Protip: Lay off the sustain pedal

• Members

Hey, Mister Beginning Keyboard Player. Yes, you. So now you've got that nifty new keyboard for Christmas and you're enjoying yourself by playing dark, brooding, monster chords on your reverb-soaked piano/pad patch, drowning yourself in a sonic tsunami by nailing the sustain pedal down and whipping all 64 voices into a constant frenzy...

Stop that. :mad: You're just making mud. Get your foot off that sustain pedal. It makes you sound like an amateur.

the-more-you-know.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, I'll bite. How about:

Try some structure.

While your AAAA drone opus or hot dance track may be fun to create, it may not have enough structural variety to keep your listeners interested.

ABAB is a good beginning, then you can throw a solo or a break in there: ABACAB

Even if it is a dance track or drone piece, alternate textures and rhythms - mix it up, keep em' guessing. It will keep your audience from getting fatigued or, even worse, bored.

I was listening to Underworld's "Second Toughest in the Infants" the other day and was amazed that, even though timbrally the songs are minimalistic, there's a nice pattern to the overall song structures that keeps things lively and engaging.

• Members

Try some structure

While your AAAA drone opus or hot dance track may be fun to create, it may not have enough structural variety to keep your listeners interested.

ABAB is a good beginning, then you can throw a solo or a break in there: ABACAB

Even if it
is
a dance track or drone piece, alternate textures and rhythms - mix it up, keep em' guessing. It will keep your audience from getting fatigued or, even worse, bored.

I like where this thread is going. :thu: Nice one, Carbon!

• Members

Along the same lines as Carbon, I like to think of a good musical piece being a bit like a good novel. It should tell a story of sorts, and that requires DYNAMICS. A song that is played at the same volume level from beginning to end is boring. There needs to be conflict and resolution (on multiple levels), and one way to achieve this is through quiet passages deftly interwoven within the song.

• Members

Playing "Jump," "Fur Elise" or "My Immortal" in a Guitar Center ... JUST ... DON'T ...

Only if the guitar players are also banned from playing "Stairway to Heaven..."

No "Stairway!?" Denied! :facepalm:

I assume The Final Countdown or Separate Ways is ok though... :D

7 Deadly synth sins... here's a couple that come to mind:

Using factory presets for synth sounds, especially on an analog or VA...

Using supersaw... in anything...

Using a portamento sine-wave "rap whistle" or thin portamento buzzy pulse wave with HPF... in anything...

• Members

thin portamento buzzy pulse wave with HPF... in anything...

I've been searching for a reasonably priced Yamaha CS10 exactly for this purpose. :cry: I'm sure you meant thin pulse wave in a rap context or something ;) I love the thin pulse with portamento for playing cute melodies. Can't say that about the 50% square wave.

• Members

Using a portamento sine-wave "rap whistle" or thin portamento buzzy pulse wave with HPF... in anything...

I take issue with this one. I love a good portamento(ed) simple waveform (in many genres) I prefer it to be more of a ghostly theremin Ghostbusters sort of sound, but it's good even in the rap context. Nice with a touch of vibrato at the end of a part too. :)

• Members

Thou shalt not make every rhythm "boom chick boom chick" or any numbing variation thereof:

boomtsa boomtsa boomtsa boomtsa

boom boom chick.... boom boom chick....

boom chip pop chip boom chip pop chip

THOU SHALT USE FILLS!!! There's more to life than even 2, 4, and 8s...

• Members

Thou shalt not make every rhythm "boom chick boom chick" or any numbing variation thereof:

boomtsa boomtsa boomtsa boomtsa

boom boom chick.... boom boom chick....

boom chip pop chip boom chip pop chip

THOU SHALT USE FILLS!!! There's more to life than even 2, 4, and 8s...

this isnt teh drum forum :o

its down teh hall to ur left. :idea:

• Members

this isnt teh drum forum
:o

its down teh hall to ur left.
:idea:

Haha, my bad. I assumed that us key/synth/samplers (including workstation) arr-tees-tess were at the top of the tree, and everything else -- guitars, drum, didgeridoo -- was a subset of ours.

• Members

If you fast forward through a good drone, it's ALWAYS different, even if it sounds like nothing much has changed. It has.

Try some structure

• Members

Thou shall play more than just octaves with thy lefted hand.

maybe for piano. But most big synth sounds where you play both octaves of the bass note on your left.... would sound like awful mud if you played a chord.

Archived