Peavey 5150 Guitar Amplifier Head (120 Watts) really loud WHy?

Walters9515

• Members

Peavey 6505 or 5150 Guitar Amplifier Head (120 Watts)

I own a marshall 2000 the 3 channel amp head

and i own a fender silver face twin reverb

I play a Peavey 5150 amp head at my rehearsal hall and i didn't even have the amp on #1 volume it was so loud that amp has alot of headroom when i turned it to 2 volume it was in the damaging area of hearing

My marshall and twin reverb u have to turn it up to 8 to get the same HEADROOM DB RATIO that the Peavey 5150 gets why is that?

If i turn up the Marshall up more its distorts or overdrives the clean channel same with fender twin past 8 or 7 its overdriving breaking up

With the 5150 its on like 1 1/2 and its really really really loud its (120 watts) but my marshall and fender twin say 100watts whats the deal with the DB RATIO and HEADROOM this peavey gets VS My marshall and Twin reverb???

I A/B the marshall and Twin and the peavey is way louder at volume 2 then a marshall or twin at level volume 8 why??

Is it the power amp is very high current or has a really loud headroom power amp in the peavey??

Is it the Transformer (120w) power or ouput transformer??

• Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

I'm not boosting it

Straight IN guitar

...... that may be the problem If I don't at least have a pedal on level control for volume boost my 1x12 peavey with gain up will blow the tolex off my twin reverb in sound competition

• Members

Peavey 6505 or 5150 Guitar Amplifier Head (120 Watts)

I own a marshall 2000 the 3 channel amp head

and i own a fender silver face twin reverb

I play a Peavey 5150 amp head at my rehearsal hall and i didn't even have the amp on #1 volume it was so loud that amp has alot of headroom when i turned it to 2 volume it was in the damaging area of hearing

My marshall and twin reverb u have to turn it up to 8 to get the same HEADROOM DB RATIO that the Peavey 5150 gets why is that?

If i turn up the Marshall up more its distorts or overdrives the clean channel same with fender twin past 8 or 7 its overdriving breaking up

With the 5150 its on like 1 1/2 and its really really really loud its (120 watts) but my marshall and fender twin say 100watts whats the deal with the DB RATIO and HEADROOM this peavey gets VS My marshall and Twin reverb???

I A/B the marshall and Twin and the peavey is way louder at volume 2 then a marshall or twin at level volume 8 why??

Is it the power amp is very high current or has a really loud headroom power amp in the peavey??

Is it the Transformer (120w) power or ouput transformer??

Numbers on a dial don't mean anything. The 5150 is a super high-gain amp. It could just be the difference in the gain structure between the amps.

• Members

The 5150 is a super high-gain amp. It could just be the difference in the gain structure between the amps.

GAIN STRUCTURE- like how current gain? or voltage gain?

Headroom gain?

If my marshall or twin reverb had a preamp output and i connected it to a 300watt power amp do u think it will be like the peavey or whats the difference?

• Members

The 5150 is a super high-gain amp. It could just be the difference in the gain structure between the amps.

GAIN STRUCTURE- like how current gain? or voltage gain?

Headroom gain?

If my marshall or twin reverb had a preamp output and i connected it to a 300watt power amp do u think it will be like the peavey or whats the difference?

No idea where you are getting your ideas. If the preamp sends a stronger signal to the power amp,a lower number on the volume knob will give you a similar output as a higher number on the amp whose preamp doesn't send as strong of a signal to the power section.

• Members

If the preamp sends a stronger signal to the power amp,a lower number on the volume knob will give you a similar output as a higher number on the amp whose preamp doesn't send as strong of a signal to the power section.

Yes but if the signal is stronger its going to have a HIGHER DB headroom output without causes saturation and overdriving preamp tube sound

The peavey 5150 has really high preamp output strong signals why is that?

If i use the preamp output and leave my marshall on 2 volume and put a 300watt power amp on level volume 5 will it be like a peavey 5150???

• Members

If the preamp sends a stronger signal to the power amp,a lower number on the volume knob will give you a similar output as a higher number on the amp whose preamp doesn't send as strong of a signal to the power section.

Yes but if the signal is stronger its going to have a HIGHER DB headroom output without causes saturation and overdriving preamp tube sound

The peavey 5150 has really high preamp output strong signals why is that?

If i use the preamp output and leave my marshall on 2 volume and put a 300watt power amp on level volume 5 will it be like a peavey 5150???

I don't know. Try it.

Archived