A tribute to my Father. A man I am proud of and hope to emulate.

riffy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by tubedude

Riffy, I to am the son of an American hero. My 84 year old dad is a marine combat veteran of the Pacific in WWII. He engaged in heavy fighting on Gaum, and Iwo Jima and other islands in the South Pacific. He truely is the bravest man I have ever known.

I salute your Father and all how put ther lifes on hold and peril so we, as American and a big part of the world, can live our lifes with liberty and security.

Thank you so much tubedude!

I salute your father as well. Those men of that era, were truly a different breed it seems... Serving your country then meant something different it seems. They were proud to do it. Not that today's men and women in service aren't but the public sentiment was quite different then as well and made the soldiers attitudes different as well. All these men were brave men... My dad told me that he was so scared at times that he literally shook in his boots but that those times were so short lived that you couldn't really pay attention to them. You either went with your gut instincts and did what was called for or you stood or laid there and died.

I urge all of you who still have your fathers, to embrace them now... Because when they aren't here any more... You will miss

them and the wealth of knowledge that they possess... Truly,

this is not just about my dad but all our dads. They are men who did what was called for in a lot of unusual situations.

Gary

PS. Off to do my civic duty today. I have jury duty...lol

• Members
Originally posted by Anderton

Cool cool cool father. The less said about anyone who doesn't realize that, the better.

I sure miss mine
:(

Thank you Craig. I agree with you 110%. I can only imagine how you do miss your dad as well... I know that I will be lost without my dad one of these days.

Gary

• Members

That's awesome, Gary! I have the utmost respect for these guys. Enjoy every moment and don't leave anything unsaid.:)

My dad was in the 101st in Vietnam. He served 2 tours and was an escaped POW. He was BAD ASS. He never adjusted back to 'normal' life all that well. He did what he wanted to, much to my chagrin. He would scoff, "What are they going to do? Send me to Vietnam?" :D

He died unexpectedly last year at 52 years of age. It's such a cruel fact of life to finally begin to understand a person once they have moved on.

• Members

Originally posted by riffy

My father turns 82 years of age next month. He was a Special Police in the 101st Airborne Division during WWII. He doesn't talk about it much though. I think it was pretty traumatic be honest.

He landed at Normandy. As a SP his job was to stand and hold. Not to dive into foxholes but to stand and hold. He make it... Thank God, or I wouldn't be here...lol

Anyway, today, he was at Walmart in the plant department. Seems there was no one or hardly anyone around at all in that department. He had gone to pick up potting soil for some plants of my mothers that he was transplanting... Some 22 year old punk started hassling him for his wallet. He wouldn't give it.

He said the kid pushed him and when he did my dad bent down and grabbed a handful of plant dirt. He threw it in the guys eyes and then kicked him in the nuts... Then after that my dad hit him square on the jaw and scooted back in the store... The police caught the guy...lol...

Hurrah for my Dad!

Gary

This is a great story Gary, your Dad is amazing--they don't mint them like this anymore. I'm seething inside thinking about the disrespect that punk had for your father, and glad he got what he deserved.

• Members

What I'd like to hear is when you tell him that we all approve of what he did. It'll probably go something like this;

"These guys on an internet message board all think what you did was cool."

"What are you talking about? Internet, Message Board?!?!?!? Stop being a {censored} and go out and make some real friends by getting into some fights, then smoke a pack of ciggarettes, and then eat some rocks you {censored}ing {censored}!"

• Members

Originally posted by diocide

What I'd like to hear is when you tell him that we all approve of what he did. It'll probably go something like this;

"These guys on an internet message board all think what you did was cool."

"What are you talking about? Internet, Message Board?!?!?!? Stop being a {censored} and go out and make some real friends by getting into some fights, then smoke a pack of ciggarettes, and then eat some rocks you {censored}ing {censored}!"

ROFLMAO!

That is actually pretty close... Especially eating some rocks, smoking a pack and {censored}ing {censored}... Specially {censored}ing SOME {censored}...lol

• Members

My grandpa is WWII vet and is in his 80's as well. I would hate to be some punk kid that thinks they could take his wallet...he's not as fast as he used to be but he's just as strong. I helped him change a disc on his tractor and I was doubled over trying to break it loose (I'm very strong BTW) and he reached over with one arm and broke it loose without any trouble at all. I was like :eek: Then he fell off a ladder while trying to help my dad install a ceiling fan at his house and broke his collar bone. He didn't even want to go to the doctor and said he was fine...that's tough.

Archived