Which 12Ax7 do you prefer?

bluesboy

• Members

JJ high gains or EH 12AX7? My application is for light drive with plenty of spank at power tube distortion levels, i.e. play light. pretty clean sound, hit 'em hard, smooth drive. Or do you guys recommend something other than what i mentioned? Thanks!

• Members

You need to supply a lot more info than what you provided such as amp type, style, guitar, pedals?, etc.

You are asking what color is a favorite ..... maybe black for some things but not on a steak or piece of chicken.

• Members

i play a univalve with a JJ Kt88. I play on the roll channel, cranked all the way up through a 2X12 with greenbacks. My guitar is a telecaster. I currenlty have JJ preamp high gain tube sin there, and i get the sound i described in my first post. I was specifically asking if EH 12AX7's would be better

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

i play a univalve with a JJ Kt88. I play on the roll channel, cranked all the way up through a 2X12 with greenbacks. My guitar is a telecaster. I currenlty have JJ preamp high gain tube sin there, and i get the sound i described in my first post. I was specifically asking if EH 12AX7's would be better

EHs would probably sound less gainy and brighter compaired to the JJs...JJs seem to be the gainiest sounding tube I've heard.

• Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

EHs would probably sound less gainy and brighter compaired to the JJs...JJs seem to be the gainiest sounding tube I've heard.

my finding is the opposite...I find the EHs to be gainier than the JJs

• Members

cool thanks for the info... i like a darker sound especially with a tele... i guess ill stick wiht the JJ's for now. Thanks!

• Members

12ax7's aren't too expensive...buy a few a run some tests and find out which you like.
;)

yeah that's true, but my local guitar store has very limited brands of tubes, which means i have to order online, which can be a pain int he butt.

• Members

yeah that's true, but my local guitar store has very limited brands of tubes, which means i have to order online, which can be a pain int he butt.

I'm lucky I guess...I live near thetubestore.com....I visit and leave there with an arm full....
I bought ten JJ 12ax7s and they all sounded different in my single valve Varidrive pedal. :freak:
Meaning the same brand won't all sound the same...they sounded very different really.

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

my finding is the opposite...I find the EHs to be gainier than the JJs

But are you comparing apples to apples ... ?????

Find one of each with the same current output and then test for gain.

• Members

JJ high gains or EH 12AX7? My application is for light drive with plenty of spank at power tube distortion levels, i.e. play light. pretty clean sound, hit 'em hard, smooth drive. Or do you guys recommend something other than what i mentioned? Thanks!

Neither. Depends on the amp but Im running mostly Raytheons,Mullards,RCA and GE's these days.

Archived