Why do Valvestate amps get so much shit?

Dr. T

• Members

The bassist in my band just got a Marshall Valvestate 2-12 amp today for dirt cheap - 300$ used. He plays a little guitar and wanted a decent amp and also so I won't have to lug my Traynor over to his house everytime we practice (the Traynor weighs a lot). I helped him pick out this amp, and I was very hesitant about it after hearing things about it on HC but I plugged in, and {censored}, it's a pretty good sounding amp! And really versatile too. It has a warm, punchy sound to it.

So why does everyone hate these amps so much? They're really not half bad.

• Members
Originally posted by Dr. T

The bassist in my band just got a Marshall Valvestate 2-12 amp today for dirt cheap - 300$ used. He plays a little guitar and wanted a decent amp and also so I won't have to lug my Traynor over to his house everytime we practice (the Traynor weighs a lot). I helped him pick out this amp, and I was very hesitant about it after hearing things about it on HC but I plugged in, and {censored}, it's a pretty good sounding amp! And really versatile too. It has a warm, punchy sound to it.

So why does everyone hate these amps so much? They're really not half bad.

Its mainly the tone,and a little bit the lack of reliability. Otherwise,they are fine. BTW,I certainly wouldn't call $300 for a Valvestate "dirt cheap"!

Archived