Best Amp for Black Metal???

malus

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by FallofEmpyrean

Is this thread a joke? I don't most black metal bands acknowledge the existence of such a trivial thing as "tone."

I love good, old school, lo-fi black metal, but guitar tone is not exactly what it's known for.

Lol, yeah i know, just interesting to see what people think!

• Members

Being in a black metal band myself, I can vouch that this whole 'crank the treble up to 11' thing isn't strictly true. Fine, for bedroom projects and bands who don't play live, you could probably get away with a Metal Zone plugged into a practice amp for recording purposes. However, as soon as you start gigging, to recreate the savage tones you can achieve at home/in the studio at modest volumes, you'll need to get some decent, high gain valve power behind you.

I can't speak for that many more underground bands, but of the more well-known outfits I do know that Gorgoroth use 5150s, Dissection USED to use Marshalls (800s/900s I think), Emperor used to run Digitech 2120s into some sort of Marshall, Enslaved tend to opt for Mesas or 5150s. Dimmu use ENGLs I believe (if you still consider them black metal!). Anything punchy and high gain will fit the bill. I'm currently using a Marshall 30th Anniversary head and that does the job for me.

• Members

Originally posted by Astynax

Being in a black metal band myself, I can vouch that this whole 'crank the treble up to 11' thing isn't strictly true. Fine, for bedroom projects and bands who don't play live, you could probably get away with a Metal Zone plugged into a practice amp for recording purposes. However, as soon as you start gigging, to recreate the savage tones you can achieve at home/in the studio at modest volumes, you'll need to get some decent, high gain valve power behind you.

I can't speak for that many more underground bands, but of the more well-known outfits I do know that Gorgoroth use 5150s, Dissection USED to use Marshalls (800s/900s I think), Emperor used to run Digitech 2120s into some sort of Marshall, Enslaved tend to opt for Mesas or 5150s. Dimmu use ENGLs I believe (if you still consider them black metal!). Anything punchy and high gain will fit the bill. I'm currently using a Marshall 30th Anniversary head and that does the job for me.

It's true, all black metal bands live do seem do have expensive (usually) high gain tube amps, even mayhem used mesa boogie rectifiers.

• Members

It depends, are you talking about lofi old school like Darkthrone? I honestly heard that Darkthrone uses Peavey Rages :D

Or are you talking about the more sophisticated stuff like mentioned above? Believe it or not folks there are tons of black metal bands with awesome tone!

• Members

Originally posted by LordOVchaoS

It depends, are you talking about lofi old school like Darkthrone? I honestly heard that Darkthrone uses Peavey Rages
:D

Or are you talking about the more sophisticated stuff like mentioned above? Believe it or not folks there are tons of black metal bands with awesome tone!

If I asked for people to talk about one particular style the same amps would keep coming up I guess... It's just a personal opinion, will also make a change to hear about cheaper amps rather than all your fucking bogner uberschalls and diezel herberts etc... Yeah I like a range of black metal, from darkthrone to carpathian forest, i think every black metal band has their own signiture tone really, even though they dont talk about it they all seem to have signiture sounds! Darkthrone use old Marshall amps, pre JCM 800, I think they use plexis or something slightly newer, check out the video for "too old too cold" their newest release and it has a shot of them in their practice room playing marshalls.

Infact Marshall seems to be the most used amp for black metal, usually JCM 900s as they came up in the early 90s.

Carpathian Forest have an awesome tone! listen to "One with the Earth" from theirt album Defending the Throne of Evil. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by malus

Darkthrone use old Marshall amps, pre JCM 800, I think they use plexis or something slightly newer, check out the video for "too old too cold" their newest release and it has a shot of them in their practice room playing marshalls.

I believe that is a Plexi. Hmmm... could've just been douchbaggery from this site about the Rage... or maybe they used it on some of their older CD's where they purposely sounded as bad as possible.

• Members

Originally posted by porph

is something i recorded with the powerball with the volume on about 0.8 or something silly in my room a year ago.

Nice clip, was starting to think the powerball wasn't that good, but theres a nice sound on that thing

• Members

I used to get a really good old school black metal sound out of my Spider II. I think it was on the Green Metal channel with the mid knob turned all the way to the left (it's not actually a mid eq knob, more of a contour on this channel).

• Members

Although BM is not my style, I've seen all those guys with 5150 or Recto heads on occasion. I say on occasion because the majority of bands are still underground and the guitarists do not have money to invest on their sound setups. They prefer to invest on buying a freaky guitar than a decent amp.

I,ve also seen this Cradle of Filth guy with VHT UL heads (This guy has money)!!! :D :D :D

• Members

It's true, all black metal bands live do seem do have expensive (usually) high gain tube amps, even mayhem used mesa boogie rectifiers.

yup, mayhem's rider specified a dual recto..

• Members

Originally posted by JohnRageOn

Although BM is not my style, I've seen all those guys with 5150 or Recto heads on occasion. I say on occasion because the majority of bands are still underground and the guitarists do not have money to invest on their sound setups. They prefer to invest on buying a freaky guitar than a decent amp.

I,ve also seen this Cradle of Filth guy with VHT UL heads (This guy has money)!!!

Yeah, although cradle use mainly mesa boogie dual rectifiers

• Members

Yeah, although cradle use mainly mesa boogie dual rectifiers

I ve read an interview of this guy, not the fat one, on the guitarist magazine one or two years ago, and he said that he used VHT Ultra Leads.

Although I don't think it is necessary for this kind of music. Their sound is very refined!!! BM needs to be evil and mean!!!

:D :D :D

• Members

Originally posted by JohnRageOn

I ve read an interview of this guy, not the fat one, on the guitarist magazine one or two years ago, and he said that he used VHT Ultra Leads.

Although I don't think it is necessary for this kind of music. Their sound is very refined!!! BM needs to be evil and mean!!!

Yeah, as much as people argue cradle isn't "true" black metal, they still have a pretty awesome guitar tone! and its possible they used VHTs, i mean if your on a major label you can pick and choose whatever gear you want to try for free so most pros have probably played through everything.

Archived