SPLAWN CABINETS: Best speakers for the QR?

guitarist17

• Members

I'm getting ready to order a splawn cabinet, But i'm not sure which speakers to load it with. I have absolutely no expierence with the eminence stuff that comes in the splawn cabs (the governor/manowar speakers i believe), so I am quite hesitant to purchase a cab with those speakers. I heard an engl cab with my QR with V60's and it was the best I have ever heard my QR sound. V30's: It seems i'm getting tired of.

what do you folks with splawn heads and cabs like in your 4x12's with the QR for rip your face off metal? Tightness I'm not really worried about, as the QR is an incredibly tight amp.I'd like a cab that is somewhat balanced sounding and lets the sound of the QR out, not much coloring of the tone I guess you could say is what I'm after. Nice thick, tight brutal crunch: no shrieking highs or honky mids especially either.

chris

• Members

Originally posted by dropthisd

GB's. I think shreder75+1
:D
can help you out with the details. There are MANY Celestion and Eminence speakers that will sound great.

thanks guys.......Problem is, there are almost TOO MANY choices, and its becoming overwhelming fast. that and the fact that I haven't really played a 4x12 with anything other than V30's, V60's, or GT 75's.... :(

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by guitarist17

thanks guys.......Problem is, there are almost TOO MANY choices, and its becoming overwhelming fast. that and the fact that I haven't really played a 4x12 with anything other than V30's, V60's, or GT 75's....
:(

Chris

Honestly all Splawn owners all are plagued with that dilhema ;). But GB really are a fine match. I have a front loaded Framus 4x12 GB cab. I love the sounds my kt88 Comp cops, with that cab. There is another overlooked inexpensive speaker; the Carvin G12T.

• Members

Honestly all Splawn owners all are plagued with that dilhema
;)
. But GB really are a fine match. I have a front loaded Framus 4x12 GB cab. I love the sounds my kt88 Comp cops, with that cab. There is another overlooked inexpensive speaker; the Carvin G12T.

what about CL80's? Beaunasty on the forums( i own his old QR) loved his Cl80 loaded cab. I think I played through that cab at our ampfest, but i was a wee bit tipsy :D

Chris

• Members

what about CL80's? Beaunasty on the forums( i own his old QR) loved his Cl80 loaded cab. I think I played through that cab at our ampfest, but i was a wee bit tipsy :

Chris

Shreder has tried the CL80 and I believe didn't care for them. Forumite Dark Angel (Jon) jammed over at my place couple weekends back. We played the Framus and my Splawn 2x12 w/V30s cranked and it was very punishing. He and his friend were playing some very heavy riffs and grinning ear to ear.

• Members

Shreder has tried the CL80 and I believe didn't care for them. Forumite Dark Angel (Jon) jammed over at my place couple weekends back. We played the Framus and my Splawn 2x12 w/V30s cranked and it was very punishing. He and his friend were playing some very heavy riffs and grinning ear to ear.

about the CL80s...they sounded really good in Vlad's THD open back 2x12, but I didn't dig them so much in my splawn 2x12...now that I have the weber 1265s in there I couldn't be happier with that cab...

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

about the CL80s...they sounded really good in Vlad's THD open back 2x12, but I didn't dig them so much in my splawn 2x12...now that I have the weber 1265s in there I couldn't be happier with that cab...

Are your 1265's ceramic or alnico?

• Members

Are your 1265's ceramic or alnico?

ceramic...i got them on the bigtime cheap from troublehead....decided to take a chance on them...I originally wanted the celestion 65 watters, but they were too friggin' expensive....so when I saw trouble selling his webbers I figured I'd try them out....they friggin' rock!

• Members

My 4x12 is in the studio if you want to try it out with g12-75's.

I just ordered one texas heat to try it out for The Seven Sisters.

The g12-75's are not really the best mix for my Mk III and I am looking to ofload some soon.

Its 8ohm.

• Members

Originally posted by thefyn

My 4x12 is in the studio if you want to try it out with g12-75's.

I just ordered one texas heat to try it out for The Seven Sisters.

The g12-75's are not really the best mix for my Mk III and I am looking to ofload some soon.

Its 8ohm.

ive got the 75's in my marshall cab. and i have that randall cab with v30's. Honestly I like the 75's more with the QR than the V30 loaded cab. I'll sell you that dead mint randall 4x12 with V30's ridiculously cheap if your interested, I'm gonna pick up a splawn cab as you can see :D

chris

• Members

thanks guys.......Problem is, there are almost TOO MANY choices, and its becoming overwhelming fast. that and the fact that I haven't really played a 4x12 with anything other than V30's, V60's, or GT 75's....
:(

Chris

{censored}ing I hear ya. Too many choices with too few real descriptions of what speakers sound like. "It sounds like a Greenback but with more bass, more mids and more treble" - yeesh.

I actually really like my Pro Mod with my VHT P50E cab. Its a very clear, upfront sound, with tight bass, unhyped mids, and great detail. Sounds far less middy than my V30s, a little more treble-y than GT12-75Ts, but less harsh.

I have a Krank cab with Texas Heats and I {censored}ing hate it. Wanna buy it? :idea::thu:

• Members

Originally posted by MikeyD-gtr

A mix of hellatone 60L's and CL80's or hellatone 30's just crush.

Yep! I was there when it happened. This was one of the biggest, fattest, meatiest tones I've ever heard. It was just plain brutal. The Hellatone 60Ls and CL80s are currently in my cab too. Now I need to get a Splawn to complete the package. :thu:

Archived