Oh yes, I just got a new job

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

So they tell me to come in at 9 and to expect an hour and a half long interview, possibly an hour if I'm fast. I get there, and get home (with a 15 minute drive) by 9:40, and by 10 they already called to tell me I'm in, pending drug test.

"They" happens to be Cingular Wireless... I get to sit down and take phone calls all day. Kinda sucks, but I've been having serious back problems from all the garbage they have me doing at the Grocery store I work at. I am getting a pretty nice pay raise, and about double the hours I was previously getting. All in all I will be making on average here what I used to almost make on a 40 hour holiday week before.

I might not have to sell the Bogner! Thats the biggest plus out of everything! I might anyway tho, so I have an excuse to try out a rev. blue, but having the ability to decide if I want to or not is a beautiful thing... if there was a ::whew:: type of emoticon, I'd be using about 90 of them right now.

Time to go piss in a cup and pray to god all those detox drinks really work! :D:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

"They" happens to be Cingular Wireless... I get to sit down and take phone calls all day.

Congrats on the job man, I used to do something similar but for Verizon Wireless. You'll definitely learn some good skills.

• Members
Originally posted by decode6

Is it Alorica?

:confused:

I'm probably gonna get fat... running around the sales floor at Albertsons was all the exercise I needed. I have flat feet and back problems, so that was all I ever could take anyway...

I'm probably gonna spend all my extra money on a gym membership so I don't end up a greasy slob. I know three guys who work there and two of them blew up like 30 pounds and the other one lost a ton of weight but he's into Coke and crazy stuff now... He's all twitchy and bone skinney so there might even be more than just coke in his system unless he's on it constantly... I dunno, I rather not know anyway, that stuff is depressing.

• Members

"They" happens to be Cingular Wireless...

HA HA!! Prepare for hell!!
That was my last job and boy does it suck. At first it's not bad, but after you've taken your 1000th call in which someone asks you how to setup their voicemail, you'll know what I'm talking about.

The worst part about that job is that they are always moving you from one team to another and you keep getting these different managers all the time. If you get a manager you like, the only thing you can do is bid onto the shift he does everytime he changes shifts. This usually means you're working stupid hours and working Saturdays, but at first you'll be working Saturdays anyway.

Their policies are a real bitch and when you're the middle guy between the customer and the company and neither side treats you with any respect it can get a little frustrating. It's a fun job sometimes, but more often than not it's a pain.

It is nice to get free cell phone service though. :D

• Members

I'm probably gonna get fat... running around the sales floor at Albertsons was all the exercise I needed. I have flat feet and back problems, so that was all I ever could take anyway...

I'm probably gonna spend all my extra money on a gym membership so I don't end up a greasy slob. I know three guys who work there and two of them blew up like 30 pounds

Haha, that's exactly what happens, you're locked to a cubicle (if even that) tied to the phone all day. It's a something to put on the resume, but I couldn't take it for all that long. What are you going to be doing, customer care or tech support?

• Members

Originally posted by decode6

Is it Alorica?

I just googled it, and no it's Cingular Wireless, an in house call center.

I guess Alec Baldwin called like 2 weeks ago pissed off because they shut his cell phone service off... haha, the bastard makes all that money and still doesn't pay his bill.

Apparently he was a prick of legendary proportions.

• Members
Originally posted by charliedango

It is nice to get free cell phone service though.
:D

See, I didn't even know it was completely free... for a family plan too?? The security gaurd mentioned it, but none of the interviewers said anything, kinda wierd.

oh, and I'm labeled a customer service representative, but it looks like I'll be handling tech support too... Kinda seems like you get trained for anything and everything.

Originally posted by AgentOrange

72.jpg

that's a pretty axe man, but what a wierd pick up config...

• Members

See, I didn't even know it was completely free... for a family plan too?? The security gaurd mentioned it, but none of the interviewers said anything, kinda wierd.

When I worked there they didn't offer free family plans, they just gave you two lines, one with 1000 free minutes and the other with 500 (I had to pay extra for night and weekend minutes to be added to my account). Thing are probably different now. I know the CWA contract was being negotiated shortly before I left so I don't really know what has changed and what has stayed the same.

oh, and I'm labeled a customer service representative, but it looks like I'll be handling tech support too... Kinda seems like you get trained for anything and everything.

You'll handle some tech stuff like reprogramming phones, sending updates through the network, etc.., but the actual tech support guys don't talk directly with customers. That's assuming they still have tier 2 tech support anymore..things change fast at Cingular.

The one thing I can tell you is that even though you have the internet, be careful when you view it. They were so anal about everyone working when I was there that they recorded everything you did on your computer during calls and up to 2 minutes after the call ended. I got my ass chewed out for filling out an application online after a call once. The best part was the application was for a tech support job with VERIZON. HA HA!!!

It wasn't funny having to sit in the team manager's office watching the recording of me filling out the app, but I always look back on that as a hilarious moment (especially when I got out of it).

Not to go on and on, but they really should have a section in their company policies and procedures for me. I spent a good year dodging calls, I {censored} you not. Play with the phone system when you get there. You might find some loopholes just like I did.
:thu:

• Members

Congrats man, its bound to ebe pretty good money too!

Yeah I tried the call center route a while back, wasn't for me, so I just this week got a new job in a co-op (supermarket here) stacking shelves etc. ......the moneys not great but its easy work that gives me a bit of excercise; a chance to work on my "guns":D

Anyways congrats again, hope it goes well:thu:

• Members

So they tell me to come in at 9 and to expect an hour and a half long interview, possibly an hour if I'm fast. I get there, and get home (with a 15 minute drive) by 9:40, and by 10 they already called to tell me I'm in, pending drug test.

"They" happens to be Cingular Wireless... I get to sit down and take phone calls all day. Kinda sucks, but I've been having serious back problems from all the garbage they have me doing at the Grocery store I work at. I am getting a pretty nice pay raise, and about double the hours I was previously getting. All in all I will be making on average here what I used to
almost
make on a 40 hour holiday week before.

I might not have to sell the Bogner! Thats the biggest plus out of everything! I might anyway tho, so I have an excuse to try out a rev. blue, but having the ability to decide if I want to or not is a beautiful thing... if there was a ::whew:: type of emoticon, I'd be using about 90 of them right now.

Time to go piss in a cup and pray to god all those detox drinks really work!
:D:thu:

An hour and 1/2 long interview for a freakin csr position? What'd they expect to ask you, your whole life's story? :confused:

:o

:freak:

• Members
Originally posted by The Tone Snob

An hour and 1/2 long interview for a freakin csr position? What'd they expect to ask you, your whole life's story?

I thought that was amusing, generally the attrition rate's so high that they're not in a position to be ultra-selective with recruiting.

• Members

Originally posted by des67

Congrats man, its bound to ebe pretty good money too!

Yeah I tried the call center route a while back, wasn't for me, so I just this week got a new job in a co-op (supermarket here) stacking shelves etc. ......the moneys not great but its easy work that gives me a bit of excercise; a chance to work on my "guns":D

Anyways congrats again, hope it goes well:thu:

So you went to gorcery from a call center and I'm coming from grocery to a call center, that's amusing... Be prepared to lose some weight man, I sure did. But here, if they catch you walking you are gonna get yelled at. Especially on night crew, which is when the stocking is done...

I was a Frozen Manager for a while, basically meaning I was a team of one guy, and that was one of the worst positions I've ever had. I had to do all the ordering, all the stocking, and all the inventory, pretty much if it had to come through the back doors and it was frozen, I had everything to do with it. They paid me 7.70 an hour for that. Considering they took 40 bucks a month out for union dues plus the usual tax rape, that was a pretty {censored}ty deal

My new set of bosses at Albertsons are a joke, but if I had my old boss back I probably would have stayed. I like grocery, I just got tired of seeing all the idiots get promoted over me because they managed not to get run over on the way to work and got hired before me... On top of that, I went from 32-36 hours a week to 26. I hung around till 2 other checkers left and my hours got cut even more... go figure.

• Members
Originally posted by The Tone Snob

An hour and 1/2 long interview for a freakin csr position? What'd they expect to ask you, your whole life's story?

If it's like I remember it's too interviews in one. First is technical proficiency and competency test because If you can't past that then they don't even bother giving you the sit down interview. The second is the sit down and that only takes a few minutes.

• Members

So you went to gorcery from a call center and I'm coming from grocery
to
a call center, that's amusing... Be prepared to lose some weight man, I sure did. But here, if they catch you walking you are gonna get yelled at. Especially on night crew, which is when the stocking is done...

Ha yeah thats true, it's weird though, despite the fact that this store does have night shift workers in, we still do all the stocking during the day:confused:

Before the call center (doing customer service/tech queries for a satelite tv company called sky over here) I worked in another supermarket, really shouldnt have left in the first place:(

The call center thing is great for simply saving up some cash though. The recorded converstaions and call evaluation is a bitch though:mad:

• Members
Originally posted by ChS

I thought that was amusing, generally the attrition rate's so high that they're not in a position to be ultra-selective with recruiting.

I kinda thought so too... I live in a small town, I think we are somewhere between 45 and 60k people, and apparently there are between 1,200 and 1,400 people out at the call station... They have ridiculous amounts of turnover, so I figured as long as I didn't walk in with a forty in my hand and do a bump off my resume right in front of him, I'd have it... I had to do 2 interviews and a looooong ass test (3 hours long, and I finished first) tho and that suprised the hell out of me.

I don't know how it was there, but I have to do 4 months of training before I can even pick up a phone, so maybe all the interviews and tests are because of the turn over and the expenses attached to training

• Members

I don't know how it was there, but I have to do 4 months of training before I can even pick up a phone.

4 MONTHS!!!

I call BS on that. We only got 4 weeks.

Not calling BS on you, but on Cingular. Man, I wish they trained us for 4 months before we hit the floor. That would have been EZ money!

• Members
Originally posted by '63-Strat

LOL
:thu:

I'm no pothead by any means, so I'm not particularly worried, but it was about a week ago so I needed some "help"

I blew 30 bucks because I took some for my first interview thinking thats all there was gonna be... haha, so I'm somewhere near 70 bucks into detox stuff now, not sure if it's worth it, shoulda just stayed clean.

When I applied for the position I wasn't really thinking I'd get it or want it, so I kinda half assed it because I was so pissed off at my bosses, and then a day or two after a smoke they call me to schedule an interview. :freak:

Should have expected it I guess, haha, thats just kinda how it goes

• Members

I don't know how it was there, but I have to do 4 months of training before I can even pick up a phone, so maybe all the interviews and tests are
because
of the turn over and the expenses attached to training

Wow, four months of training, you're going to be handling a lot more types of calls than I did. But four months of paid-training is awesome. There are people that aren't bothered at all working the call center, I wasn't one of them. Expect that it'll take you about a month or more to really get into the groove working the phones and feel like you know what you're doing.

Archived