Vox Pathfinder question...

Karma1

• Members

Sometimes I don't feel like dragging one of my larger amps up and down the stairs to go to a jam, so I just grab my little Vox Pathfinder 15.

It's a great little amp with excellent clean tones- especially with my Mesa Boogie V-Twin tube pre-amp in front of it. It comes with an 8 inch speaker that sounds pretty good for what it is, but I was wondering about putting a 10 inch speaker in it. Has anyone here done that or have any thoughts about the feasibility of that. Also, any other mods that anyone knows about for this amp?

• Members

im not sure how much room you have in there but if there is not enough you'll have to make a new "house" for the amp/speaker combo or go a simpler road and just wire the mains to a jack through which you can plug in other cabinets.

its pretty easy to just wire up an extension jack. you just run the main wires (that go to your stock speaker) to a mono 1/4 inch female jack. you will need a spot to mount the jack - i usually just cut a small 4nch by 3 inch square of wood out of thin plywood, drill a hole to mount the jack inside it, then mount that to the back of the amp somewhere by woodscrews.

then you can plug into other cabs (just watch the impedence)

if you add a jack you will obviously have more to carry than your small Vox, but it is simpler than building a new enclosure for the whole amp if the 10 inch speaker wont fit inside as is.....

maybe you can do some slight modification to make it work. keep us posted if you decide to tackle it ;)

• Members

Thanks for the responses. As mentioned by iplayloudly, it does have a jack for an external cab. I'm sure it would sound a lot better going through a larger cab and I'm sure I'll get around to trying that soon. However, I wanted to keep this as a grab and go kind of thing and the less heavy stuff I have to carry, the better. Where I live, there are a lot of steep steps between my apartment and my car, so I want to keep this as kind of minimal light weight set up. I do have larger (and heavier) amps that I wouldnt' hesitate to take for a gig, but sometimes for a jam or really small gig, it's nice to be able to make one trip to the car with a guitar in one hand and the amp in the other.

It looks like there is enough room for a slightly larger speaker in the amp. Just wondering if anyone has tried putting one in a Pathfinder - and, most importantly, whether it made a significant difference. I know that when I changed the speakers in my Marshall, it made a very noticable difference.

• Members

Internal volume of the cab is very small. Even if you could physically fit a 10" in there,I don't think you'd like the results. Its probably going to sound pretty boxy. Actually,the little Voxes have surprisingly punchy low end for a single 8" driver.

• Members

Even if you could physically fit a 10" in there,I don't think you'd like the results. Its probably going to sound pretty boxy. Actually,the little Voxes have surprisingly punchy low end for a single 8" driver.

That's what I was wondering - if the 10" speaker would actually sound better or not. The Vox Bulldog speaker is surprising good sounding for an 8". But like many people here on the forums, I'm always looking for any little thing to hot rod my gear and improve it's performance.

• Members

I've done exactly what you're talking about. Bought a pathfinder with dead electronics to use as a base for a single ended amp.

Completedinstalled4mar06.jpg

You have to cut away the lottom stringer.

Modifiedbox.jpg

Remove all the staples holding the trim and cloth in place to fold it back. NOTE - the cloth and that trim strip come down slightly inside the area you want to cut out. Mark the inside if you don't want to damage them when you cut.

Speakerconversion.jpg

As was said, there's very little space inside the box too. That Celestion G10-35L is quite short and has a small magnet. There is about 1/4" clearance between the outside of the magnet and the bottom of the chassis.

Speakerinstalled.jpg

With a 10" speaker the sound will have more depth to it, but in a cab this small it can't really develop its voice fully. I put 1" foam in the back of the cab to create the effect of a bigger cab. This really broadened the sound out and made it very useable.

I'm still debating whether to go one step further, install an Eminence Ramrod and modify the chassis to accept the wider speaker magnet. As it is it's a nice little amp that's loud enough for small gigs, sweet toned but doesn't roar. The ramrod would make it louder and more aggressive.

• Members

Ancient Mariner: thanks very much for the detailed info and photos - much appreciated!

It's obviously more than just a drop in installation. I'm not sure if I want to get into all that modification. But if I decide to I'm grateful to have all your info to work from . I'd be curious to know if you "go one step further" and how much of a tonal difference it makes.

Archived