OT: Anybody else just exhausted with US politics?

rememberduane

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This country needs a frigging revolution. I'm sick and tired at the apathy of the masses who belive we live in a free democracy.

Democracy in the US is like being in a prison cell but getting to choose which obese fat man gets to ass-rape you.

In truth, I'm not sure democracy really works. Don't get me wrong, it was a great experiment, and it worked decently for a long time when the majority of people who cared enough to vote cared enough about themselves to persue self-improvement. . And yes, I know that the US government isn't a democracy, it's a republic, but I digress.

But the sad truth is that the majority of people in this country are stupid, thus as long as the basis of our political system hinges around the "majority" picking between two options, the majority of those decisions will be stupid.

Also, before someone comes out and says, "well, we have the technology for a true democracy where everyone can vote on all the issues", realize that if that were to happen, then interested coorperations would simply use mass-media to influence the voting flock, and "majority rule" would be no different then how people are influenced to buy Coke or Pepsi.

What we need is segregation in this country. Not on a racial level, but on an intelligence level. The stupid, apathetic majority (you know, the kind of people who think that "liberty" is being able to get into their SUV, go to the mall, and buy clothes at the GAP) should be allowed to live out their sad lives without being able to influence the politics of the government. I suppose we need to go back to the "old school", but instead of a system where only rich white land-owners get to vote, we have one where only intelligent people get to vote. That right there would put 90% of the current politicans out of a job.

Viva la revolution.

-W

• Members

Im sick of this current administration. They have discarded more citizen rights and created more bogus laws than any other administration in US history. Not to mention the most controversial administration with many of its members and supporters under investigation for fraud's and tamperings of various degrees. Bush Admin.= corporate criminals. Before George's regime started their piracy on capital hill I had much respect for the Rep. party. WTF happened?

• Members

Originally posted by rememberduane

But it's not and that's the crux of the issue. I am exhausted, disgusted, and annoyed, but I still care, which is why it is all the most exhausting. Most people don't know or care enough to even be exhausted.

Well, if you want to improve the situation, I suggest the following: find and study a particular issue, poverty for instance. Develop a theory to address the issue as you gather a cadre of like-minded people. Propose to your representatives that this is issue about which their constituents care deeply, thus making election and reelection on the basis of this plank in their platform a reality. Woo some form of industry (this should have been part of the theory) and accrue an even more substantial base of voters. You know have a political machine that can propose and pass effective laws in Washington.

Of course, you will have tough time competing with all the other interests because relatively little profit is likely to be derived from addressing poverty, particularly in an age when intensely competitive, unregulated, corporate capitalism is being encouraged on a global scale.

• Members

...There is no doubt that our forefathers wrote that the government will have no set religion, in the First Amendment...

Where does it say that?

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

• Members

Originally posted by SergeantThump

Where does it say that?

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Well, the part where it says that no law can establish a religion or prohibit other religions. Therefore, any law that's restricting anything that is strictly of a religious nature is against the constitution because that either prohibits free excercise of an opposing religion or is a law that "respects" or "establishes" one religion above others.

That works, and I didn't evne have to change their language.

Were you sarcastic? Cause then I feel like an ass.

I am on Chris with this one, none of these things seem like they should even be issues.

Yes, cigarettes increase your risk for cancer, because agents in cigarettes cause cancer frequently when ingetsed in high amounts. I could survive jumping off a 50 foot roof head first onto concrete, people do it, but no one does it on purpose with hte intention of living...

• Members

When Right wing pundits compare Al Gore to a Nazi Propagandist in "An Inconvenient Truth" you know things are a little out of hand.

Politics (speaking mostly about pundits and political commentators/analysts) has become all about the sensational - the only voices heard are the ones that are outrageously extreme. The sad thing is people are buying into these extremes too - it makes for good ratings... Good times.

When a prop to create a state paid for pre-school program doesn't win in Cali, even though it would only be paid for by a 1.7% tax on 0.6% richest people in the state, you know there are problems...

I think all this boils down to one absolute and ultimately inconvenient truth. People are stupid... The richest 1% create confict and infighting within the lower 99% to distract them while they pilage all the wealth...

• Members

Maybe helping eachother and the rest of the world rather than fabricating things to further our "side".

It's a big {censored}ing clique-fest with "teams" and "battles" in which cheating is the norm and lying is okay as long as it furthers one's political motives, regardless of the implications it has on society.

I know you were being rhetorical and ironic, but I still wanted to answer it for the idiots.

Look, our entire political system was founded by the rich and powerful to make themselves ever more rich and powerful, while appearing to care about the rest of us and "freedom" and "democracy" and other bull{censored}. The top 1% owns 99% of the wealth in this country. Ya got two choices here if you REALLY want to particpate in any meaningful way in our political process:

1) Become rich and powerful

2) Execute a successful, violent overthrow of the US Government

I recommend 1).

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

I don't see anyone saying the US sucks here. You apparently misread the thread title, and didn't even look at the posts.

My response was to people who were sick of American Politics, which is EXACTLY what the thread title is about.

• Members

yeah let me just get in here and say this...BUSH {censored}ING SUCKS SO MUCH NUTS!!!!! he will go down in history as one of the worst presidents ever. he is so bad that if i go to europe anytime soon i will be sure to put a canadian flag on my backpack just so i dont get mugged.

• Members

Originally posted by Sick Michael

My response was to people who were sick of American Politics, which is EXACTLY what the thread title is about.

I've been sick of American politics for a long, long time, but it doesn't mean that I hate America or want to leave here. Quite the contrary in fact... I just know where I stand in the political process...

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by Matt_plan-R

When Right wing pundits compare Al Gore to a Nazi Propagandist in "An Inconvenient Truth" you know things are a little out of hand.

When a prop to create a state paid for pre-school program doesn't win in Cali, even though it would only be paid for by a 1.7% tax on 0.6% richest people in the state, you know there are problems...

You mean the 'Al Gore' that wants to OUTLAW automobiles?

The 'left' side of the aisle likes to throw the taxpayer's HARD EARNED MONEY at programs that aren't ACCOUNTABLE and return only approximately 7% return on each dollar invested....this isn't good politics or business and, in the end it is the taxpayer (and, in this case, the school kids) that gets 'hosed'...whether you live in the RICH 1% or not...cut the 'class envy' stuff...poor decision making is POOR DECISION MAKING whether your rich or poor...using 'loaded language', name calling, and trying to interject 'emotion' into the equation only convolutes the point.

• Members

Originally posted by guitar shmoe

...whether you live in the RICH 1% or not...cut the 'class envy' stuff...

I don't have "class envy", I just understand how our political system was designed and works and you clearly do not...

Steve

Archived