61 key vs 76 key

mcmurray

• Members

Personally, I'm quite happy with my 61+88 key set up. P-85 for piano parts, and K5000W for everything else. IMO, most of the time you'd need 76/88 keys only for the piano parts.

I've used 88+61 a lot, and it's okay, but I really prefer 88+73 (or 76), because I do a lot of left hand bass, and for that, I prefer to split the upper keyboard rather than the "piano", and splitting a 61 for left hand bass leaves you cramped for space on the right side of the split.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

61 keys is enough for allmost anything. Keep in mind that even with 61 key synths like the smaller 49 key ones, you can transpose the whole keyboard up and down 2-3 octaves. Personally Id hate to cart around more then 61 key synths for size and weight conciderations.

• Members

61 keys is enough for allmost anything. Keep in mind that even with 61 key synths like the smaller 49 key ones, you can transpose the whole keyboard up and down 2-3 octaves. Personally Id hate to cart around more then 61 key synths for size and weight conciderations.

Nope - not for guys from a traditional piano-playing background (like me)... even 76 keys is a compromise in certain songs or ambitious sections of a solo or heavy jam or whatever - but it is one compromise that is made knowingly to reduce size/weight of the cartage. :rolleyes:

Most guys who do a lot of true "piano" playing on their gigs will not be satisfied w/a 61 key machine. :cry:

• Members

No comment on the 61 vs 76. But I think you should reconsider Firewire. Firewire is being phased out. Most PCs sold today don't have firewire ports. Firewire was used mostly on Macs, and Apple is phasing it out too. Go with an interface that supports USB 2.0.

• Members

Yeah, if it's a second keyboard, 61 notes is probably OK. My Stage 88 satisfies my piano playing desires, and my 61 note M3 was cheap to buy and is fairly light.

Any reason for the XF and not the Kronos? In my book, the Kronos has the XF beat in most ways: * much better UI * real engines and not just a rompler *set list * seamless sound transitions * pianos, eps, synths, organs that rival the quality of soft synths * real audio recording (and not just in-track sampling) *the latest best Korg has to offer, not the end-of-life-cycle that Yamaha is still serving up * 8" touchscreen * KARMA *Drum track *Etc. I had the Motif XS for 2 years and was rarely inspired by the sounds, and hated the UI.

Yeah, isn't that a rip on the price of the 76 note? I've always thought that the 76 note sells for so much more than the 61 note as a justification for the much much higher price of the 88, like a stepping stone. My feeling is if they're going to charge $400-500 more for just a few more notes, then make it worthwhile: make the 76 note board the performance board, put the control wheels on top, and give us 80 notes (C-G), which would take up about the same amount of room as a 73/76'er with the control wheels traditionally placed.

This has been a constant dilemma for me: pay the extra price for the 76 note boards, and deal with the extra weight/length? After having my M3-61 for over a year now, I've realized I just need to suck it up and pay the extra price: as a piano player I HAVE to have those extra notes. When I buy a Kronos, it'll probably be a 73 note.

• Members

Go with 76. You need to think of the second board not only as an addition to your 88 controller but also as a back up if the 88 fails and leaves you stranded with only one board. Repairs can take a while.

• Members

Anyone know if there's a way to analyze midi notes and count the number of times each note is used? I've had the thought of recording my playlist in midi and seeing what i'm really using for a key range.

Archived