when recording do you turn gain down on amp?

Lucius

• Members

When you are recording do keep the sames settings as you would if you played live? I found that I have to keep the gain waayy down or else it sounds really fizzy when I record but it sounds pretty good (imo) live.

Comments Anyone? Cheers Lucius

• Members

For lowering agin, I only just started putting that into practice and am glad I did.

Also..If you are having fizz, turn the mic a little bit and dont point it straight at the cone as you seem to get more bass roll off and less fizz.

• Members

Originally posted by Lucius

When you are recording do keep the sames settings as you would if you played live? I found that I have to keep the gain waayy down or else it sounds really fizzy when I record but it sounds pretty good (imo) live.

Comments Anyone? Cheers Lucius

I usually drop a lot of gain during recording ryhthm tracks, but I'll also record at least one other track and pan them so you get a lot of depth back.

For leads I'll leave the gain where it is and compress it a bit.

$0.02

• Members

Originally posted by danhops

less gain = more balls IMHO

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

playing live or recording is the opposite of playing along a CD in your bedroom, you need almost no gain and A LOT of mids.

Check the clip in my signature, it is channel 4 of my powerball with gain almost all the way down and mids maxxed out.

• Members

If we're gonna double/multi track stuff, definitely back it down for most of the rhythm tracks. We've also done most of the rhythm tracks like that, then gone back, bumped the gain a good bit but keeping it sounding decent.... then WAY lay back on the playing, usually whole notes, and push that track down in the mix, but it adds a good base for the other tracks to work over.

But, I'm not expert at this, YMMV.

• Members

Originally posted by blckbldng

playing live or recording is the opposite of playing along a CD in your bedroom, you need almost no gain and A LOT of mids.

I've been trying to cram that idea in the head of Megadeth543632868 for so long....but he just thinks I'm ignorant...poor him....he's missing out a lot.

• Members
Originally posted by Snakebite20

I've been trying to cram that idea in the head of Megadeth543632868 for so long....but he just thinks I'm ignorant...poor him....he's missing out a lot.

But Mega produces some of the best "high gain" recordings on this board.:confused: I certainly ain't a fanboy of Megas but the boy can definately record nice sounding guitar tracks. OF course we all remember the $1600 peavey supreme ;)
But bringing down the gain certainly worked for my guitar tone. (I should find that clip of my rockmaster with my "live" gain setting :eek:.
Cheers Lucius

• Members

i use the same setting i have for live.

i agree that less is sometimes more though.

on my 6100lm i back off my lead channel gain to about 8 anyway so it doesn't sound tooo compressed.

with the rhythm channel i have it in mode B (JCM 800) with the gain at about 8

• Members

Originally posted by adiohead

i use the same setting i have for live.

i agree that less is sometimes more though.

on my 6100lm i back off my lead channel gain to about 8 anyway so it doesn't sound tooo compressed.

with the rhythm channel i have it in mode B (JCM 800) with the gain at about 8

How close is that 6100 rhythm channel to a JCM800? Your recording snippets on the myspace are pretty good. And that chick in your band is hot. Cheers Lucius

• Members

How close is that 6100 rhythm channel to a JCM800? Your recording snippets on the myspace are pretty good. And that chick in your band is hot. Cheers Lucius

Not to steal someone else's question... but, my experience with my two 6100s is that the approx gain level is there, but the feel is different.

• Members

But Mega produces some of the best "high gain" recordings on this board.
:confused:
I certainly ain't a fanboy of Megas but the boy can definately record nice sounding guitar tracks. OF course we all remember the $1600 peavey supreme
;)
But bringing down the gain certainly worked for my guitar tone. (I should find that clip of my rockmaster with my "live" gain setting
:eek:

Cheers Lucius

Nah...Megas clips always have that buzzy 5150 gained to the max aproach.

He needs to turn the gain down more. I loved his "Maiden" clips. Which were gain city unlike Maidens.

• Members

it depends on the situation...i find that i tend to use more gain and low end when recording than i do live, because it sounds better to me, and is easier to work with

in a live situation too much gain and low end can mud up a mix quickly, so i tend to use less of both

• Members

I dont use a crazy amount of gain so I dont really need to ever change my settings... However.... Depending on the room etc everything can change.

I listen to what it sounds like on tape, and I make changes accordingly. However, everytime Ive recorded Ive alwaus used a an old Marshall, and ive never once had a problem getting a good tone. Most of the time I just slap a 57 on the grill and go...

• Members

Originally posted by blckbldng

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Check the clip in my signature, it is channel 4 of my powerball with gain almost all the way down and mids maxxed out.

Those guitars sound completely BREWTAL {censored}ING FULL ON METAL!!!!!! m/:evil:m/

• Members

Originally posted by thefyn

Nah...Megas clips always have that buzzy 5150 gained to the max aproach.

He needs to turn the gain down more. I loved his "Maiden" clips. Which were gain city unlike Maidens.

his blackmore clips are the best. probably cause it's the best amp of the bunch. though, i don't know if i heard any einstein clips??

• Members

Originally posted by thefyn

What eludes me is the MOP sound. It was high gain but still had that saturated growl...HOW DID THEY DO IT!!???

Stupid talent and skill.

I may be way off the mark, but tape saturation may have played a part in that. I still have an old reel to reel that I mess with here and there and I prefer the sound of my rhythm guitar on that over my digital recordings.

• Members

Originally posted by thenakedarab

Those guitars sound completely BREWTAL {censored}ING FULL ON METAL!!!!!! m/:evil:m/

{censored}ing hell yeah the best powerball clip ive heard so far. Normally the lower notes sound extremely saturated and clinical on powerball recordings, but this just sounds like balls (in a good way)

its just a fact that REAL heavy tones come from the playing and not the amount of gain. Playing with really high gain makes the playing sloppy and less heavy than you might think.

Archived