Peavey 5150 Guitar Amplifier Head (120 Watts) really loud WHy?

Walters9515

• Members

I use to have a Crate GFX212 100watter solidstate that on 2 would blow your head off and peel paint. That freaken amp was really LOUD! My 5150 head seems to have a logrhythmic corrrelation between volume and knob number. I play post gain at around 3 or 4 and that is enough to drown out a unmic'd drummer. I ventured into the 5/6 territory and tucked my tail between my legs. I like my hearing thank you.:D

• Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

Peavey 6505 or 5150 Guitar Amplifier Head (120 Watts)

I own a marshall 2000 the 3 channel amp head

and i own a fender silver face twin reverb

I play a Peavey 5150 amp head at my rehearsal hall and i didn't even have the amp on #1 volume it was so loud that amp has alot of headroom when i turned it to 2 volume it was in the damaging area of hearing

My marshall and twin reverb u have to turn it up to 8 to get the same HEADROOM DB RATIO that the Peavey 5150 gets why is that?

If i turn up the Marshall up more its distorts or overdrives the clean channel same with fender twin past 8 or 7 its overdriving breaking up

With the 5150 its on like 1 1/2 and its really really really loud its (120 watts) but my marshall and fender twin say 100watts whats the deal with the DB RATIO and HEADROOM this peavey gets VS My marshall and Twin reverb???

I A/B the marshall and Twin and the peavey is way louder at volume 2 then a marshall or twin at level volume 8 why??

Is it the power amp is very high current or has a really loud headroom power amp in the peavey??

Is it the Transformer (120w) power or ouput transformer??

As far as the pot setting to volume ratios being different, you can't expect them to be the same. The resistor and capacitor networks in each amp can be radically different even if the pots are the same.

The pots are just a very small part of the overall circuit.

I'm thinking the tone stack in the Fender and the Peavey would be in different locations too.

• Members

I actually prefer somewhat quieter (smoother) amps, they are more useful to me in a live band situation - I would be complaining if my amp was "too loud" at volume level 2 - I would rather have it "too loud" at 7 on the dial - that way I can run it somewhere around 4 or 5 and be happy. That also gives we more control and actually makes the volume knob truly useful. I want more smoothness with the volume control, so that I can have more control with stage volume, etc.

• Members

wizard 100 watter. that'll make your peavey quiet

savage 120 at 2 on the master can blow your 5150

Crate GFX212 100watter solidstate

Why are these amps so most louder DB RATIO volume level wise??

Is it the output transformer?

is it the power amp wattage?

is it the power transformer?

High current in the power supply?

• Members

It's the complete output section and where the tone stack is placed.

• Members

It's MOJO....

Why the {censored} does it matter? If it's too loud, turn it down to balance between the other two... PROBLEM SOLVED... otherwise, why don't you email Peavey and ask them... I'm sure they are more knowledgeable of the amp they designed than nearly anyone here..

Archived