OT: Al-Zarqawi Dead

cloudnine

• Members
Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

Yeah right. You know he's already been replaced.

Taking out the leaders is very effective. If the U.S. can take out a leader again, the losses will be devastating for them.

Israel does it all of the time, now Arabs think twice before each attack.

I'm proud of our 'states for doing this. Way to go!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by macmax

Yes, there is a big difference between the 2.

If you see the Europena guys coming in here you will see that our point of view is slightly diff than the north american point of view, maybe because as all of these events were happening we could see the ohter side while you were fed only by CNN and FOX news.

One thing that always stroke me in the heart was to see some footage from CNN claiming that the arabs were dancing inthe streets when the Two Towers went down, well maybe they were, but the footage that was shown in CNN was the same one shown when Kuwait was liberated many years ago.

How do i knwo this, i was send the footage from one of the universities in Brazil that had them by a friend of mine.

Did yo know that CNN only presented one side of the story

each 405 news that came out they presented 3 independent news and then shut them all completely?

What i mean , let's see if i can come thru here is that they presented their views 405 times against the views of the british, etc. anchormen that were in Iraq at the time.

then, they completely shut them all only to present their views.

Not sure where you are, but I am sure you are getting fed someone's idea of the truth, too. Sadly, I'm not sure we can trust any of the media for the straight-dope anymore. It's not just the American networks. Look at the BBC coverage of this event. It basically pooh poohs this a signficant victory. All news organizations spin, it appears. I don't know if there any true objectivity any more.

• Members
Originally posted by macmax

One thing that always stroke me in the heart was to see some footage from CNN claiming that the arabs were dancing inthe streets when the Two Towers went down, well maybe they were, but the footage that was shown in CNN was the same one shown when Kuwait was liberated many years ago.

How do i knwo this, i was send the footage from one of the universities in Brazil that had them by a friend of mine.

I call bull{censored}.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/cnn.htm

BTW, snopes is far from right leaning, because I know that's the next assertion I'm going to hear.

========================================

Claim: CNN used old footage to fake images of 'Palestinians dancing in the street' after the terrorist attack on the USA.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2001]

Origins: No,
CNN did not air decade-old footage of Palestinians dancing in the streets. Eason Jordan, CNN's Chief News Executive, confirmed that the video used on CNN was in fact shot on Tuesday, 11 September 2001, in East Jerusalem by a Reuters TV crew, not during the Persian Gulf conflict of 1990-91

• Members
Originally posted by Romanian Reaper

I'll take this one since I'm Air Force. You have bombs that are made to penetrate a building, then explode, and you have bombs that explode on impact. Depending on the building's construction, the bombs blast can do different types of damage. You could have a gaping hole in the middle and collapsing around the edges with slabs of concrete in a stack adjacent. I'm sure he died from being nailed with debris from the explosion and/or suffocated inside what was left of the building.

There are no hocus pocus tricks here. He's dead.

Thanks for the explanation RR! I had no doubt that he is Zarkawi and that he's toast - just couldn't understand how he wasn't pulverized. Now I do!

:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Roccaforte Amps

those are very small numbers.

I think the main point thats getting lost here,

the US is the only country that has put

major effort into liberating other countries.

Sorry, but Canada has never come close.

They have helped, but IMO it was miniscule.

Population of Canada vs. population of the USA might have something to do with how many soldiers we can afford to send out for "liberating other countries". I didn't realize this was a pissing contest...especially since I thought your point was actually that "the Canadian military hasn't done {censored} to really help anyone else in the world in a very long time".

I'm not saying that some of the USA's military actions haven't been beneficial to other countries, but to piss all over what Canada has done is either pointless or just plain insulting. And what you call "liberating other countries" might not be viewed as such all over the world in every situation, don't forget.

• Members

the US is the only country that has put

major effort into liberating other countries.

Doug, I respect your obvious expertise in guitar amplification, but your statement quoted above is, and I say this as tactfully as possible, retarded. I hope you can prove me wrong. Can you provide evidence in support of your claim?

• Members

Well, after 14 pages I'm sure this has been said, but I'll say it again...
I don't think his death is gonna make any difference. Those people are {censored}ing animals. They'll just take the next sickest, craziest bastard that they can find and put him in charge.

Anyway, I'm glad he's dead. And I hope he's sitting there down in hell thinking to himself, "hey, where's my virgins?"

• Members
Originally posted by fragglerick

Well, after 14 pages I'm sure this has been said, but I'll say it again...

I don't think his death is gonna make any difference. Those people are {censored}ing animals. They'll just take the next sickest, craziest bastard that they can find and put him in charge.

I don't think we here know enough to make a statement like that.

Sure, if there is a minor or even a big player, there are many to take the place to follwo the orders of the kingpin.

I don't think we fully understand Al Zarqawi's role. He was, and has been for 30 years, a major major dealer in global terrorism. I'm sure there are many that can follow orders and orgainze the pockets of mayehm we hear and see. But I think we may give too much credit to think that ANYONE can step in and run the terrorist groups at large.

Conniving? Check.
Passionate? Check.
Dedicated? Check.

But is your average low or mid-level terrorist really really smart?

Do not underestimate the power and experience that Al-Zarqawi held. And I undrstand several other raids netted many of his high level henchman.

Give credit where credit is due and count this a battle victory in the war on global terrorism.

H

• Members

The US liberated Afganistan from the Taliban,Viet Nam, Iraq from Saddam Hussein, German occupied France, German occupied Europe. And after the war we spoke of Soviet-occupied Hungary, Czechoslovakia, eastern Europe. Its history, and it doesn't lie.

Uh, we lost Vietnam, bud. Vietnam to this day is still a Communist (read: State Capitalist) government. You also can't count the velvet revolution as one of our "liberations" because Eastern Europe liberated themselves. We just happened to have an arms race.

So you've basically got World War Two (in which there were MANY allies, including some that suffered more losses, financially and physically, than we did in the liberation effort {let's not forget the Soviet Union in their efforts here, as they are the ones who "liberated" Eastern Europe from Axis occupation}), Korea?, Afghanistan (which we "liberated" from the power our own insurgence against the Soviets helped put into place) and Iraq.

Any other American Liberation success stories you'd like to spin? The United States has been a part of several genuinely humanitarian military campaigns in the 20th century, but to say we're some steadfastly benevolent military liberators that act alone and always alone is totally wrong, if you're trying to characterize it like that. We've had significant help from our allies in all but the most contentious of major military operations (Vietnam, Iraq II).

• Members

We lost the vietnam war?
when diplomacy had failed a greatly frustrated Nixon concluded that only force could persuade Hanoi that negotiating with the United States was preferable to continuing the war. The President ordered his military commanders to mine Haiphong Harbor and to initiate a sustained air campaign in the Hanoi-Haiphong region. Beginning on December 18 and continuing for 11 days, American bombing attacked all significant military targets in the region. Even though the targets were military, the aim was psychological

• Members
Originally posted by Highgrade

From CNN:

'The most wanted man in Iraq died in a U.S. airstrike Wednesday evening when two 500-pound bombs slammed into a safe house near Baquba, according to U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Bill Caldwell."

story.compare.pool.jpg

Is it me or does this not make sense? If the airstrike used two 500lb bombs that pulverized the building, how is it this dude doesn't have a scratch???

It's because that photo is after they cleaned him up for proper identifcation and he did survive the attack.

Here's another photo of how he looked right after the bombs blasted him.

• Members
Originally posted by Simon Garlick

So you're saying, given that Zarqawi wasn't even forty, he's been a major dealer in global terrorism since he was NINE YEARS OLD?

Whoops.

I apoligize for my ignorance and misinformation. I heard on a radio program that he has held power and influence for a number of years, not just any kind of 9/11 attack.

I certainly must be wrong on that specific number, but I stand by the rest of my statement.

• Members
Originally posted by PlayboyChris

Oh wait. Now I get it. Some sort of Abu Gharib or Guantanamo Bay thing. Yeah, that really hits me where I live. Not.

Pretty strong words coming from a pacifist, JBT.

He could have been talking about the Japanese Internment (sp?) camps during WW2? :idea:

• Members
Originally posted by Highgrade

From CNN:

'The most wanted man in Iraq died in a U.S. airstrike Wednesday evening when two 500-pound bombs slammed into a safe house near Baquba, according to U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Bill Caldwell."

story.compare.pool.jpg

Is it me or does this not make sense? If the airstrike used two 500lb bombs that pulverized the building, how is it this dude doesn't have a scratch???

You're not seeing the rest of his body... or lack thereof. :eek:

They also may have cleaned up his face so he'd be more instantly recognized when they showed his mug. It was pretty hard to distinguish Uday and Qusay after we {censored}ed them up.

• Members

James, I'm not "pissing" on Canada, just its government.

The government here certainly isn't perfect, but that still doesn't have much to do with what you were speaking earlier. You were referring to military decisions, conquests more specifically.

• Members
Originally posted by JamesPeters

The government here certainly isn't perfect, but that still doesn't have much to do with what you were speaking earlier. You were referring to military decisions, conquests more specifically.

FWIW - James, I do occassionaly poke fun at our northern neighbors and do get annoyed sometimes at you guys, just as I do with lifelong friends and family mebers. But I will be the first to admit and acknowledge that Canada has fought bravely and died alongside Americans repeatedly through our nations history(this time around notwithstanding). Thanx.

• Members
Originally posted by shredhead666

It was pretty hard to distinguish Uday and Qusay after we {censored}ed them up.

Very true. I just saw the footage of their bodies yesterday as part of the Zarqawi coverage. Holy crap! One of their faces was nearly melted off, and both of them had huge gashes stapled shut on their torsos that looked like a great white shark had feasted on them.