i always think its hilarious when synth guys

Stella Joop

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I say nay to all those well composed bastards who let their training and talent express themselves. If you don't make a stink face when you solo, then it ain't a solo. If you don't flex your body like you're bench pressing 300 pounds and furrow your brow like a brain surgeon when you turn that cutoff knob, they your filter ain't going to work!!!

And when you play Rachmannen...Rakmanino...Rachmeinen...{censored}.. when you play Mozart you better have wild and crazy hair shake!!!

:p

Haha, word. I made faces on stage maxxing out my crazy bass lines. BASS SOLO EVERY OTHER SONG!! :rawk:

Even tweaking the filter making new sounds or woodshedding a tricky phrase, I sometimes catch myself noticing my tongue squirming in my mouth, and have to mentally separate that part of me that tries to communicate vocally with that part of me that is expressing musically. Hell, maybe I can't. I think my signals are crossed :freak:

Sometimes the situation calls for cheese (or comic relief)...:thu:

• Members
agreed - what is the point of emulating the sound of a paradigm that died 30+ years ago as it concerns timbral evolution?
;)

the answer, of course, is when the song in question calls for it.
:idea:

that said, I'd prefer to call up a screamy distorted patch, start shredding and think "damn does this modular portamento lead sound badass!"
:thu:

cheers,

Ian

Yes, what is the point of emulating a paradigm from the past... wait, some things were/are actually good from the past. I agree that sometimes a song or situation calls for a particular sound or emotional moment. Some of us like angst, and think ol' geezer organ 880180101880101 sounds or oldschool self-indulgent square/saw/sine solos are blahzay, are, well, better left unsaid.... :facepalm:

(For the record, I'm not one of them. I don't mind gospelly jamming or inspired lead synth player solos. Anything musical, really, is ok, even polka somewhat. Just not hiphop... please no... it's not music, it's missing melody and harmony and (unspoken) lyrical meaning and the subtle appreciation of what we can call "trained art". Sure, it's got a good beat and catchy tribal chanting, but it's mostly vulgar, simplistic, and childlike with grown men voices. I'll take distorted synth-wannabe guitar anyday over that shiite. Anyways, I better stop now...)

• Members

An african explorer and his guide were traversing the deep jungle. Instead of the typical chirps and ruckus of animals, the sound of the jungle was drums. And they didn't stop.

"Why are there drums?" The guide replied "Very bad when drums stop"

All day. All night. Every day, the drums were constant. The weary explorer pleaded with his guide only to be answered "Very bad when drums stop"

After days of non-stop drums, the explorer was about to go stir crazy and couldn't take it any more when suddenly - the drums stopped. Even the jungle creatures were silenced.

In the uneasy tranquility, the explorer asked "What happens now?"

The guide answered "Very bad - now keytar solo"

• Members

I watched the whole thing. LMAO. I didn't know who he was. I've never heard that band. Do you think his band mates were backstage making fun of that solo? What's up with that giant drum set? Luckily we weren't hearing that at the same time!

I only got 18 seconds in to a 52 second video.

This, specifically, is why Dream Theater is complete and utter {censored}.

• Members

Only time I use distorted guitar patches is when I'm 'filling' the space left from the guitar player taking a solo....ie: Walk like an Egyptian and Beat It......

I typically use distorted (emulated, VK-8) Hammond B3 for that role... I tried doing a synth patch through a Line 6 before, and wasn't really satisfied with the results even in that "just for fill". Unfortunately, a *lot* of the distorted guitar sound (the *good* ones that is) comes from saturated tube amps and hard-driven speakers, and that's impossible to emulate in a PCM patch, or even PODs.

I've actually wondered at times whether that distorted B3 tone from the VK-8 would be improved if I pushed it through a nice tube amp. (Like say that Orange Tiny Terror.) Possibly. Synths aren't guitars though, this would be something I'd have to try before thinking it's a good idea...

• Members

I want to make sure I have this strait:

plucked strings on a guitar run thru distortion, echo/delay, reverb and EQ screaming on bendy lead solos and chords is okay

played notes of waves run thru distortion, echo/delay, reverb and EQ screaming on bendy lead solos and chords is not okay?

• Members

plucked strings on a guitar run thru distortion, echo/delay, reverb and EQ screaming on bendy lead solos and chords is okay

played notes of waves run thru distortion, echo/delay, reverb and EQ screaming on bendy lead solos and chords is not okay?

correct

and my piano has a whammy bar

• Members
pull up a screamy distorted patch, start shredding and think it "sounds like an electric guitar!"

:facepalm:

leads are bad enough, but aped "chugga chugga" heavy metal rhythm parts played on a keyboard are a guaranteed one-way trip to eternal damnation. the bad kind.

• Members

youve got it.

• Members
hahaha. another tasteless wanker. do they defend him over in the guitar forum?

No. The forum splits in two like the Jets and the Sharks at the prom and a dance off...erm..a flame war starts.

The trifecta would of course be a youtube link to a Metallica solo played with a Carvin carved top through a Line 6 Pod XT. Heads will 'splode hard. :lol:

By the way, my vote for an example of when distorted guitar and distorted synth mesh well is Ultravox's Systems of Romance. Really, any of the John Foxx era albums did a pretty good job of it but the way the band layered distorted guitar, violin and synth so that you weren't quite sure where one ended and the other started was just a rootin' tootin' beaut.

Of course, it could have been better with a wah mixed in there. :evil::evil::evil:

Archived