WOT: This guy Alexi Laiho Sucks!!!

JohnRageOn

• Members

Originally posted by Metal|Boy

That's so lame!

Indeed!

Ok he doesn't play like Kurt Cobain or other alternative/grunge guys, but he writes in a magazine, has endorsements etc. He must live up to the expectations of the average metal gutarist.

Mick Mars (Motley Crue for those who don't know) was very limited to what he played according to nowadays standards, but whatever he played, he played it well plus he had huge balls.

I'm refering to Mick because someone stated that Alexi had an accident and he can't play too well anymore. Mick has Metabolic Bone Disease, underwent several surgeries and still rocks like he did!!!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by JohnRageOn

Indeed!

Ok he doesn't play like Kurt Cobain or other alternative/grunge guys, but he writes in a magazine, has endorsements etc. He must live up to the expectations of the average metal gutarist.

Mick Mars (Motley Crue for those who don't know) was very limited to what he played according to nowadays standards, but whatever he played, he played it well plus he had huge balls.

I'm refering to Mick because someone stated that Alexi had an accident and he can't play too well anymore. Mick has Metabolic Bone Disease, underwent several surgeries and still rocks like he did!!!

Wait a minute! You don' really believe that they played that, do you? :eek:

They played needled 24/7, not final countdown, some {censored}er just played with a video.

I was the one who said he had an accident, it wasn't serious or anything, but he wasn't able to play for sometime and maybe he lost some of the chops because of it. I don't know, I'm just anticipating this.

• Members

Wait a minute! You don' really believe that they played that, do you?
:eek:
They played needled 24/7, not final countdown, some {censored}er just played with a video.

I was the one who said he had an accident, it wasn't serious or anything, but he wasn't able to play for sometime and maybe he lost some of the chops because of it. I don't know, I'm just anticipating this.

I suppose you're right!

I watched the video carefully and it's a lame montage! My appologies!!!

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

I haven't heard very much Nevermore, but it wasn't entirely musical in comparison, and the only technical ability I really noticed exhibited in the guitar playing was some extremely anti-musical shred solos, so I don't really know why you are comparing the two.
:freak:

Sounds like someone isn't familiar with the joys of diminished scales. ;)

• Members

Indeed!

I don't understand why you have it in for this guy so bad? :confused:

• Members

Take a look at what he said:

In April of 2005 Alexi generated a considerable amount of unrest in the metal guitar community when, in an interview with Guitar World magazine, he referred to popular prog metal act Dream Theater as "super lame" going on to say "It's not even music; it's sports." The magazine also referred to Dream Theater as Laiho's "favorite whipping boys." In January 2006 issue of the same magazine, reader Brad Bailey asked "Why did you make those lame comments about Dream Theater in GW? You're a fine player, but comments like those just make people lose respect for you. Did you know it caused a big stir?" to which Laiho responded "{censored}. Well, apparently it did. First of all, I think it's really funny that people trash bands and musicians every day on the internet, and nobody gives a {censored}. But once you say something like that- which wasn't even too bad- in a magazine, all of a sudden you're the biggest dick on the earth. But truthfully, I don't know why I said that. I was having a bad day or something. Obviously, John Petrucci is a better player then I am, and it's not my place to talk {censored} about him."

Who's this goon that criticizes Petrucci!

I find him very ghey!!!

The guy did what most would not and MANNED-UP and said he was having a bad day and that Petrucci was better than him... I think thats totaly cool and showed some humility...

He probably said DT is way lame because of that lame ass fudge packing vocalist they have... Besides the fact that IMO straight up singing on any level sucks to my ears, That guy just runis the band to no end with his fairy ass ky jelly inspired vocals...

xgx

• Members

Originally posted by xgxmanx

The guy did what most would not and MANNED-UP and said he was having a bad day and that Petrucci was better than him... I think thats totaly cool and showed some humility...

He probably said DT is way lame because of that lame ass fudge packing vocalist they have... Besides the fact that IMO straight up singing on any level sucks to my ears, That guy just runis the band to no end with his fairy ass ky jelly inspired vocals...

xgx

:D:thu:

DT puts me to sleep and makes me want to kill myself at the same time. I don't listen to CoB anymore, but I'd take thier music over DT's any day.

• Members

Originally posted by indespise

I don't understand why you have it in for this guy so bad?
:confused:

I do not hold something against Laiho. I just can't understand the hype about him, saw a ridiculous instructional video, and I rate him just as an average player! Not very inspiring especially for young guitar players!

• Members

I do not hold something against Laiho. I just can't understand the hype about him, saw a ridiculous instructional video, and I rate him just as an average player! Not very inspiring especially for young guitar players!

did you watch the whole passage to the reaper video on google video that I gave link of? What do you think of it?

• Members

did you watch the whole passage to the reaper video on google video that I gave link of? What do you think of it?

Yes it was better than the others I've seen so far! :thu:

Let's play a game: You give me 5 modern players names like Laiho, I'll give you 5 80's and you'll see my point!

• Members

Take a look at what he said:

In April of 2005 Alexi generated a considerable amount of unrest in the metal guitar community when, in an interview with Guitar World magazine, he referred to popular prog metal act Dream Theater as "super lame" going on to say "It's not even music; it's sports." The magazine also referred to Dream Theater as Laiho's "favorite whipping boys." In January 2006 issue of the same magazine, reader Brad Bailey asked "Why did you make those lame comments about Dream Theater in GW? You're a fine player, but comments like those just make people lose respect for you. Did you know it caused a big stir?" to which Laiho responded "{censored}. Well, apparently it did. First of all, I think it's really funny that people trash bands and musicians every day on the internet, and nobody gives a {censored}. But once you say something like that- which wasn't even too bad- in a magazine, all of a sudden you're the biggest dick on the earth. But truthfully, I don't know why I said that. I was having a bad day or something. Obviously, John Petrucci is a better player then I am, and it's not my place to talk {censored} about him."

Who's this goon that criticizes Petrucci!

I find him very ghey!!!

People need to get over themselves. Alexi comes across as a very REAL person. So what if he was having a {censored}ty day. You can't be nice to everyone all the time, he was probably just blowing off some steam.

Jeez, as if no one has ever talked {censored} about Petrucci here... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Members

He is as dumb as ass.

Alexi Laiho interviews Slayer:

Laiho: Jeff, do you only play Jackson guitars? If so, would you be willing to try other brands?

Hanneman: I actually only have one Jackson! ESP makes all my guitars now

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

He is as dumb as ass.

Alexi Laiho interviews Slayer:

Laiho: Jeff, do you only play Jackson guitars? If so, would you be willing to try other brands?

Hanneman: I actually only have one Jackson! ESP makes all my guitars now

Apart they're both ESP endorsers, they're silly also!!!

:D :D :D

Now about the Petrucci thing, yep he's honest!

Guys you misunderstood me! I'm not saying he's a bad person, I'm saying he's too much overated because we don't have any more guitar heroes. Marketing departments on big companies always want one contemporary guy to promote their stuff!

What's the most evolutionary thing Alexi did to the instrument???

• Members

I've seen this Young Guitar Instructional video that he made and the guy totally sucked. His technique sucks, his tone sucks and the most important of all he has an awful vibrato plus he seems to be on drugs(ok that's his personnal problem)!

I can't understand the hype about this guy and COB. Are we in lack of guitar heroes nowadays???

Eg. I might not like Nevermore and Loomis' tone on all albums but I respect him a lot. Jeff kicks ass for sure and has some wicked leads, but this guy Alexi should give it a day IMHO.

And there are other great players like Loomis nowadays... There's no need for Laihos.

Discuss...

ROUND 1...

THat instructional video is weird. You can tell he wasnt really into it at all and I agree his playing is prety weak on it.

However, basing your opinion off that one vid is foolish. Listen to some of the COB albums and get back to us. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

THat instructional video is weird. You can tell he wasnt really into it at all and I agree his playing is prety weak on it.

However, basing your opinion off that one vid is foolish. Listen to some of the COB albums and get back to us.
:thu:

The best judge is not the studio but the live! I believe everyone agrees with that, and it seems that you haven't read the whole thread! ;)

I'm not attacking the guy

• Members

The best judge is not the studio but the live!

Every single one of my friends (including one who mainly listens to hip-hop) has said that Laiho totally kicks ass live. Haven't seen him myself though :)

• Members

Originally posted by Straton

Every single one of my friends (including one who mainly listens to hip-hop) has said that Laiho totally kicks ass live. Haven't seen him myself though
:)

I've seen many lives, and I've seen great guitar players in a bad day (eg. Joe Satriani). He still kicked serious butt!

Are your friends guitarists or they judge by stage presence?

And If I was famous I would refuse to play on an instructional video on a bad day, simply because it is instructional, and for reputational reasons also.

From Finland are also Timo Tolkki and the guy from Nightwish who are hell of players :thu: :thu: :thu:

There are many gr8 players there and congrats to Lordi!!!

• Members

I've seen many lives, and I've seen great guitar players in a bad day (eg. Joe Satriani). He still kicked serious butt!

Are your friends guitarists or they judge by stage presence?

And If I was famous I would refuse to play on an instructional video on a bad day, simply because it is instructional, and for reputational reasons also.

From Finland are also Timo Tolkki and the guy from Nightwish who are hell of players

Some guitarists, some "normal people" :D. I would never let that kind of material get released either. I'm not a really big fan of those two guys, best finnish shredders are Fat Mr Crab and Uli CC Rottweiler :cool::D

(In case you haven't seen, check this.)

• Members

Originally posted by Straton

Some guitarists, some "normal people"
:D
. I would never let that kind of material get released either. I'm not a really big fan of those two guys, best finnish shredders are Fat Mr Crab and Uli CC Rottweiler
:cool::D

(In case you haven't seen, check
this
.)

I'm still downloading...

Where are these guys playing???

Archived