Battle of the Rectos (RK, 2ch, 3ch, Racktifier)

FWAxeIbanez

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really, everyone is going on about how the older 2 channels are better. But i've never noticed a difference. I've played through 2-channel and 3-channels and they both sounded pretty much the same to me.

Prehaps if i spent more time with them i'd hear it though...

What's the Road King like compared to the 2 channels then?

• Members

Originally posted by Chudanez

Really, everyone is going on about how the older 2 channels are better. But i've never noticed a difference. I've played through 2-channel and 3-channels and they both sounded pretty much the same to me.

Prehaps if i spent more time with them i'd hear it though...

What's the Road King like compared to the 2 channels then?

From my brief experience, the Road King has the same ch4 as the Recto ch3, only perhaps a little more refined, but ch3/vintage seems more like my 2 channels orange/vintage, as opposed to the 3 ch Recto's ch2/vintage.

• Members

I recently got this, and it sounds killer, better than any other recto I have owned or played, and that would be almost all of them other than the Road King I or II...the Roadster gets my vote, just for the Brit voicing on channel two and the extra channel for a total of 4.

mesaroadster.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Tonemeister69

Interesting.

The problem still remains.

If I go from a dirty rhythm sounds to a lead tone I still need to hit 2 swtiches....solo boost and something in the loop...

I think I'm willing to sacrifice a slightly 'lesser' tone for a lot more versatility...

Go MIDI and then you'll only have to hit 1 switch.

• Members
Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

I honestly think my current Single Recto series II is the best sounding Recto head I`ve ever played through. The best clean tones by far and the heavier tones kill with the lower power curve. I seem to be able to run my Single at about 1.5 notches higher on the master volume than the Duals I`ve tried. It seems to "open up" a little earlier, although the volume difference is negligable.

The only "bad" thing about the Single is the lack of a third channel. To me it`s a little easier to set up the three channel Rectos in a live situation. The Single can easily do it, but takes some judicious tweaking to make it work for different rhythm and lead tones.

Eric

I've got a Rectoverb on the way. What you've said here is what I've been reading in most reviews. That people dig the Single Rec. I need no more than 50 watts for gigs, even on big stages. I am a single channel user that uses the volume knob on the guitar for cleans and hits a Keeley TS-9 or DS-1 Ultra for leads. I hope I really dig this amp.
I have read some reviews regarding the effects loop. Some people have problems with them. Do you? Will I be able to run a DD-5 Delay pedal through the loop with no problems?
Thanks for any info.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by reprove

The racktifiers have always blown me away. AFI and From Autumn to Ashes still use theirs. I think they should reissue them.

If i had the scratch, I would own one in a minute.

1. Ractifiers

2. Blackface 2 channels

3. Roadking

4. Three channel.

no experience with the roadsters just yet.

The 'blackface' was a cosmetic option. I know that my early 2 channel had the black grill/chrome chassis, but you could order it on later 2 channel models also.

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by Tonemeister69

Interesting.

The problem still remains.

If I go from a dirty rhythm sounds to a lead tone I still need to hit 2 swtiches....solo boost and something in the loop...

I think I'm willing to sacrifice a slightly 'lesser' tone for a lot more versatility...

The problem with the 3ch Rectos seems to be on CH3 MODERN mostly. People coment on how it sounds so much buzzier than CH2 on either the 2CH and 3CH models. The problem is the hyperactive presence knob. On CH3 with the presence knob at 10 o'clock, it's the same as having the presence knob fully cranked on CH2. With that said, I get massively fat, cutting tones out of my 3CH Triple with these settings:

Gain: 1 o'clock

Presence: 10-11 o'clock

Bass: 1-2 o'clock

Mids: 12-1 o'clock

Treble: 12-1 o'clock

I keep the OUTPUT knob close to noon and it sounds much better, much more open. Keep the mids up close to the treble setting and it sounds awesome. I use Tung-Sol and C9 tubes in the preamp and SED 6L6s running in the EL34/Bold/Tube rec. modes.

I still would love to try a Single though, with it's lower wattage. I usually use only two channels anyway, Clean and Dirty.

Does the Single really sound fatter/tighter at lower volumes than the Dual/Triple?

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

I had an early two channel and two racktifiers - I thought the racktifiers sounded beefier with more clarity. No mud, just a lot of low end. Kings X 'Dogman' is what my two racktifiers sounded like.

Pete

Yeah Pete I have a buddy in town that has a rackmount DR and it always sounds killer.

• Members

The dualrectifier rackmount heads could be considered "better" only because they required significantly more hand wiring and design changes to fit everything into a smaller rack width chassis. Additionally, some of the components were a little higher quality to withstand the inherant rigors of rack life.

• Members
Originally posted by BrokenRomeo

I recently got this, and it sounds killer, better than any other recto I have owned or played, and that would be almost all of them other than the Road King I or II...the Roadster gets my vote, just for the Brit voicing on channel two and the extra channel for a total of 4.

mesaroadster.jpg

That looks sharp as hell! :thu:

• Members

I love my 2-channel. Mine's got an adjustable bias mod which helps tremendously imo. It's clearer, tighter, and more consistant than other other Recto's that I've heard.

Btw, the differences between the Blackface models and the Chrome models are purely cosmetic.

• Members
Originally posted by BadRonald

I've got a Rectoverb on the way. What you've said here is what I've been reading in most reviews. That people dig the Single Rec. I need no more than 50 watts for gigs, even on big stages. I am a single channel user that uses the volume knob on the guitar for cleans and hits a Keeley TS-9 or DS-1 Ultra for leads. I hope I really dig this amp.

I have read some reviews regarding the effects loop. Some people have problems with them. Do you? Will I be able to run a DD-5 Delay pedal through the loop with no problems?

Thanks for any info.
:cool:

^

• Members

Thanks for any info.

I have no problems with delay in my loop. It`s one of the f/x types that works really well with a parallel loop. Reverb also works pretty well. The only pedal I had much trouble out of was my EVH Phase 90. It would knock the signal level down when ingaged. I just moved it to the front of the amp and it`s fine.

Eric

• Members
Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

I have no problems with delay in my loop. It`s one of the f/x types that works really well with a parallel loop. Reverb also works pretty well. The only pedal I had much trouble out of was my EVH Phase 90. It would knock the signal level down when ingaged. I just moved it to the front of the amp and it`s fine.

Eric

Thanks for the info. Is your delay a pedal delay? Does the loop work well with pedals or is it set up for rackmount gear?
Thanks.:cool:

• Members

Thanks for the info. Is your delay a pedal delay? Does the loop work well with pedals or is it set up for rackmount gear?

Thanks.

I've always used a G-Major in my two Rectos, but have always been tempted to switch to just a DD-20. If anyone here has used a Boss delay with the 2 channel Rectos, I wanna know how you got on.

Btw, I read on here that my Blackface has a serial loop, identified by the attatched power cord, small logo and the fact it's a 92. Correct?

• Members

since I work at a Mesa dealer, I have played tons of different Rectos. Singles, Duals, Triples, Rectoverbs, the new Roadster, etc.... I have owned an early Tremoverb, and a Road King (series I). So aside from a Racktifier, I pretty much have the bases covered.

From what I have played, the Roadster takes it. Followed closely by the Roadking, and then the Tremoverb. After that, I like the sound of the Duals (2 or 3 channel).

The triple is my least favorite. It always has just sounded like a pile of mud at any volume.

• Members

Originally posted by Random Hero

I've always used a G-Major in my two Rectos, but have always been tempted to switch to just a DD-20. If anyone here has used a Boss delay with the 2 channel Rectos, I wanna know how you got on.

I've been using a Dan Echo with mine and I'm having a hell of a time with the loop. I run my DR a little differently; I use Orange/Modern for rhythm and Red/Modern for lead. I've got the loop set up on the red channel only. I like the Dan Echo ok, but I'm wondering if I can get a better sound from a rack unit or maybe a butter built floor unit.

Archived