OT: Everyone needs to listen to more Smashing Pumpkins.

geek_usa

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by geek_usa

I think it'd be nice if more people around here liked bands from the 90s. Everyone else is so stuck in the 70s and 80s though. It's rather bizzarre.
:confused:

I dont know what it is, but the bands from the 90's just seem to be boring and less talented than the bands from the 70s and 80s. That is just my opinion of course:)

• Members

I think it'd be nice if more people around here liked bands from the 90s. Everyone else is so stuck in the 70s and 80s though. It's rather bizzarre.
:confused:

What? Start an AIC thread or a Foo Fighter thread or Soundgarden thread and if your talking 90's put Dream Theater in their as well. Lots of 90's talk here all the time. Just not much SP talk.

• Members

Originally posted by GnR102385

I dont know what it is, but the bands from the 90's just seem to be boring and less talented than the bands from the 70s and 80s. That is just my opinion of course:)

+.5

I'm a classic rock guy. The reason Corgan is any good is 'cause his roots go back to old school.

NewRock (not prog)=barre chord, barre chord, barre chord, barre chord, barre chord, barre chord, barre chord, barre chord,

...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,

chunk, chunk, chunk, chunk, chunk,

"...how come girls don't like me! I hate myself!"

• Members
Originally posted by GnR102385

Definitely no melodic death metal! haha! :D

• Members

Good God where to start here! Smashing Pumkins is a great band. Siamese Dream is one of the greatest guitar albums of all time! It is in my top 3 favorite of all time of any albums. To compare them to Van Halen is crazy! Van Halen is a party band with NO DEPTH WHAT SO EVER! Ok Right now had depth but what ever. Yea Eddie can out play Billy but who cares. Billy writes better songs. Geek I was with you till you mention classic rock being boring. I use to think so to but now that Im older I hear where Billy got all his ideas from in Classic rock. SP were closer to classic rock then you might realize. Oh and Bush the band sucks even worse then Bush the presedent.

• Members

Originally posted by PurpleStrat

Good God where to start here! Smashing Pumkins is a great band. Siamese Dream is one of the greatest guitar albums of all time! It is in my top 3 favorite of all time of any albums. To compare them to Van Halen is crazy! Van Halen is a party band with NO DEPTH WHAT SO EVER! Ok Right now had depth but what ever. Yea Eddie can out play Billy but who cares. Billy writes better songs. Geek I was with you till you mention classic rock being boring. I use to think so to but now that Im older I hear where Billy got all his ideas from in Classic rock. SP were closer to classic rock then you might realize. Oh and Bush the band sucks even worse then Bush the presedent.

+1

that's what I said. You'll grow up and realize all your guitar heros were weened on the classic rock gods. When you realize this then you will have reached nirvana...pun intended.

• Members

Put the bong down. Even if VH was entirely a party band how do you explain the crazy talent it took to make those guitar parts up. And Please writes better songs says Who? The numbers lie very heavily in favor of VH for a Reason. So you guys like SP so what. To dis obviously larger and rightfully so groups is lame at best. IF SP was that good then there would be so much non love would there? Once again great that some of you ladies like Nirvana and SP and any other one I missed. But comparing to other era's groups isnt really a good argument at all.

• Members

To compare them to Van Halen is crazy! Van Halen is a party band with NO DEPTH WHAT SO EVER! Ok Right now had depth but what ever. Yea Eddie can out play Billy but who cares. Billy writes better songs.

Doesnt it take just as much talent to write a song that everyone likes?

Plus, some of us would rather listen to upbeat party rock than some angsty whiny bull{censored}, myself included. :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by cloudnine

Doesnt it take just as much talent to write a song that everyone likes?

Plus, some of us would rather listen to upbeat party rock than some angsty whiny bull{censored}, myself included.
:wave:

I prefer lyrical content with depth. I can relate a lot more to angst than I can happy go lucky bull{censored}.

But VH is an entirely different realm.

Anybody ever read that article where Billy Corgan interviewed EVH? It was an excellent article. Corgan can play Eruption. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by telephant

Anybody ever read that article where Billy Corgan interviewed EVH? It was an excellent article. Corgan can play Eruption.
:thu:

Yeah, I saw it. Interesting that he is his supposed biggest influence. His questions werent particularly great either.

• Members

I think this thread has calmed down a little bit.

I think it's the last time i will ever share an opinion about a band on this board however. It's just too emotionally traumatizing for me. I don't know why but I've been rubbed raw like this in the past and well {censored} it i don't care.

if people would form nicer opinions i think it'd be better but of course everyone is self centered.

• Members

I think this thread has calmed down a little bit.

I think it's the last time i will ever share an opinion about a band on this board however. It's just too emotionally traumatizing for me. I don't know why but I've been rubbed raw like this in the past and well {censored} it i don't care.

if people would form nicer opinions i think it'd be better but of course everyone is self centered.

you should never underestimate the propensity of internet people to drag your heroes through the dirt, whoever your heroes may be. :thu:

Archived