Vernon Reid:Guitar genius or Overated hack?

V-Type

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

Apparently having over 140 IQ is genius...but what's scary is that I've taken a few IQ tests and I'm supposedly a genius.
:freak:

Something is definately wrong with these tests.
:D

I.Q. tests measure retention of the information that the dominant culture values. Actually, it does a little more than that, but a person will score very poorly on the test if he doesn't share the same knowledge base. Therefore, an I.Q. test is a very poor indicator of intelligence unless one defines intelligence as absorption of available material.

• Members

I liked his brutality and rawness and aggression and speed of his Living Color playing, and I considered him sloppy and assumed he was exploiting the technique for the style of music. That was the first and lasting impression I got when MTV first aired the Cult of Personality video....

Flash forward to Masque: My cousin has been playing with Vernon since the late 80s/early 90s, and performing and touring with him all over the world, but mostly Europe. I have a lot of respect for the guy as a sonic artist who does have real guitar skills hidden under that Boogie with the gain dimed and those EMGs runnng possibly at 18 volts, although I never asked him about his gear since he's plagued by fans asking him gear questions after every show, the band has a pet name for them, but I can't think of it now..Vikings or something because they all have long hair like Vikings, or something like that....

• Members

Originally posted by Loghead

I.Q. tests measure the amount of retention of the information that the dominant culture values. Actually, it does a little more than that, but a person will score very poorly on the test if he doesn't share the same knowledge base. Therefore, an I.Q. test is a very poor indicator of intelligence unless one defines intelligence as absorption of available material.

I agree. I remember a bit of a cultural bias.

• Members
Originally posted by Loghead

I.Q. tests measure the amount of retention of the information that the dominant culture values. Actually, it does a little more than that, but a person will score very poorly on the test if he doesn't share the same knowledge base. Therefore, an I.Q. test is a very poor indicator of intelligence unless one defines intelligence as absorption of available material.

Originally posted by vlad

I agree. I remember a bit of a cultural bias.

See...you guys are smart. :wave:

• Members

Not necessarily a guitar genuis, but a musical genius, IMO. I usually absolutely {censored}ing HATE it when people say "oh, you just don't get it..." about a band or guitar player or whatever. But I think Vernon is one of those dudes that you just either "get" or don't. For me personally, it connects. I'm biased though because LC was my favorite band throughout most of my teen years. Everything that he plays that (apparently) sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to most people is perfection to me. And yes, he absolutely can play clean and fast and more mainstream "jazzy" when he wants to. I've heard it live. But that's not the way he chooses to go most of the time. Thank god for that. I mean, don't we already have enough people that can play nice clean and fast stock rock/blues licks?

• Members
Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro

Actually Cult Of took even me a lot of getting used to. A bit too much reckless abandon. That said his Mistaken identity CD is one of my 10 Desert Island discs.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I thought I was THE only one who thinks that CD is the total package! I love Vernon's playing period. He just does IT for me... I love the Jap Rap on MI as well.:D

Gary

• Members
Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro

Guess he doesn't play any Funk, or Blues either, let alone anything remotely "Jazzy".

Ah....he's just too 'normal'...he's definately not into jazz...too bad. ;)

BTW...I really dig your 'outside' playing Ed...but Vernon...no, it doesn't speak to me. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Digital Jams

COP days were ESP guitars but has been with Hamer for well over 20 years
:thu:

OK, do i need to whip up my old "Guitar For the Practicing Musician" where he is sporting ESP"s?:D

FWIW. Seeing LC in a crowded, sweaty, smokey club in NYC was pretty much just {censored}ing incredible. I liked LC WAY better in the club environment rather than in the big arenas. With all the head banging, crazy funky riffs, intense loud volumes, and mosh pits,......the solos fit perfect.

Maybe you had to see them live to "get it". I remember seeing them live at the Limelight in NYC. THE best club ever!

• Members

prior to seeing this thread, I'd never given it much thought. Utterly and completely dig the first 2 LC records, never really wondered why or picked 'em apart. In retrospect, Vernon's tone on the 1st album pretty much blew-I'm okay with the 2nd album. Regarding his solos, technique and what have you, I dunno...it's just Vernon

• Members

This is fantastic. I love a heated debate like this. You really get to know how people tick. Its also 4 in the morning for me and I just got home from my gig and I'm wasted so that can have something to do with it too.:wave:

Archived