications (prog-, post-, heavy-, pop-rock etc), as does classical, as does jazz.

If it is so different then it's not metal - it's something else.

• Members

Originally posted by LavaMan

This begs the question: What is "Black Metal"?

It seems there are so many metals today...there's:

Death Metal

Heavy Metal

Goth Metal

Hardcore Metal or Metalcore

Black Metal

Metal (Just plain - I kind of like this stuff I think Judas Priest fits here)

Christian Metal

Speed Metal

Thrash metal

And many more that I know I am forgetting.

All I have to say is: WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF?.........

IT'S ALL METAL! THAT OR A BUNCH A WANNABE'S TRYING CALL THEIR MUSIC SOME SORT OF METAL JUST TO BE COOL!

black metal is the one that sounds like it was recorded on an answering machine in the middle of the woods...

• Members

If it is so different then it's not metal - it's something else.

The reason for the sub-genres is for people to get a better handle on exactly what the band sounds like... If there was just one overall genre I could say "Check out this awesome metal band!" and they might sound like Iron Maiden, they might sound like Cannibal Corpse, they might sound like Killswitch Engage, or they might sound like Rhapsody.

Additionally, many people only listen to one style of metal or hate other styles of metal.

Death Metal - Growling / guttural vocals + heavy riffs + speedy drumming. Lots of aggression. More recently utilizes low tunings. Pain / death / killing / anti-religion themes.

Heavy Metal - "traditional metal" - Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc.

Gothic Metal - Generally, classical music + metal, probably has singing and can optionally have growling vocals. Usually epic sounding, sometimes not so much.

Hardcore Metal or Metalcore - Combining heavy metal with hardcore. Breakdowns, utilizes the "shouting" voice. More recently metalcore bands have been copying stuff from the swedish metal bands.

Black Metal - Atmospheric / dark sounding music, can be aggressive or slower depending on what era the band is trying to emulate. Music isn't usually tuned down that much. Vocals are typically screaming or very obscure. Anti-religion, pagan, or obscure themes.

Metal (Just plain - I kind of like this stuff I think Judas Priest fits here) - See Heavy Metal.

Christian Metal - Easy. Music for christians by christians. 95% of bands labeled Christian metal are {censored} so you want to avoid them.

Speed Metal - Traditional metal but jumped up a notch in the speed department, typically not tuned down, usually very aggressive but still utilizing easily understandable vocals.

Thrash metal - Speed metal but faster and more aggressive. Lyrics aren't usually that positive. Very riff / aggressive drum pattern oriented. Vocals can be singing, shouting, or more of a throaty half growl.

• Members

Originally posted by Inearthed

The reason for the sub-genres is for people to get a better handle on exactly what the band sounds like... If there was just one overall genre I could say "Check out this awesome metal band!" and they might sound like Iron Maiden, they might sound like Cannibal Corpse, they might sound like Killswitch Engage, or they might sound like Rhapsody.

Additionally, many people only listen to one style of metal or hate other styles of metal.

Death Metal - Growling / guttural vocals + heavy riffs + speedy drumming. Lots of aggression. More recently utilizes low tunings. Pain / death / killing / anti-religion themes.

Heavy Metal - "traditional metal" - Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc.

Gothic Metal - Generally, classical music + metal, probably has singing and can optionally have growling vocals. Usually epic sounding, sometimes not so much.

Hardcore Metal or Metalcore - Combining heavy metal with hardcore. Breakdowns, utilizes the "shouting" voice. More recently metalcore bands have been copying stuff from the swedish metal bands.

Black Metal - Atmospheric / dark sounding music, can be aggressive or slower depending on what era the band is trying to emulate. Music isn't usually tuned down that much. Vocals are typically screaming or very obscure. Anti-religion, pagan, or obscure themes.

Metal (Just plain - I kind of like this stuff I think Judas Priest fits here) - See Heavy Metal.

Christian Metal - Easy. Music for christians by christians. 95% of bands labeled Christian metal are {censored} so you want to avoid them.

Speed Metal - Traditional metal but jumped up a notch in the speed department, typically not tuned down, usually very aggressive but still utilizing easily understandable vocals.

Thrash metal - Speed metal but faster and more aggressive. Lyrics aren't usually that positive. Very riff / aggressive drum pattern oriented. Vocals can be singing, shouting, or more of a throaty half growl.

Wow...thanks for the splanation....

• Members

Wow...thanks for the splanation....

I agree with you to a certain extent though, I don't like the whole genre naming with like 40 subgenres or whatever, but sometimes it is just a necessary thing to cut right to the chase.

• Members

I agree with you to a certain extent though, I don't like the whole genre naming with like 40 subgenres or whatever, but sometimes it is just a necessary thing to cut right to the chase.

Heavy Metal was first though right? Which band is credited as the first "Heavy Metal" band? The one that started it all...

• Members

Heavy Metal was first though right? Which band is credited as the first "Heavy Metal" band? The one that started it all...

Deep Purple. The term Heavy metal was coined for the first time from the description of a Deep Purple concert.

• Members

Originally posted by Zachman

Deep Purple. The term Heavy metal was coined for the first time from the description of a Deep Purple concert.

Cool...I did not know that and I love deep purple - ritchie blackmore is one of the God's....

• Members

Cool...I did not know that and I love deep purple - ritchie blackmore is one of the God's....

Oh ya, I like Deep Purple and Rainbow. Ritchie Blackmore had great tone and his own sound and he played LOUD through Marshall Majors. HEAVY METAL!!!!:evil:

• Members

I've attended the Inferno festival now for 3 years and the amp that stood out in the crowd was the 5150 and Marshall DSL2000's. A few band brought Dual Rectos and they sounded decent. Best sounding amp I've heard was Immortal's rig, but I never got a good look at it. Abbath had some rack gear I believe.

• Members

I see it like this, you live at an address... when someone asks you where you live but theyre from a different country you could just say "im from England" but if they live in England then they may know some of the counties or even the towns so they know where your coming from when you say you live in West Sussex, or if their really down with it you could tell them what village your from and they may know all about it!

Music is no different, To someone who knows little about detail or is from a "different town" they may not know what your black metal or doom metal is about, but if you tell them what county your from i.e. Metal, then that may be enough for them to gain a basic understanding into what you like.

Sub genres are like addresses to certain ideas, they are catagories to save all the time explaning the difference, if the person your talking to already knows then you can merely talk to them by providing a reference point.

I hope you like my metaphor ;)

Archived