OT: Everyone needs to listen to more Smashing Pumpkins.

geek_usa

• Members
Originally posted by geek_usa

Les Paul? Corgan never played a Les Paul, save for the "Marked" days way back in 1986.
:thu:

you were probably thinking of another band.

no, it was Corgan. He had his shirt buttoned wrong and this god aweful shreik was coming out of his face. This was before he shaved his head and had the cabbage top look going. I am positive it was him. You don't forget a name like Smashing Pumpkins. Not 100% posiive it was a LesPaul, though. Whatever it was he chucked it across the stage and walked off with his "I'm a tough guy" pose. You know, where it looks like his shoulder blades are tied together, chest all stuck out. I laughed my ass off. Nothing funnier than a 100 lb nitwit throwing a temper tantrum on national TV. HEY! What a strange co-inky dink. Shrilly and thePumpkins re on the radio right now. Excuse me while I change the station...........;)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by batotman

Not Iha.

I'm talking about Corgan throwing the guitar on MTV. I couldn't find any reference to that happening.

It could have been a different awards show. I thought it ws MTV, but it could have been the Grammy's or another awards show. The show itsel was forgetable. Corgan's tantrum was not.

• Members
Originally posted by BerkleeBill

Billy plays Fender Strats exclusively.

Les Paul?
:confused:
Someone sound the BS alarm!

oh for christ sakes, your hero is a DICK. I don't need to invent stories to prove that. What motive would I have to make up that story? It wouldn't change your opinion of him would it? You'd still like them, right?

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

I'm no huge SP fan but the Who blows, Van Halen is cheese rock, and Zeppelin had a few brilliant tunes but also a lot of filler.

oh, go on. Pshaw, dude, pshaw. Don't be silly, you silly boy you. Ok, so you dont like legendary rock bands. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the bands I metioned will be remembered long after SP has been forgotten.

• Members

Originally posted by SkidMarx

seriously? Ummm, naw. The world would be better off if their tour bus drove off the Pacific Coast Highway. Ok, maybe that was a bit harsh, but I have tried and tried and tried to understand what in the hell people like about this band. Still don't get it.

I do have to give Shrilly Corgan credit for givng me quite a laugh, though. I remeber the first time I saw them. They were on MTV Music Video awards. Probably aroung 1998 or so(can't remeber exactly). Shrilly starts playing and almost immedietly you can see from the look on his face that he was not a happy camper. Don't know what his problem was. He got about 1 minute into the "song" and promptly took of his Les Paul and chucked it across the stage and walked off, leaving the band standing their looking like idiots. I laughed my ass off! The guy is an idiot and his music sucks. Flame away.

Holy crap! I completely agree with you. I hate his {censored}ing annoying shrill voice. The only smashing pumpkins i want to hear is when Gallagher smashes one with a big hammer.

• Members

hey SkidMarx, aren't you the guy that was totally pwned on another thread about mesa/boogies or something, something that you said all mesa boogies sucked and all marshalls ruled... and then you totally turned your opinion around and acted like a hypocrite - i know i remember something like this now. your highly stuck up attitude reminded me of that thread...i'm not on AMPS very much but yes this definitely stuck out.

excuse me for not appreciating your opinion, obviously you are the pro at everything!

• Members

Mashing Stumpkins was a good band. Billy Corgan could certainly write good songs and a lot of them were catchy. However, the constant style changing to suit the musical trend annoyed me, and his glass shattering whiny voice is enough to stab my balls with a fork.

• Members

yeah, i thought there were more pumpkins fans in this forum. maybe i was thinking of another one like GJ or something. regardless what people say, the pumpkins will always be close to my heart - they're the band that got me to start playing guitar.

I think most classic rock bands are overrated anyways. :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by highgainlover

Mashing Stumpkins was a good band. Billy Corgan could certainly write good songs and a lot of them were catchy. However, the constant style changing to suit the musical trend annoyed me, and his glass shattering whiny voice is enough to stab my balls with a fork.

I honestly don't get how his voice can be "so incredibly annoying i'd kill myself" or "glass shatters". I think especially on this board people like to make the almost unbelieveable unrealistic overassumption that his voice is THAT bad. There's nothing ear piercing about it. Annoying? To some people. If I was stuck up I would say nothing ear piercing or annoying, but I realize that some people have opinions and think that his voice is annoying. But some of you are incredibly stuck up about your opinions (skidmarx, daneyo, cloudnine) and it doesn't get you anywhere. Someone said earlier that his voice isn't for everyone, I agree.

I think he's a great singer with so much potential. This whole thread was for people to give the Pumpkins another chance, and all of a sudden we get flames. I think it's because everyone knows they're talented but refuses to admit it. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by geek_usa

I honestly don't get how his voice can be "so incredibly annoying i'd kill myself" or "glass shatters". I think especially on this board people like to make the almost unbelieveable unrealistic overassumption that his voice is THAT bad. There's nothing ear piercing about it. Annoying? To some people. If I was stuck up I would say nothing ear piercing or annoying, but I realize that some people have opinions and think that his voice is annoying. But some of you are incredibly stuck up about your opinions (skidmarx, daneyo) and it doesn't get you anywhere. Someone said earlier that his voice isn't for everyone, I agree.

I think he's a great singer with so much potential. This whole thread was for people to give the Pumpkins another chance, and all of a sudden we get flames. I think it's because everyone knows they're talented but refuses to admit it.
:thu:

They werent the worst but they were not near the best either of the 90's darker pop/rock. I tried to listen and like them but the harsh scrilly vocals ruined it for me. And man they dropped like a hot potatoe when the new millenium hit. And i rarely hear any radio play as well. It seems as though many are forgetting about them. And Ive never thought of Billys playing or tone early or late as being as highly noted as some of you beleive. But hey if you like them Bravo.

• Members

Originally posted by mangojeep66

Nah, he thinks Kurt Cobain was a good guitarist.

poor misguided youth.

half the reason why i never gave nirvana a fair chance was because of this board. A few months back I was tired of fighting with everybody about how great the pumpkins were, so i just joined them and said no they were not that great.

but once i got into my own vibe again, started hanging out with the people i ENJOY (i.e. not you forum {censored}s), i have spawned so much more creative potential and realize why i love the pumpkins like I do.

Nirvana was a great {censored}ing band too - and cobain was not that bad at all. One HELL of a songwriter.

• Members

Originally posted by V-Type

They werent the worst but they were not near the best either of the 90's darker pop/rock. I tried to listen and like them but the harsh scrilly vocals ruined it for me. And man they dropped like a hot potatoe when the new millenium hit. And i rarely hear any radio play as well. It seems as though many are forgetting about them. And Ive never thought of Billys playing or tone early or late as being as highly noted as some of you beleive. But hey if you like them Bravo.

who was the best then?

• Members
Originally posted by cloudnine

Pretty much every classic rock band is better than the SP, though.
:confused:

Classic Rock = BORING :bor:

I'll be playing classic rock in a band here pretty soon, but i probably will not enjoy it.

Archived