Battle of the Rectos (RK, 2ch, 3ch, Racktifier)

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

So has anybody played all of these? I'm speaking specifically of Dual Rectos... What order would you place them in as far as tone? I have never played a 2 channeler or a Racktifier, and the Roadking I tried must have been broken because it was god awful. I'll put it in the order I expect them to be in, and you tell me if you think I'm right or wrong. (Please :D)

Roadking (Roadster Counts too I'd say)

Racktifier

2 Channel

3 Channel

I'm getting a Racktifier from a fellow forumite I think, and I want to know what to expect. I can't wait to see how much better it is from my 3 channeler...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

So how is the 2ch compared to the Racktifier? Basically the same exact thing? Or no?

I had an early two channel and two racktifiers - I thought the racktifiers sounded beefier with more clarity. No mud, just a lot of low end. Kings X 'Dogman' is what my two racktifiers sounded like.

Pete

• Members

I have owned 2ch and 3ch dual rectos, and my favriote out of those two has to be the two channel. Seems more organic sounding and I didn't use the 2nd channel on the 3ch dual.

I might get {censored} for this, but I like the single recto's better then the dual recto's. Something about them sound better to my ears. My rectoverb is my favriote amp and I have owned over 20 amps. I know I will not get rid of it, maybe add another head to my rig but not sell it :)

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

I had an early two channel and two racktifiers - I thought the racktifiers sounded beefier with more clarity. No mud, just a lot of low end. Kings X 'Dogman' is what my two racktifiers sounded like.

Pete

that song has stupid heavy tone too... every time I hear that chug part I start laughing :love:

• Members

Originally posted by mikenothing

I have owned 2ch and 3ch dual rectos, and my favriote out of those two has to be the two channel. Seems more organic sounding and I didn't use the 2nd channel on the 3ch dual.

I might get {censored} for this, but I like the single recto's better then the dual recto's. Something about them sound better to my ears. My rectoverb is my favriote amp and I have owned over 20 amps. I know I will not get rid of it, maybe add another head to my rig but not sell it
:)

On 3 channels, Ch2 > Ch3 IMO.

• Members

1. 2-channel

2. Rack

3. Roadking

4. 3-channel

I think the racktifier and 2-channel are the same thing, the 3-channel may have a nice clean but they changed the sound a bit from what I have heard, Roadkings are nice, really nice, but for that price you could get a used 2-channel ANNND another nice amp.

• Members

Originally posted by Random Hero

Yes.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the 3 channel?

I did like it actually... all the things they say about needing to crank it are true tho, as I'm sure you know. It was a tad undefined, but I think I'm a bit better with dialing in amps these days so I'm ready to try again.

the true reason I sold it was to get the bogner...

How much are racktifiers going for now tho? I'm thinking I'm getting kind of a bad deal now, would you say they are worth 1,400 or less?

• Members

So has anybody played all of these? I'm speaking specifically of Dual Rectos... What order would you place them in as far as tone? I have never played a 2 channeler or a Racktifier, and the Roadking I tried must have been broken because it was god awful. I'll put it in the order I expect them to be in, and you tell me if you think I'm right or wrong. (Please
:D
)

Roadking (Roadster Counts too I'd say)

Racktifier

2 Channel

3 Channel

I'm getting a Racktifier from a fellow forumite I think, and I want to know what to expect. I can't wait to see how much better it is from my 3 channeler...

Hopefully Dale B. will chime in on this thread, he knows ALOT about this topic :D

• Members

So how is the 2ch compared to the Racktifier? Basically the same exact thing? Or no?

Racktos are slightly tighter and less muddy than other 2 channels, although to be honest the differences are subtle. It shouldn't be terribly difficult to find one used, although they are certainly getting scarcer. I paid $1500 for mine a few years ago with flight case.

• Members

I did like it actually... all the things they say about needing to crank it are true tho, as I'm sure you know. It was a tad undefined, but I think I'm a bit better with dialing in amps these days so I'm ready to try again.

the true reason I sold it was to get the bogner...

How much are racktifiers going for now tho? I'm thinking I'm getting kind of a bad deal now, would you say they are worth 1,400 or less?

I don't know about the prices dude, they're pretty sky high here. I traded my 3 channel for mine though m/ :mad:

• Members

The racktifiers have always blown me away. AFI and From Autumn to Ashes still use theirs. I think they should reissue them.

If i had the scratch, I would own one in a minute.

1. Ractifiers

2. Blackface 2 channels

3. Roadking

4. Three channel.

no experience with the roadsters just yet.

• Members

wow, dude...good luck with the swap.

knowing what i know from owning my two amps (see sig), i would have a hard time doing that. both amps are awesome, and excel at the killer heavy sounds. while i expect you will love playing through the dual rec, and the many different high gain sounds it has...you might also miss how unique the effect/interaction the eq on the uber is.

if your tastes are anything like mine, you will probably be happy with either one. the recto clean is brighter and has less headroom than the uber, but it wont take you long to see why everyone loves the two channel's distortion sounds.

good luck, and enjoy.

russell

• Members

I honestly think my current Single Recto series II is the best sounding Recto head I`ve ever played through. The best clean tones by far and the heavier tones kill with the lower power curve. I seem to be able to run my Single at about 1.5 notches higher on the master volume than the Duals I`ve tried. It seems to "open up" a little earlier, although the volume difference is negligable.

The only "bad" thing about the Single is the lack of a third channel. To me it`s a little easier to set up the three channel Rectos in a live situation. The Single can easily do it, but takes some judicious tweaking to make it work for different rhythm and lead tones.

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

I honestly think my current Single Recto series II is the best sounding Recto head I`ve ever played through. The best clean tones by far and the heavier tones kill with the lower power curve. I seem to be able to run my Single at about 1.5 notches higher on the master volume than the Duals I`ve tried. It seems to "open up" a little earlier, although the volume difference is negligable.

The only "bad" thing about the Single is the lack of a third channel. To me it`s a little easier to set up the three channel Rectos in a live situation. The Single can easily do it, but takes some judicious tweaking to make it work for different rhythm and lead tones.

Eric

Eric,

I'm seriously considering a DR but from what I gather the single sounds better. I do need 3 channels though. What are some ways you get around only having 2 channels? What happens when its time to solo?

• Members

Originally posted by Tonemeister69

Eric,

I'm seriously considering a DR but from what I gather the single sounds better. I do need 3 channels though. What are some ways you get around only having 2 channels? What happens when its time to solo?

The best way I`ve seen is to use a combination of the solo feature with a good boost/OD pedal or an EQ pedal up front or in the loop.

My preference is to use my delay pedal for leads. I like to use a very short delay for leads since it thickens and smooths the tone out.

With a good boost pedal you could have four different tones at your disposal at all times. Not quite as versatile as the three channel models, but the killer tone makes up for it. Also the Single Recto is quite a bit tighter in the bottom end than the Duals. It still has way too much, over-kill bass if not dialed in properly, but at moderate levels it works great for faster palm muted stuff. I get a very good thrash type tone out of mine with the bass around 9:00-10:00, the mids at 12:00 and the treble at 12:00.

You may actually prefer the tone of the Duals though. It`s such a personal thing. Just don`t overlook the Single because it`s a two channel amp.

Eric

Archived