A battle of 2x12 cabs and a nice tale!

LordRiffenstein

• Members

I have been playing my Engl 2x12 for about a year now and really loving it. It is more usefull for me then a 4x12 and I really do not need all that low end so I sold my Engl 4x12 late last year. My plan was to get 2 Engl 2x12s so I could use both for the bigger gigs. Last week, a good friend Domenico and me went to VD Haar in the Netherlands to test some amps and while we were there we also played a THD 2x12 cab. It seriously surprised us, sounded great and the projection is just amazing. Last Wednesday, some guy had put up a for sale add selling an older THD cab and I had mentioned this to Domenico. After testing the one on Saturday, he decided to get that 2ndhand one. It also created some GAS for me and on Tuesday I contacted VD Haar about the one we tried on Saturday. As it turned out, the THD cab at VD Haar had sold by Wednesday so I was out of luck and was now also looking at the other options (CAE, get another Engl or THD or...).

On Thursday, Domenico and myself went to check out the 2ndhand THD cab, it was in nearly mint state, older version loaded with the THD-treated Celestion Classic Lead 80s and it sounded really good with my Engl. So after some more haggling, Domenico bought the cab and we went to my place. More cab testing happened and Domenico told me that I could have the THD cab if I wanted it. :eek: He said he did not need another cab in his apartement and that I could really use it well for live playing. :eek: Obviously, I had to take up this generous offer so I am now the lucky owner of a nice THD 2x12. :cool: I own him BIG TIME!

Last Wednesday, while discussing 2x12s, another friend of mine offered me his Bogner 2x12 on loan for the weekend and I picked it up before rehearsal. The Bogner sounded really good, needs to be played in more BUT the cab is just great. So by Thursday afternoon, I had 3 different 2x12s in the house and it was time for a good comparison.

Cabs.jpg

Yesterday, I quickly made 3 clips with the cabs. I tried to position the mic the same for all 3 cabs. This is not the way to get the best from 3 different cabs but for the sake of comparing it is the best way. So the 3 cabs are the Engl loaded with V30s, THD with the CL80s and the new Bogner with V30s that need some more playing time. I just recorded some random wank, Haar Stratocaster on the bridge humbucker, Engl Savage120 lead channel. Used a SM57 to record.

So tell me which cab you prefer (see Poll) and if you are very brave, which cab is which:

http://www.lordriffenstein.com/sound/Cab1.mp3

http://www.lordriffenstein.com/sound/Cab2.mp3

http://www.lordriffenstein.com/sound/Cab3.mp3

• Members

Standalone I would prefer the Bogner. It is oversized (more balls), rearloaded (me thinks) and looks the best.

When I had to run a combination, I would add the (frontloaded?) Engl cab then.

At least thats what I'm doing with my FL/RL 2x2x12 Diezels.

The THD cries for a different amp than your stuff, Yoeri. Some kind of Bassman/Marshall :D

(you know that I cannot listen to clips here - unfortunately)

• Members

Originally posted by Duesentrieb

Standalone I would prefer the Bogner. It is oversized (more balls), rearloaded (me thinks) and looks the best.

When I had to run a combination, I would add the (frontloaded?) Engl cab then.

At least thats what I'm doing with my FL/RL 2x2x12 Diezels.

The THD cries for a different amp than your stuff, Yoeri. Some kind of Bassman/Marshall
:D

(you know that I cannot listen to clips here - unfortunately)

THD is also rearloaded and yes the Bogner probably has more lowend going. The THD Plexi that was part of the set is also still for sale but the guy is asking a bit to much for it imho. :-)

• Members

i think #1 sucked. treble was too fizzy, thin-sounding tone.

#2 was better, actually had some bottom to the sound, fuller, but still kinda fizzy in the treble.

#3 had the middle-ground of the bottom end and balls, but easily my favorite in the treble/fizz department.

tie between #2 and #3. but since i haven't played any of the 2x12s, no idea which is which.

• Members

I looooooove my THD 2x12 (also has the treated CL80s), but it works best with Marshall sounding amps - the high end seems muted, and the high mids stand out a lot. Which sound fabulous with a Marshall (or a THD or a Splawn), but not so much with, say, an Engl or Framus.

I'm getting my first all-V30 cab in a week and a half or so (I have an Uber with the V30/GT75 x pattern), so I am curious to hear what clip is what.

• Members

I agree. I like the cabs in the exact opposite order as you posted them...

Now to me the 2 and 3 both sound much better than 1. And kinda more similair. So i would guess that they both have V30's. (Mind you i am pulling this one right out of my ass as i dont have nearly enough experience:D :p ) So i am guessing that #1 is THD. The other two - no idea whatsoever:freak:

Fun topic mate:thu:

• Members

I preferred #2, closely followed by #3. #1 was a distant 3rd. If I had to guess, I'd say #2 and #3 were the V30 cabs (as they seemed to have a similar tonality) with the Bogner probably being #3 (not quite broken-in). By process of elimination, the THD would be #1. It lacked any bottom-end in the clip and was really quite thin-sounding. I'm getting the feeling that if you moved the mic around on #1 you could get a much better sound. Also, as said previously, not sure if the ENGL/THD pairing is ideal.

EDIT: Now watch #2 turn out to be the THD! :D

• Members

I liked 1 best, 3 next then 2. Not sure which cab is which but thats the order that my ears prefer them.

Put them together in combination Yoeri and see how they mix together. They sound different enough that they could give some pretty cool tones together.....

Archived