If Moog can reissue the Taurus.......

Sad Darwin

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can only imagine the new poly vs the MM debate that would follow given what transpired btn the Voyager and miniD - I for one would be eagerly sitting on the sidelines waiting to hear from those who purchased the new poly. While I have loved my miniD since '74 I never really wanted an MM when they came out. I liked the Oberheim sound and CS80 better.

• Members

I can only imagine the new poly vs the MM debate that would follow given what transpired btn the Voyager and miniD - I for one would be eagerly sitting on the sidelines waiting to hear from those who purchased the new poly.

If the Andromeda is any guide for Internet bitching patterns, the pattern is as follows.

When available: :mad:.

When a collector's item: :love:.

:lol:

• Members

Firstly, I think 5 voices is optimum, maybe with an option for expansion boards (like ye old Oberheims). Each voice should have 2 oscillators, like the Little Phatty. Also like the LP, there should be minimal multifunction knobs. The only real expansion should be a multimode filter with highpass.

I bet they could pull it off around $3k.

• Members

Ok, my first attempt to post this failed miserably, stupid forum crapping out :mad:

So I'll do the "super-brief" version this time.

Street price on Little Phatty is around $1200. Assuming the markup is (conservatively) 50%, that's $600 cost to build and ship a single LP, including case, keyboard, voice board, panels, switches, power supply, labor etc.

Let's say the LP voice board costs $200 to build. Put 8 of them together, that's $1000. Put them in a case w/keyboard, panel, switches, power supply etc. Based on my LP figures, let's say everything minus the voice boards costs $600 (a bit more than a LP sans voice board due to larger case/keyboard and a more powerful CPU/firmware to handle polysynth duties). So, that puts the raw cost of the PolyPhatty-8 at $1600. 50% markup = $3200, and Moog could probably mark that up more than that to avoid competing too much with the Voyager.

If the actual markup on the LP is higher, thus the cost to manufacture is lower, the break-even point on a PolyPhatty would be correspondingly lower too.

I'm sure my figures are way off, but it should give the idea that a "PolyPhatty" shouldn't cost too many arms and legs.

• Members

My $6000 guess was for a "PolyPhatty". I hope Moog proves me wrong and actually makes the darn thing and charges $3000.

...if they did, they'd probably want to put a static high pass filter or 3-band EQ at the end of the signal chain to tame some of its girth. That "beef" can be useful in a mono but not so much for a polysynth.

• Members

...if they did, they'd probably want to put a static high pass filter or 3-band EQ at the end of the signal chain to tame some of its girth. That "beef" can be useful in a mono but not so much for a polysynth.

I was just going to comment on this, but James has said it perfectly.

If I remember correctly, the knock on the Memorymoog was it was so powerful, it tended to overpower everything in a mix. People loved to stack the voices tho and it kicked butt.

So yes, I would also think they would have to tame it down for a poly synth and with something no more than 4-5 voices.

I still think the Memorymoog is in the Top 5 list of sexiest looking synthesizers ever made.

• Members

Moogue schmoogue. (pic of SEM snipped)

When you consider the SEM was originally designed to be an expansion module for Moog synths, if you really want to do it right, you'd hook that SEM up to your Moog for real fat analog fun! :D

Re: the comments on a Moog poly being "too" fat - this is why they don't need to cram 4-8 Voyagers into the box. 4-8 LPs would do just fine. Tweak the signal path some to reduce overdrive and whatever else makes the Phatty "phat", bringing it closer to Voyager smoothness, and that would make a dandy voice for a poly.

One other thought I had--back when the monster discrete-component polys were king, they were huge and expensive because of all the through-hole components. With today's SMD parts and boards, today's discrete-component synths are smaller and cheaper to build than they were back then. Just another point toward the possibility of an affordable Moog poly.

• Members

I had almost forgotten about the Omega 8, then I read this thread and thought to myself, "I wonder how that thing sounds." I promptly watched this video and now I will be unproductive all day, dreaming of delightful analog sounds.

WOW. Normally I don't GAS so much for analog synths because they always just sound "old" or have some dude tweakin knobs. THAT however is simply amazing and exemplifies what modern synths are missing. I've never heard ANY VA even touch that, or even many RA's (Youtube) for that matter. When I think analog THAT is the sound that's in my head!

God I wish I could afford it though...:poke:

• Members

I think we, as synth enthusiasts, have a
very
skewed vision of the actual market for synths in general, much less real analog ones.

Oh, so THIS. :thu:

Nearly every day of my retail life included a variation on this conversation:

Customer: I'm astounded that they don't make this box or add this feature to their products. What kind of idiots are they? Why wouldn't they listen to their customers?!

Me: You're pretty much the only one who cares. And you wouldn't buy it anyway.

The perfect example was the Roland AX-7. We had one on the floor for over a year and couldn't sell it. Then Roland discontinued it, we blew the floor model out at less than dealer cost, and the very next day, multiple people started screaming "What!? How could Roland discontinue the AX-7?! It's the only keytar available! I absolutely need one!"

Then, a few months later, it was reissued, presumably due to "customer demand". Well, we got another one in, and... it sat on the floor for months. The very same people who freaked out when it disappeared suddenly didn't care, and certainly weren't going to pay the $399 we charged for it. They just wanted it available in case they felt like buying one later.

And the AX-7 was discontinued again. This same stupid cycle repeated no less than two other times, and we decided to only get AX-7s in as a special order (and therefore, never sold another one).

I strongly suspect a $5000 8-voice Voyager would result in similar inanity. People want to play it at Guitar Center and swoon over its knobbage

• Members

^ That ^ is why they should do a short, finite run. Let people know "this is not forever". That's the equivalent of someone putting "discontinued product" up at musicians friend, letting them know that it's stock only and once it's gone it's gone.

Beyond that we're not talking about a no name designer. Moog is one of the most well known companies out there in synth land. Hip Hop guys know about Moog, Industrial guys know about Moog, IDM, Pop, everything.

:idk:

• Members

Well, you started this thread, sausagefoot. If Moog were to say: we're going to do it, but you need to buy one up front. Pay $5K right now, and in 18 months we'll send you one. Would you do it?

I'd find a way, especially in light of the Andy apparently in process to be discontinued.

If the Omega 8, a rackmount synth, is still being manufactured for 4500 bucks I fail to see where a Moog keyboard in a similar price range would fail. Cwazy ol' me.

• Members

If the Omega 8, a rackmount synth, is still being manufactured for 4500 bucks I fail to see where a Moog keyboard in a similar price range would fail. Cwazy ol' me.

Neither Moog nor Studio Electronics are large companies, but I can only assume Moog has a larger overhead (more people, more $$ spent on advertising, etc.). They have to sell considerably more units before it becomes profitable.

A tiny company could sell a couple hundred $5k synths and do very well. If Korg or Roland did that, they'd lose a ton of money.

• Members

I'd find a way, especially in light of the Andy apparently in process to be discontinued.

I really, really hope there you'll have a chance to put your money where your mouth is :cop:

Why not buy a Studio Electonics 8-voice Omega or Code then, to start with? It has a very good version of the Moog ladder filter (some say it's closer to a Minimoog Model D than a Voyager is), and it's available right now. Why don't you have one?

• Members

I really, really hope there you'll have a chance to put your money where your mouth is
:cop:

Why not buy a Studio Electonics 8-voice Omega or Code then, to start with? It has a very good version of the Moog ladder filter (some say it's closer to a Minimoog Model D than a Voyager is), and it's available right now. Why don't you have one?

I don't have any rackmount gear. I prefer keyboards.

• Members

I'd say you have a better chance at getting SE to make a 61-key Omega or Code. After all, they already have the synth. Why not pursue that instead? Their filter is arguably closer to the Model D ladder filter, than the Voyager's.

I know nothing of the Model D, I've never tried one. Vintage in whatever condition it has degenerated to isn't of any interest to me. I like the things that the new wave of "analog with digital perks" has brought to the table. I have tried Voyagers out and I love them. I've never tried anything from Studio Electronics, though I'd like to. Needless to say, in the "recession" we're in, not all music stores are carrying a wide breadth of gear.....

Oh, so THIS.
:thu:

Nearly every day of my retail life included a variation on this conversation:

Customer:
I'm
astounded
that they don't make this box or add this feature to their products. What kind of idiots are they? Why wouldn't they listen to their customers?!

Me:
You're pretty much the
only one
who cares. And you wouldn't buy it anyway.

Oh boy... :lol:

You REALLY know the retail world :D:thu:

Archived