Vernon Reid:Guitar genius or Overated hack?

V-Type

• Members

I know this kinda a apples and oranges type of deal but I just listened to a couple of Living Color discs Ive had. In paticular I was listening closer to the guitar tones and playing. Im am less than amazed and find his lead tone horrid and his lead playing to be very undynamic and bordeline in the realm of a Kerry King in the lead dept. Ive also found that the rest of the band was very solid and deserved more of the credit for their success IMO. The Cult of personality lead is Meh at best. Yet I dug them when they first came out.:freak:

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Vernon reid is just an all around nice dude who loves to play the guitar. I met him at a club once and the guy was beyond nice as hell and he will talk guitars with you till you are both blue in the face!!

That said, Although Ed D will disagree with me, the cult of personality lead is on my alltime {censored} list as far as solos go. I don;t care what anyone says it will always be a WTF were you thinking lead to me and I'm never gonna change my opinion. great tune almost ruined by the lead IMHO.

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

Vernon reid is just an all around nice dude who loves to play the guitar. I met him at a club once and the guy was beyond nice as hell and he will talk guitars with you till you are both blue in the face!!

That said, Although Ed D will disagree with me, the cult of personality lead is on my alltime {censored} list as far as solos go. I don;t care what anyone says it will always be a WTF were you thinking lead to me and I'm never gonna change my opinion. great tune almost ruined by the lead IMHO.

Yeah Im thinking WTF on that lead in paticular also. I know he is a nice guy and has later more talented offerings.But those two Living Color cd's have some abrasive lead tones and work IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

Actually Cult Of took even me a lot of getting used to. A bit too much reckless abandon. That said his Mistaken identity CD is one of my 10 Desert Island discs.

• Members

Originally posted by V-Type

I know this kinda a apples and oranges type of deal but I just listened to a couple of Living Color discs Ive had. In paticular I was listening closer to the guitar tones and playing. Im am less than amazed and find his lead tone horrid and his lead playing to be very undynamic and bordeline in the realm of a Kerry King in the lead dept. Ive also found that the rest of the band was very solid and deserved more of the credit for their success IMO. The Cult of personality lead is Meh at best. Yet I dug them when they first came out.
:freak:

+1,0000000000

• Members

Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro

Actually Cult Of took even me a lot of getting used to. A bit too much reckless abandon. That said his Mistaken identity CD is one of my 10 Desert Island discs.

Very cool Ed!! Im not familiar with that disc and I'll have to check it out!:thu:

• Members

I like the COP solo. It has that out of control, in your face sense of urgency to it. Manic whammy bar wanking that gets you with that note that you don't expect and a good clear tone.

At least he had an identity and is not trying to be Eddie or Malmsteen for fuck sakes like so many others.

Its not an easy task to make those whammy scoops and dives cohesive and his rhythm playing is very cool too.:p

• Members

Originally posted by frtbzz

I like the COP solo. It has that out of control, in your face sense of urgency to it. Manic whammy bar wanking that gets you with that note that you don't expect and a good clear tone.

At least he had an identity and is not trying to be Eddie or Malmsteen for fuck sakes like so many others.

Its not an easy task to make those whammy scoops and dives cohesive and his rhythm playing is very cool too.
:p

I'm sure he could just shred with the best of them , but he's going for a more dynamic feel with his style and ,yes sometimes it does sound like reckless abandonment , but I dig it :thu:

• Members

Im listening to COP again I swear he is trying to shred but it doesnt sound like he's pulling it off to me. Unless thats what hes going for. Im gonna have to get the Cd that ED suggested earlier. The LC Riffs are cool but these leads are :freak: .

• Members

Originally posted by Digital Jams

He is far more than his LC stuff for one thing and he is a better player than most of the other guys that are placed on thrones by the masses here.

+1

He's always been one of my favorite guitarists. He's background is much more avant-jazz, than rock, the atonality, expressionist sheets of sound and unusuall phraseing are all on purpose... I chuckle anytime I hear someone accuse him of playing random notes.

Btw, Masque, his fusion band, is very good. 'Known Unknown' is a great guitar album.

Archived