Help me understand this DIY crap

martindcx1e

• Members

so what do i have to do to understand what the crap this is talking about regarding modding a pedal? or is it easy enough for someone to just tell me?

C1, C10 - change to 0.047uf

C2 - change to 0.47uf

C8, C9, C14 - change to 1uf

C3 - change to 0.068uF

C5, C12, C13 - change to 0.1uf

C11 - change to 0.033uf

D4, D5 - change to red 3mm LED's

R13 - change to 2.4k

R14 - change to 1.5k

R16 - change to 4.7k

R39 - change to 20k

• Members

pretty easy.
r12 for example is resistor 12. should say r12 next to it on the pc board. if it doesn't get a schematic, learn how to read it, and do what it says.

d = diode
c= capacitor

unsolder the old component, and solder in the new one. be carefull not to scorch the traces or oversolder.

• Members

Get a book on basic electronics (or do some web research, it's out there I'm sure). I'm not intending to sound like a dick, so please don't take it that way, but if you need to ask these questions then you should probably learn some fundamentals before attempting to work on an electronic device of any kind. It's as much a safety thing as much as anything else.

Matt

• Members
Originally posted by martindcx1e

so what do i have to do to understand what the crap this is talking about regarding modding a pedal? or is it easy enough for someone to just tell me?

C1, C10 - change to 0.047uf

C2 - change to 0.47uf

C8, C9, C14 - change to 1uf

C3 - change to 0.068uF

C5, C12, C13 - change to 0.1uf

C11 - change to 0.033uf

D4, D5 - change to red 3mm LED's

R13 - change to 2.4k

R14 - change to 1.5k

R16 - change to 4.7k

R39 - change to 20k

Well,that is perfectly simple. Change whatever the value of each component to the new value listed. The somewhat tricky part is locating each of those pieces and maybe the close-quarters soldering.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Well,that is perfectly simple. Change whatever the value of each component to the new value listed. The somewhat tricky part is locating each of those pieces and maybe the close-quarters soldering.

ok what i am not understanding is how or what changes those values? does the soldering change them? when i read "change x to y" it means nothing to me except that x needs to be y. i don't know how to change it. that's how someone here could "dumb it down" more for me if you don't mind.

• Members

ok what i am not understanding is
how
or
what
changes those values? does the soldering change them? when i read "change x to y" it means nothing to me except that x needs to be y. i don't know how to change it. that's how someone here could "dumb it down" more for me if you don't mind.

Well,you have to buy the correct/new valued components and swap the old ones for them. Is that what you are asking?

• Members

ok what i am not understanding is
how
or
what
changes those values? does the soldering change them? when i read "change x to y" it means nothing to me except that x needs to be y. i don't know how to change it. that's how someone here could "dumb it down" more for me if you don't mind.

If you're that clueless, how about you read up on it or take the mod to someone who knows this stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Well,you have to buy the correct/new valued components and swap the old ones for them. Is that what you are asking?

what's really funny is that jim already mentioned this earlier in the thread. homie needs to relax and hit the books.

• Members

Geez guys,
Cut him a little slack. You all were noobs at one time or another. You didn't ask simple questions? That is all he did. It isn't like he was asking for the passwords to your CC accounts or anything.

I think he deserves a bit more respect than that.

Gary

• Members

Originally posted by RancidMilk912

You change the acutal components themselves, you take a say a .1uf cap and change it to a .03uf cap. And in turn the acutual changing of the components change the values.... It's simple...

thank you!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by travis bickle

what's really funny is that jim already mentioned this earlier in the thread. homie needs to relax and hit the books.

ya you're right lol. dunno what i read his post to say earlier. whooops.

• Members
Originally posted by riffy

Geez guys,

Cut him a little slack. You all were noobs at one time or another. You didn't ask simple questions? That is all he did. It isn't like he was asking for the passwords to your CC accounts or anything.

I think he deserves a bit more respect than that.

Gary

friend! :wave:

• Members

ok one more question (cowers)...where would one purchase these new components? (runs to safety)

www.mouser.com
or you could try one of the online guitar parts stores, like http://www.smallbearelec.com/ but you'll end up paying more.

but take my advice: it doesn't sound like you know how to solder, and it takes a little practice to get right. you could ruin the PCB in your pedal or mess up one of the components. If you know someone who knows how to solder, get them to help you out.

• Members
Originally posted by blargh

www.mouser.com

or you could try one of the online guitar parts stores, like
http://www.smallbearelec.com/
but you'll end up paying more.

but take my advice: it doesn't sound like you know how to solder, and it takes a little practice to get right. you could ruin the PCB in your pedal or mess up one of the components. If you know someone who knows how to solder, get them to help you out.

ya i plan on learning how to before trying to mod like a $200 pedal or something stupid. thanks though.

Archived