Help me understand this DIY crap

martindcx1e

• Members

Blarg gave good advice there.. Practice soldering a bit first before working on your project. Don't forget to "tin" the soldering iron before starting as well. Practice soldering small wires to posts.

Just not on your project at first... Soldering isn't hard at all, it just take a bit of patience! The guy on the first page gave you good answers about what "c", "r" and that type of thing means as well. Capacitors, Resistors. Micro Farads, Pico PicoFarads. You could well be using any of the above... Just learn what the electronic"shorthand" for everything means. You will be set...

Now that is for battery powered pedals... Anything AC, I say stay away from till you do learn basic electronics. One thing you should never forget: When poking around inside anything AC powered, KEEP ON HAND IN YOUR POCKET! That one little bit of advice could truly save your life... YOU DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF A GROUND LOOP. Trust me... I have been there...lol... I was lucky, I just got a nasty shock. Could have been a lot worse. I know better but I rested my left hand on my workbench, fingers touching the chassis of an amp that had a shorting tube socket.
I was poking around and guess who got bit! Yep, yours truly. NOT a pleasant experience I will tell you...

PM Craig Anderton. He is an administrator here. He has been doing DIY projects since I was a little fellow. I cut my teeth making his fuzz box projects! He has his own forum here as well and I am telling ya, as far as electronics go, Craig KNOWS his stuff!

Gary

• Members

Originally posted by riffy

Now that is for battery powered pedals... Anything AC, I say stay away from till you do learn basic electronics. One thing you should never forget: When poking around inside anything AC powered, KEEP ON HAND IN YOUR POCKET! That one little bit of advice could truly save your life... YOU DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF A GROUND LOOP. Trust me... I have been there...lol... I was lucky, I just got a nasty shock. Could have been a lot worse. I know better but I rested my left hand on my workbench, fingers touching the chassis of an amp that had a shorting tube socket.

I was poking around and guess who got bit! Yep, yours truly. NOT a pleasant experience I will tell you...

Gary

what if something can be powered by both battery or ac? like for a boss ds-1 pedal, would i have to keep one hand in my pocket?

ps - thanks for being so helpful

• Members

Originally posted by martindcx1e

what if something can be powered by both battery or ac? like for a boss ds-1 pedal, would i have to keep one hand in my pocket?

ps - thanks for being so helpful

pedals are OK, just d0ont plug it in while working. hes meaning something like an amplifier that runs on AC, even when unplugged they can store and unload lethal voltages on you

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

pedals are OK, just d0ont plug it in while working. hes meaning something like an amplifier that runs on AC, even when unplugged they can store and unload lethal voltages on you

gotcha. thanks a bunch guys

Archived