when recording do you turn gain down on amp?

Lucius

• Members

anyone care to listen to this and tell me if it sounds like too much gain?

http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead_thieves.mp3

i tried for the longest time to get a good heavy rhtyhm tone, with less gain and there was always something lacking...i came up with this when i cranked the gain a few notches higher than usual, not totally nailing the tone i'm after but it's my favorite recorded tone to date

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

anyone care to listen to this and tell me if it sounds like too much gain?

i tried for the longest time to get a good heavy rhtyhm tone, with less gain and there was always something lacking...i came up with this when i cranked the gain a few notches higher than usual, not totally nailing the tone i'm after but it's my favorite recorded tone to date

I think that's fine. It's just a tad dark. That's not so bad, it's just that with vocals, the guitars may get kind of lost. Does it sound brighter in the room? You should try leaving it like that and micing it so that you get a sound out of it that is brighter in some manner, and see how that works out. You could just turn up mids/treble/presence or something, but that's probably not the best answer on its own. Then it'd probably get all fizzy.

• Members
Originally posted by Lucius

When you are recording do keep the sames settings as you would if you played live? I found that I have to keep the gain waayy down or else it sounds really fizzy when I record but it sounds pretty good (imo) live.

Comments Anyone? Cheers Lucius

I adjust it to the tone I want.

• Members
Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

I think that's fine. It's just a tad dark. That's not so bad, it's just that with vocals, the guitars may get kind of lost. Does it sound brighter in the room? You should try leaving it like that and micing it so that you get a sound out of it that is brighter in some manner, and see how that works out. You could just turn up mids/treble/presence or something, but that's probably not the best answer on its own. Then it'd probably get all fizzy.

i've actually got the presence slightly higher than what i normally run, and the treble ran a good bit higher as well...i think it's the cheapo preamps on our mixing board, because i can never get the high end presence to sound right on any recording of anything :(

hopefully we'll have the firepod soon tho, and can scrap that old alesis

• Members
Originally posted by Paragraph51

You turn it down until the sound is defined, articulate, clear and focused sounding. You also do that with the bass control, so you aren't cluttering up the low end, so the kick drum and the bass guitar can be clearly heard.

exactly right friend. check my sig for the sound i'm getting with my Fireball..

however you set your amp when playing alone in your bedroom, pretty much do the polar opposite when recording :)

think about it, if you're recording 4 tracks of rhythm guitar, each with a very moderate level of gain, those will all sum together, giving the perception of a tone with loads of gain.

when I solo just one track of my tone in a mix, it doesn't sound how I'd expect, or how I'd dial in the amp when jamming. this is the vital part here..

• Members
Originally posted by Lucius

When you are recording do keep the sames settings as you would if you played live? I found that I have to keep the gain waayy down or else it sounds really fizzy when I record but it sounds pretty good (imo) live.

Comments Anyone? Cheers Lucius

That is exactly why vintage non master amps sound so good on tape..... because the player can control the balance between clean and clipped notes with his pick attack ..... no fizz, but just a solid powertube crunch that has all the beautiful harmonics, dynamics and overtones ........ :love: :love: :love:

Of course, it's more work to learn how to play an amp that way, but the payoff is worth it. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by Dr. Tweedbucket

That is exactly why vintage non master amps sound so good on tape..... because the player can control the balance between clean and clipped notes with his pick attack ..... no fizz, but just a solid powertube crunch that has all the beautiful harmonics, dynamics and overtones ........
:love:

Of course, it's more work to learn how to play an amp that way, but the payoff is worth it.
:cool:

Hi :)

Oranges are good for you :) Yes they are :love:

:wave::) :)

Archived