Vernon Reid:Guitar genius or Overated hack?

V-Type

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by shredhead666

And conversely all us Vernon fans think the same of those who don't "hear it" as well.

:thu:

Go Read the emperors new clothes. Is a great story. I would be willing to bet you are th etype of guy who would walk into a Jazz club and hear some hack bumbling over the fretboard and you would think he was the second comming. The real guys who could actually hear would be laughing at you.

I can hear just fine!!:thu:

BTW Pauly, I'm just {censored}ing with you :D

• Members

If you think the guy is {censored}ting out random notes, Id think again.
I read many interviews with the guy back in the day, when rection to his style is mirrored hear decades later. He knows what he's doing.

He plays free....sheets of sound, and not many people do or can do these days.

• Members

I like Living Color a lot, their first disc is killer. "You can tear a building down, but you can't erase a memory". I also like that tune Desperate People. But i had a couple of disc after that one and liked each one.

I could deal with his leads. Cult Of Personality grew on me, it sounds like he really wanted it to sound that way. Even though he is all over the place his vibrato still sounds good to me and i don't hear sour notes, bot some of his faster runs sounds slurred together.

From what i remember he used ESP guitars and Boogies.

• Members

Saw LC at the HOB last year and they smoked. Vernon sounded killer and was defintely in command of his playing. He got a lot of crazy sound from his pedals and rack fx. I dig his playing but know his frenetic playing isn't for everyone.

• Members
Originally posted by danyeo

I like Living Color a lot, their first disc is killer. "You can tear a building down, but you can't erase a memory". I also like that tune Desperate People. But i had a couple of disc after that one and liked each one.

I could deal with his leads. Cult Of Personality grew on me, it sounds like he really wanted it to sound that way. Even though he is all over the place his vibrato still sounds good to me and i don't hear sour notes, bot some of his faster runs sounds slurred together.

From what i remember he used ESP guitars and Boogies.

He used Hamers, but I don't know when he started using them. :)

• Members

Whatever. I guess you like him or you don't. I like variety and things that are out of the standard box thing. I still think he had a lot of stuff to say on his instrument and got it across very well.
Its a personal thing. People dissing him and saying he flails away like he doesn't know what hes doing don't have a clue. Its O.K. not to find his playing to your personal taste but show some respect:mad:
Its like all this Eddie bashing going on lately. Everybody jump on the boat. Hes a little {censored}ed up. So what. Who here hasn't been?

• Members

Reid is one of a few players i've constantly heard mentionned but never listened to.
I just checked out Cult of Personality. I like the lead, it has moments of melody and others that seem designed to create an impression of chaos. My kind of player, i think i'll have to buy the albums.

• Members
Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

Uhg! That solo is terrible IMO.
:freak:

Yeah not to mention when he went a half step up out of key and corrected himself which reafirms my beilief that he just wings his {censored}ing solos. To each their own I guess. I love the band but his solos blow donkey dick IMHO.

I'll have to pick up his solo album that Ed mentioned.

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

Yeah not to mention when he went a half step up out of key and corrected himself which reafirms my beilief that he just wings his {censored}ing solos. To each their own I guess. I love the band but his solos blow donkey dick IMHO.

Winging anything isn't a bad thing though.

As for his solo CD...be warned there's one Rock intrumental on it. The rest is an avantgarde, jazz, hip-hop melange.

• Members
Originally posted by gainfreak

I noticed that too LOL...his fretting hand was in the wrong place for a second...but he just kept playing half a tone out :freak:...his style of playing hurts...good thing there were no little babies near me while I watched that. :D

• Members

Please...I wouldn't at all be surprise to find that every Vernon basher on here is whining in some other thread that all the good music is gone and where are the innovators and blah blah blah. Go study some theory, listen to Reid's incredible playing, hear the summation of Coltrane, Hendrix, and the funkiest {censored} y'all could never play and embrace the fact that you have witnessed grace. The guy's a genius.

Archived