anyone catch that rock honors on VH1 last night?

fishfartz

• Members

Originally posted by Zakko

They'll probably be running it all week on reruns. I'll TiVo it then.

yeah man the queen band with paul rodgers sounds good (im sure you've heard some already) and they had dave grohl jamming with them and then playing some drums (while chad and queens drummers also had kits playing)

it was cool, seemed like they did want to give props to these guys instead of just get good ratings and water it down

• Members

Queen and the Foo Fighters were the only bands that sounded good. Priest was OK, but I don't like Halford's new vocal "style". Kiss was decent, but I've heard much better from them. Def Leppard sucked donkey. What's with the crappy new guitar tones? And is Phil Collen gay now?

T.R.

• Members

I saw some of it. Queen was decent. It took a few minutes to get used to Paul Rogers, but he sounded better than I expected.

Didn't get Halford at all. I don't think he even tried to sing in any kind of key. I don't think he even randomly accidentally sang a note in tune. They tried to bury him in the mix, but it didn't help much.

I thought Def Leppard was okay.

Saw Tommy Lee, Slash, Ace Feeley and others butcher some song. Not sure what it was.

Didn't see Kiss. Probably didn't miss much.

Seems like after Queen, it went downhill pretty rapidly.

• Members

I though Paul Rogers with Queen was good. Brian May had some pretty nice tone going on.

Godsmack were the worst, with the most expensive backline of amps (Herberts and Splawn). They did a terrible tribute to Priest, with no solo's.

Priest was pretty good I thought! Especially after coming on stage after Godsmack :freak:

The band that did the cover of photograph had a great Marshall crunch tone, and thought they did an OK job of the song.

In fact, when they did that cover of photograph they were singing the high notes better than Joe Eliott was when Leppard took the stage, you could tell Eliott was holding back on singing the high notes.

I caught the Rob Zombie "supergroup" song and then fell asleep so I missed KISS :o .

• Members

Originally posted by t-rock97

Queen and the Foo Fighters were the only bands that sounded good. Priest was OK, but I don't like Halford's new vocal "style". Kiss was decent, but I've heard much better from them. Def Leppard sucked donkey. What's with the crappy new guitar tones? And is Phil Collen gay now?

T.R.

thats cuz def leppard played stupid songs.. they shouldve played "bringing on the heartbreak" and "pour some sugar"

instead they played that stupid "gootin gleebin gloutin globin" song :freak:

• Members

Its funny how different people have different views of these things. I thought Queen would have sounded much better if the Foo Fighters had not been on stage with them jizzing all over their tunes. I thought it sounded ok, I would have just rather have heard them alone.

I thought Priest sounded pretty good. Maybe Halford had some trouble hitting the very high notes but I thought he did a very good job working around it. Thought Godsmack sounded pretty good on their Priest tribute.

I thought Def Leppard sounded pretty bad but then again I've never been a big fan of Joe Elliot. He REALLY struggled with the high notes. As for All American rejects, their vocals were horrible to me. I thought they were one of the worst bands I've ever heard. Well, maybe that's a bit harsh but I wasn't impressed.

I thought Ace and Slash's tribute band was a bit lackluster. Scott Ian played bass and kept jumping up and down like he was standing on hot coals.

Kiss sounded good to me. Paul hit all the high notes. If you're a fan you know how they sound live. I just don't like seeing them without Ace and Peter.

Overall it was very much worth the watch just to hear some awesome guitar tones. Pretty much all the guitar players sounded great, IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by diddlybo

Kiss sounded good to me. Paul hit all the high notes. If you're a fan you know how they sound live. I just don't like seeing them without Ace and Peter.

Overall it was very much worth the watch just to hear some awesome guitar tones. Pretty much all the guitar players sounded great, IMO.

I only saw the "super group" and Kiss. Negatives will be first

Super group: Rob zombie sucks, Ace Frehley can barely play anymore, rest of them were pretty good.

Kiss: someone was out of tune....the bass maybe..and the new "Ace" guy needs to use heavier strings...everytime he hit his low E (do-ying) it sounded like "Helter Skelter" out of tune.

Paul Stanley is doing a pretty good job for his age. They really want whole-hog with the pyro...that's what Kiss is all about, spectacle. I love them when I was a little kid. Gene Simmons is the biggest dick on planet Earth.

Who was the disgusting skank hosting? WHO IS SHE?

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

yeah man the queen band with paul rodgers sounds good (im sure you've heard some already) and they had dave grohl jamming with them and then playing some drums (while chad and queens drummers also had kits playing)

it was cool, seemed like they did want to give props to these guys instead of just get good ratings and water it down

It was good stuff for being w/out Freddie. :cool:

I wasn't overly impressed by the singer doing the Def covers, though it wasn't terrible, but it was altogether a pretty good show for a tribute that actually included the real bands.

• Members

Originally posted by Shiny_Surface

Godsmack's tribute to Priest last night was an embarrassment.

Priest deserved better IMO.

He didn't even try to play any solos, and the playing was kind of loose. And Sully's singing didn't fit those Priest songs at all.

IMO

Probably couldn't play any solos. :D But at least they did a meddly of some good songs. :cool:

• Members

I didn't catch all of the show but I thought it was decent. I was able to catch all of Def Leppard and Kiss.

The All American Rejects did a surprisingly decent job with Photograph. I totally though that they would bail on the solo. The backup singers did better then the lead singer. The lead singer should have practiced more or done a song within his range.

Def Leppard was pretty good. Last time I saw them, it seemed like they weren't into it at all. But last night, it looked like they were having fun. Joe's voice is nearly gone and can't hit the notes that he used to. Oh well, it happens.

The Supergroup weren't that great. I thought that it was a big {censored} you to Kiss that Ace played with that band and not with Kiss themselves! How {censored}ed up is that?!? Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley can go to hell.

Kiss.. eh, I was never a fan of them. Paul Stanley can't sing anymore either.

The hot piece of ass was Jaime Pressly

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

+1

Paul Rogers sounded amazing, what a voice and he looks great (the dude's 57). And Brian May owns,..what a player and his tone just slays. Oueen was the best band of the night with Judas Priest second, Def Leppard third and Kiss a distant forth (Paul's voice doesn't sound good anymore).

Foo's sounded great, God Smack did ok at best (not so good really), and the all star band of Slash, Tommy Lee, Rob Zombie, Scott Ian and Gilby Clark were ok too. But those dudes in the "All American Rejects" sounded horrible doing Photograph. BTW, who was playing Ace for Kiss during their performance? Bruce Kulick? It kinda looked like Joe Perry from Aerosmith,...anyone know?

Mesa Boogie, Marshall and Diezel were all represented on the stage.

• Members

Originally posted by Cibyl

BTW, who was playing Ace for Kiss during their performance? Bruce Kulick? It kinda looked like Joe Perry from Aerosmith,...anyone know?

Mesa Boogie, Marshall and Diezel were all represented on the stage.

Tommy Thayer. He's been doing it for a few years now.

• Members

I think it's cheesy that Kiss used a fake "ACe" too, but let's be honest people...put the cult of personality aside for a bit...that dude blows Ace off the stage at this point in time.

• Members

Originally posted by BIGD

I think it's cheesy that Kiss used a fake "ACe" too, but let's be honest people...put the cult of personality aside for a bit...that dude blows Ace off the stage at this point in time.

That might be true BUT Ace and Peter Chris helped MAKE that band. Going by what you say, they should have replaced Paul because he can't sing for {censored}.

• Members

Originally posted by Def_Pearl_Pilot

That might be true BUT Ace and Peter Chris helped MAKE that band. Going by what you say, they should have replaced Paul because he can't sing for {censored}.

The people being honored should have been the original lineup, and they should have played. Proves that Gene and Paul are {censored}sticks...nothing new to that.

I'm responding to people in this (or maybe another thread) who were saying the new Ace guy sucks...he blows Ace off that stage at this point...I would blow Ace off the stage at this point.

I didn't think that Paul was that bad, he just kept going above and beyond the melody too much to PROVE that he can still hit those notes.

Archived