Protip: Lay off the sustain pedal

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Along the same lines as Carbon, I like to think of a good musical piece being a bit like a good novel. It should tell a story of sorts, and that requires DYNAMICS. A song that is played at the same volume level from beginning to end is boring. There needs to be conflict and resolution (on multiple levels), and one way to achieve this is through quiet passages deftly interwoven within the song.

Droolmaster perks up. Oh, we're so close to a 'what is music' thread.....crawls back under rock....

• Members

So this thread impiles that you should play the Genesis song "ABACAB" in Guitar Center....

I agree with EP's lay off the sustain pedal. The best solution is dedicated ADSR controls on the synth front panel like contained in OB-8, OB-Xa, Fantom X8, V-Synth, Microwave XT. Synths like the XP-50 that lack a dedicated ADSR might require inappropriate use of the sustain pedal. When it comes to playing the Rhodes, the sustain pedal technique is important and requires understanding that you need to release to get a second attact.

My favorite keyboard player deadly sin:

Thou shal not castrate the bass player with left hand bass notes that dwarf what a bass player can produce. If you have a bass player in the band, no left hand bass parts.

Mark

• Members

Aww dammit you stole my next tip! Along those lines, don't just play the chord root.

On the other hand, shouldn't this tip really depend completely on the style of music? As well as whether or not you're playing with a full band? A pianist/keyboardist playing rock-styled music by himself can get a lot out of playing just octaves, as well as playing the root in the left hand. However, definitely when you're with a full band (ie, a bassist), try to give the other instruments some room to breathe. Which, maybe that should be the name of the sin?

Thou shalt give other instruments room to breathe.

• Members

Playing solo on a two keyboard organ is totally different than a single keyboard stage piano. That instrument was designed to have chords played with the left hand. If you watch his hands,, he was not going real crazy with left hand chords where he held the whole chord. His fingers were walking alot. thal shalt not cut up the bass player lol. Imagine having to back this guy up with a full band. He is a monster for sure. Keys with a band are more of a rhythm/ percussion instrument. hell on solos I drop the left hand out completely... and just let the high end rip. That is what people are listening for.

• Members

Originally posted by
Me >

Left hand chords are for wimpsters...

I said I was LULZIN! :lol:

Of course it depends on the song and the setting.

...hell on solos I drop the left hand out completely...

Me too. But I don't have any choice, I suk at doing both at once! :cry::lol:

...Keys with a band are more of a rhythm/ percussion instrument...

I want some spotlight time! When I was gigging, I took a goodly number of leads. (looks around for E Puppy) I loved to call & answer the guitar player with my keytar. shhh!

Archived